'78 Honda CM185T: to cafe or not to cafe?
Close

This is a discussion on '78 Honda CM185T: to cafe or not to cafe? within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have a 78 Honda CM185T, and I want your thoughts on whether or not (adv/disadvantages) to make it into a racer or ride it ...

I have a 78 Honda CM185T, and I want your thoughts on whether or not (adv/disadvantages) to make it into a racer or ride it as is. Here's a video: to get you started.

Here's the story: bought last winter/spring to learn/test on start diving into Hondas, and perhaps invest in it cafe-wise. Great size 185cc, low miles (<4k) all there, great price $300, not running. The guy I bought it from said after riding it around as his commuter all summer (note the registration had just expired, so I believed him) it just died one day while idling in the driveway..."might need a coil." Hmmm. After screwing around for awhile, thinking he had charged it with a 12V charger instead of the 6V it uses, and testing various ignition stuff (missing a crucial one as you'll see) I was stumped, lost interest and moved to Vermont. But it wouldn't leave my mind.

So on a visit back into Eugene, I brought it up to a buddy. "Points" he said. Fuck me, obviously. So, after cleaning the points. Bam, started right up. So, now I have this bike ready to go, the question is: cafe or no?

It's not entirely original, mostly by way of the paint. Take off the side covers and you see that the plastic was maroon, bummer. But it still has the owners manual and a couple fuses inside one of the covers. Awesome. SO, it's not like it's really a candidate for restoration (or even that valuable if it was brought back). BUT, it runs, and does have a certain late seventies college student starter bike style (god those handle bars are ridiculous) and good chrome.

So, I guess my question is: is it a tragedy to mess with it? It's not a CB, it's a CM. Am I taking a classic out of the preservation vault or did I get lucky and have a great chance to cut my teeth on a pretty basic cafe ride?

Any and all thoughts/philosophies/considerations accepted...I've got the time to think it over: not only is winter coming on, but I'm in Dakar, Senegal on a Fulbright for 9 months...I'll be occupied with Vespas for awhile.

leave it the way it is and sell it...

We had a CM200.... a little bike to teach the wife how to ride....

It had to be the slowest bike I have ever ridden... I can only imagine what a 185 would be like... (and this is coming from someone who has a CL100 as an errand running toy )

and the CM is a cruiser to boot... it's all wrong.. it's not even a good toy bike....

Oddball little bike, precursor to the more available and popular CMX250 Rebel. We used one as a trainer a long time ago at the school. Nobody would ride it since it was so fucking ugly. Always the last one selected. It was because of that bike we started assigning bikes to students instead of letting them pick one themselves.

The bike is a little two-wheeled tank, but as far as doing any performance/aesthetic modifications - why bother? Eugene (where I was born and raised, thankyouverymuch) is chock-full of college hipster douchebags, and is also the last bastion of pure hippiedom. I'm sure someone will pay good money or part with a reasonable amount of OG Kush for that bike. Then, you can turn your attention and effort to a real candidate for modification.

I believe we have run out of trolls.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Wait. You're in Senegal, an exotic place with a thousand fantastic things to see and do and learn. And you're there on a Fulbright scholarship, so presumably you have a meaningful task at hand, research to do, contacts to make, people to interview, etc. And, you don't even have access to the bike you're asking about (and apparently will not have access to it for some time), because it's on the other side of the fucking world from where you are now.

Dude, get your priorities straight. Focus. It sounds like you are presently in the midst of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and your mind is drifting to a tinkertoy thousands of miles away. A disposable commuter bike that might be worthy of a few hours your time on a rainy weekend back home, when you have nothing better to do.

You wanted advice, so here it is: focus your attention on the opportunity you have been presented with, and make the most of it. If you find your attention drifting to less relevant things, exercise some discipline. Like the buddhist monks say, the distracted mind is like a puppy; it needs to be trained, gently and consistently or it will shit all over your carpet. Wait, well, you get the idea.

+ a million for OC Steve's comments.
    -

+ a million for OC Steve's comments.
    -

like Steve said.

like Steve said.

stray puppy being disciplined now. thanks.

stray puppy being disciplined now. thanks.

Sponsored Links