1970 CL350 project
Close

1970 CL350 project

This is a discussion on 1970 CL350 project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey everyone! Here is my introduction of my self and I though I would do my project build at the same time. to start things ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

1970 CL350 project

Hey everyone! Here is my introduction of my self and I though I would do my project build at the same time. to start things off I currently reside in good ol' Mormon ville salt lake utah woohoo
    I'm currently on my second bike(you don't even want to know the fist one)which as the post title says a 1970 Honda CL350 K2. and here is a pic of how I got her.
    I'm actually pretty far on this project so more photos to come.
    Mmmm caaffeee

here is the start of the tear down process.[8D] Every thing is going smoothly so far!
    Mmmm caaffeee

how does it run?

looks pretty complete except for the airbox. if you go with K&N's (fuck emgos), make sure you jet accordingly. i went up one size on my primary and two on my secondary, with the long K&N's and CL pipes with the shoe box muffler.
    ask me about my ADD or pie or my cat. a dog. i have a bike. Do you like TV? i saw a rock. hi.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by TheGreg

how does it run?
    Yeah, Braydon, get it running first before you tear it down anymore.

I guess and little more more info on the bike would be help full, I'm the second owner, 14,000 miles sat for most of It's life I got into this project knowing what I was going to do with it and it did ran when I got but with problems: carbs, timing, battery issues, the usual for a 30+ year old bike. I've all ready done a complete tear down, restore on the frame, engine gaskets, measured everything with a micrometer to check wear( which nothing was more the 0.002 which is normal wear according the the repair manual), timing, cleaned and checked the carbs, and have all ready put it back together, like I said I'm pretty far on this project.
    edit: I do have a pair of K&N's but I don't think I really like them but definitely not emgos [xx(]

Mmmm caaffeee

quote:Originally posted by Braydon

I've all ready done a complete tear down, restore on the frame, engine gaskets, measured everything with a micrometer to check wear( which nothing was more the 0.002 which is normal wear according the the repair manual), timing, cleaned and checked the carbs, and have all ready put it back together, like I said I'm pretty far on this project.
    OK. Sounds like you've made a lot of progress already. Greg and I were asking about whether it ran before disassembly because we get a lot of new guys posting here who start disassembling their bikes as soon as they get them. This can make problems for them later on because they have no idea if their motor is any good. So they may reassemble their bike only to find that they need to take the motor out again. Or they tear apart their motor only to find that it was OK in the first place.

The usual wisdom around here is to not disassemble a motor unless it's absolutely necessary. In other words, disassemble only if you have determined, by careful inspection and measurement, that the motor has a fault that requires disassembly, such as burned valves, worn rings, low oil pressure, rod knock, piston slap, large metal bits in the oil, etc.

You usually aren't supposed to disassemble just to mic the wear. The reasons for this are: 1) expense and time, and 2) the possibility of messing up or losing parts during disassembly/reassembly, and 3) uneccessary wear on fasteners, threads and the possible marring of gasket surfaces. Mainly, you want to save your time, money and energy for work that will give the most benefit.

There are probably lots of exceptions to the above. Racers may tear down their motors between races, to make sure they will not break down during the next race. Or maybe a motor has leaks and needs to have several gaskets replaced.

quote:Originally posted by Braydon

it did ran when I got but with problems: carbs, timing, battery issues.
    So, what we were really asking is did you sort these tuning problems out (clean and adjust carbs, set timing) to see if the motor could be made to run well before disassembly? The usual advice around here is to take your time and try tuning the bike before disassembly so you can properly determine the condition of the motor (bonus: a proper test ride will also reveal bent forks/frame, worn swingarm bushings, bad brakes and shocks, etc).

If a motor runs strong after carb cleaning and timing, then great, no teardown required. But if it reveals fundamental problems like piston ring wear or a bad valve, then you have gained valuable information that you couldn't easily get otherwise, and which will help you to know what to look for upon disassembly. It may even help you to decide whether it is even worthwhile to fix a particular motor.

Ignore all of the above if you are an experienced mechanic; it is meant for new guys.

Thanks for the info, but I have some experience under my belt, in the end the problem is funds [V]

getting there with old seat, got the new one in the mail last week
    Mmmm caaffeee

Thanks for the info, but I have some experience under my belt, in the end the problem is funds [V]

getting there with old seat, got the new one in the mail last week
    Mmmm caaffeee

getting where with the seat? upside down handlebars? i love those flat sided tanks, its a shame that you just painted it flat black (bleh)...

please tell me everything that you measured for wear...
    ask me about my ADD or pie or my cat. a dog. i have a bike. Do you like TV? i saw a rock. hi.

getting where with the seat? upside down handlebars? i love those flat sided tanks, its a shame that you just painted it flat black (bleh)...

please tell me everything that you measured for wear...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links