Honda cm400t
Close

Honda cm400t

This is a discussion on Honda cm400t within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I know, not really the best bike for a cafe project, but it's what I had available. paid $600. You'll find this to be a ...

Thread: Honda cm400t

Honda cm400t

I know, not really the best bike for a cafe project, but it's what I had available. paid $600. You'll find this to be a learning experience from me, so though i'm anticipating a lot of criticism, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

When I bought it, it hadn't been started up in over a year and still had gas and oil in it. Also the bars were bent, clutch lever broken, and headlight and blinkers broken. (maybe I overpaid a bit.. like I said, learning experience)

I drained all the fluids, put in new fluids/filters/ and cleaned out the carbs (which were actually pretty clean to began with believe it or not)

Also, threw on some clip-ons and ordered a stock seat from dimecity.
    what it looks like now: still a little rough around the edges, but slowly making it my own.

i finally got it all back together and tried to fire it up over the weekend and:
    nothing. I pushed the button, nothing happened.
    To test the starter magnetic switch, I touched the cable leading to the starter to the cable leading to the battery (bypassing said switch) and it turned over without problem.
    I actually thought it'd start like that, but no dice.

I pulled out a spark plug and repeated the process, and it doesn't appear to be sparking. Any ideas? Could it have anything to do with the lights and crap not being there anymore?

I know I approached this all wrong, but this is the situation I find myself in now.
    Any advice?

Also, my carb seems to be leaking a little bit of fuel from the bar that connects the two carbs. Does anyone have any input on that? I don't remember there being a gasket on the inside there, but i'm going to take them apart and check it out anyway. Probably going to look for a kit that contains all of the carb gaskets if I can find one.

Any words of wisdom from you guys would be awesome. I'll be messing with it this weekend anyway and I'll report back if I find anything.

p.s. sorry for not filling out my profile yet. it's late and I work early tomorrow.
    My name is Travis, I'm a total noob, and I live in southern California.

wiring diagram. Get one. You can probably find it on google image search. Also look for a manual online (pdf) or physical one.

Very likely the "lights and crap" portion of the wiring harness has a lot of useful things that were disconnected. Unless its the handlebar switch itself the starter issues is probably from same origin.

-

oh also - lots of carb rebuild kits in this world that come with almost right parts. So if you get one be critical and compare the jet sizes etc. instead of just blindly putting in the new parts.
    -

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

There should be an O ring or two in the T piece joining the carbs. More than likely it is missing or perished. You can get them from hardware stores.

As for no spark - what kero said.

Also I can't see if you're running pods but those carbs don't like them at all. The bike will run worse than stock (if that's possible).

Keep the airbox.

Sponsored Links