Erik's CL360 Build - Page 3
Close

Erik's CL360 Build

This is a discussion on Erik's CL360 Build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Get the tank and carbs off and cleaned, replace all fuel lines and fuel filter. Get a battery. If the electrics are sound get it ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Get the tank and carbs off and cleaned, replace all fuel lines and fuel filter. Get a battery. If the electrics are sound get it running...that is the first goal...there can be no other....

First post...hi

Geeto- Thats what I am certainly hoping for.

tsd- Absolutely and welcome.

Well its been awhile, life gets in the way and couldn't find time to work on the bike. But I got the carbs off and they look horrible and having never worked on to be quite honest really anything mechanical I figured I was way over my head to clean these carbs up so I took them to a mechanic I was referred to since he does such a great job on carbs and he for the most part flat out refused to work on them and if he agreed to do it then the job would end up costing me a couple hundred bucks. So I said fuck it and took them home, tore them apart, and cleaned it myself. Which was one hell of a learning experience. So I threw them back on, changed the oil and put in some fresh gas, and tried it out...to no avail. But a nights rest led me to realize that the tank its pretty gunked up before but I somehow overlook the petcock. So I took that apart too, cleaned it and put it back on. Put in some more fresh gas and it started up right away. All in all it cost me about $30 and an education which I must say is quite a win when I was looking at hundreds of dollars in costs before.

Still a long ways to go and I imagine its only going to get costlier as far as parts go but I am getting more and more confident with working on this bike. But its a good start and to hear my bike for the first time was pretty fantastic. Now off to school so I wont get the chance to work on it till October.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Also I understand that all of this probably sounds like childs play to pretty much everybody on here but for someone who up till now has only driven motorcycles without actually working on them, this is fairly mind blowing stuff. Just keep that in mind.

you mechanic doesnt sound too capable if he refused to clean a couple of small motorcycle carbs.

fuel filters are your friend.
    ask me about my ADD or pie or my cat. a dog. i have a bike. Do you like TV? i saw a rock. hi.

Yeah, definitely put an inline filter between the tank and the carbs. You don't want any gunk getting in your clean carbs.

Forman65,
    You're in the right place. Be patient and respectful and these guys will steer you right. Get a manual. Do as much research on the interwebs as you can. If you ask well thought out, sensible questions, and learn how to post pics so they can see what you're talking about, you'll learn a lot here. These guys know shit tons about bikes.
    1988 FZ600

TheGreg- Yeah I got the impression that he really doesn't like working on old bikes. Fuel filters were another thing I have down to get, would really hate to have to pull those carbs off again to clean after a short time.

mickey356- Thanks to searching I was able to find a very helpful pdf of the manual although I'll be looking for a hard copy soon. I've gotten the impression of how much these guys know from other posts and it's a bit intimidating but I definitely feel I am at the right place for this project.

seeing how there is no chain on the bike you posted a picture of, i would say yes, it needs replacing. replace front/rear sprockets at the same time. also find a front fender brace to replace the missing one.
    ask me about my ADD or pie or my cat. a dog. i have a bike. Do you like TV? i saw a rock. hi.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links