CL350 "cafe" inspired project
Close

This is a discussion on CL350 "cafe" inspired project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I finally found a CL350 for my "cafe" inspired project. After buying and flipping 3 bikes to finally get this one I am excited to ...

I finally found a CL350 for my "cafe" inspired project. After buying and flipping 3 bikes to finally get this one I am excited to get this thing running. I know what I am going for is not a true "cafe", but would appreciate any technical help that members can provide. I will post pics as I go. Thanks ahead of time.

So here is what I finally ended up with.

I picked it up for $200.00. The engine was seized but the seller threw in an engine that was not. When he put the exhaust in my truck I did not notice that he had given me two top pipes, I finally tracked down a complete set at the local salvage yard. I have ordered a complete set of gaskets, cables, chain, carb and petcock rebuild kits. I have new parts coming in daily, its like Christmas every day when I get home from work. I also ordered a Clymer guide but they sent one for fours instead of twins, Amazon is sending the new one this week.

There are a few parts like intake boots I am having a difficulty time finding in good condition. The bike did not come with a headlight. I was thinking of upgrading to one I can just change a bulb instead of a sealed unit. If anyone has any ideas on what I should get I would appreciate it. Also if any of you have any extra parts I would gladly buy them.

I am planning on pulling the bike apart to get Sand blasted and powder coated this week. I also need to clean the tank, it has some rust, I have seen various cleaning methods, if anyone has any tried and true methods I would like to hear them. I have some rust on the chrome pieces too, anyone have any tips on that? I used naval jelly on one of my bikes when I was a kid and fucked up the chrome, I have used foil to scrub it off with less than optimal results.

I know there is going to be a ton of hate, but this is what I am building too, but not exactly:

I know, I know, the Dragon tattoo bike. But I love the way it looks. I know it is not a true "cafe". But I am not totally into the looks of most Cafe bikes.
    I think it was Jag who said there were a few "fails" on the Dragon bike. I still have yet to identify these. I would appreciate someone helping to point them out.

For me I am going to have to use rear sets. Using the stock foot controls my knees are going to make contact with my arms, and the riding position is going to suck with stock foot controls. I have found some on a certain website, not sure if it is cool to reference a site that sells parts on this forum. I hear Tarozzi makes good rear sets. If anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate it.

For the hand controls I am thinking I am just going to have to notch the bars and run the wires externally. I do not see any way around it.

Thats all I can think of for now. Breaking Bad is about to start and I miss that show for nothing. Any help and advice more experienced members can give me on the build is appreciated.

One more thing. My clubmans are 10.5". The bars on this bike are much shorter. What are the drawbacks and benefits of shorter or longer bars? Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Pretty lofty goal.

Sponsored Links