1972 Honda CL100 Cafe Racer Project
Close

This is a discussion on 1972 Honda CL100 Cafe Racer Project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey all, New to the forum and the world of motorcycle ownership. I got a 1972 Honda CL100 Rolling Chassis for $150.00. With the CL ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hey all, New to the forum and the world of motorcycle ownership. I got a 1972 Honda CL100 Rolling Chassis for $150.00. With the CL I got the full frame, engine, transmission, Showa rear shocks and forks and some sort of Honda wheels I have yet to identify. I have been ordering parts as I can afford them off E-bay. Today I found a 1970 SL100 Enduro, I was planning on using it as a parts bike, I know not everything is interchangeable I was wondering if anyone had any info on what is interchangeable. I will link to my pics in another post on the same thread. I will also be posting pics on my progress as I go. I would really appreciate any pointers and hints you more experienced owners can provide. Thanks!

I like little toy bikes... Here is my '70 CL100 I restored:

Just use an online fiche site to identify and cross reference parts.

The little Hondas are simple and easy to work with as long as you have $$, time, some mechanical experience, (JIS) tools, a good factory service manual, patience, a multimeter, common sense, a sense of humor.....etc... etc...

Also, I recommend you read this book:

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

First use the IMG link form photobucket

Thats mine

Wholly holes batman! what did you buy?
    These bikes SUCK as cafe racers or what ever you think cafes are. I had one and it was almost unrideable. They are just to small and hard to do the mods necessary to make work.
    The dragon tattoo bike has a few newbie bandwagon jumping fails on it. Read up around here and get an idea what they are.
    That said its not the worst thing to build to.

Personally I would take that SL frame and build up a mini baja bike out of it. Much more useable every day and I think more fun
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

http://www.oldrice.com/Cycle125.html

few cool articles on the oldrice site

Stock or something like that
    Low bars and such suck on these bikes
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Do us all a favor and go kill yourself. Ok maybe not kill yourself but something to knock some sense into you.

Jag, the 125 motorsport is a different bike. It may be the same engine but IIRC it is physically bigger than the cb/cl 125.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

nice CL Jag...

that reminds to look around again for a sweet parcel rack for mine !

The SL bikes (100, 125, 350) all had the word motorsport listed near them. Kinda like a CBXXX*F always had super sport near by

He has the parts and can build a bike like that article, way cooler then a ghey cafe out of one

Dean,
    I love the rack, its so helpful.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Nice CL jag. I know, the holes. The guy I bought it from bought it from someone who was using it as a flat tracker. Why they thought making swiss cheeses out of any available surface would really help them on the track I have no clue.

The dragon tattoo bike was the first bike I saw in a long time that I liked. I am so used to seeing mid life crisis Harleys, I forgot bikes could be cool. And as far as I understand a "Cafe" is a bike stripped of non essentials and comfort items. I know speed is the object with a Cafe, but with my budget and lack of experience I thought I would start small. As for the "fails", I would love to see an honest critique of what is wrong with it.
    The frame for the Enduro is something I have not thought about, getting the Enduro was only a development that came about this afternoon. I might just have to sell it to fund this build.
    Holy shit! Nader wrote a follow up? What a sense of humor on that guy!

Geeto, you know killing myself is not as easy as it sounds? Jumping a Geo Prizim through a house, and Congestive heart failure were just not enough. Maybe a motorcycle will finish the job nature could not. An honest critique may help me see the error of my ways faster than a concussion or death.

Having a bike exactly like the article is not that important, right now speed is not either. Just something I like to look at, and ride. A REAL mans cafe bike can always come later. I need to learn how to ride something more powerful than a moped or scooter without ending up in a wheel chair, again.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really do appreciate it.

Dean, what is the Bike behind your CL?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links