Airbox Issues
Close

Airbox Issues

This is a discussion on Airbox Issues within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello all, I'm a new member with a couple of new bikes I managed to get a 78' CB400Tii without a title and a 82' ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airbox Issues

Airbox Issues

Hello all,
    I'm a new member with a couple of new bikes
    I managed to get a 78' CB400Tii without a title and a 82' Cb450SC with a "seized" engine.
    An engine swap later I find myself with a 400cc motor in a 450 frame. I can't complain. I learned a lot about bikes in the process; before I'd only ridden a Ke175. A plus of the 400cc, according to my Clymer's manuals,is that is has greater compression and a higher top speed.
    I plan to port it later. I am making a seat and tank. I have the wiring issues sorted out, carbs all cleaned and airtight but the airbox isn't. The boots are too short for a proper seal. I could: (1)fabricate a mount for the carb, using rubber to minimize vibration and put pod filters on it. Then re-jet once I have the 2 to 1 exhaust on.
    (2)find some way to extend the boots. I was thinking maybe fire hose?or rubber tubing if I can find it..
    Any suggestion?
    TANSTAAFL

Okay...I realize that you guys aren't all that excited about putting another Honda on the street but I want you to understand that this is a learner, something that looks good and goes but if fairly inexpensive; something I can destroy without to much worry. it and then upgrading to... well I want a Norton Featherbed frame but I am also seriously considering the purchase of an old Harley Sprint frame, looks like you could fit damn near anything on that stick if you were willing to fabricate the rest of the basket. A little help would be greatly appreciated.
    TANSTAAFL

i know its a four cylinder but just convert it to 2 this will run any honda

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

you have to be careful. putting too long of a stack will affect running. how about making an airbox? how much distance are you talking about?

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

quote:Originally posted by miffa

Thats a good one
    "Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

And more of a tech section thread/tittle than project build.
    -

It's only a 1/4 inch at most. The rubber velocity stack part of the boot is inside of the airbox but the seal is not all that airtight. The problem is that the airbox is bumped up against the frame as far as it can be and the boots won't stretch any further to the carbs. Even If I did get it to work I think that the stress on the joints would inevitably cause the boots to come off. Honestly i'm starting to feel that the AIRBOX is the headache. The carb is relatively easy to take off and dissassmble/reassemble and I just may go with pods and find a better way to secure the carbs.
    TANSTAAFL

just do a few simple searches here about pods. You will not get it run well with pods.
    1/4" will not change your stack length too much to make bike run like crap.

-

with out pictures its hard to offer fixes... how about pvc pipe as an extension, or nice polished aluminun tube ... or perhaps intercooler coupling hose...or even fuel filler hose off a junked pickup..
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

We need to see what you are seeing.

Did the stacks in the airbox shrink? If so why not buy a pair from your dealer?

Is it because of the change of motors? If so I'd be tempted to make up a simple spacer for the carbs out of 1/4" aluminum plate.

The way to fit the airbox is usually to connect the boots to the carbs and tighten the clamps and then attach the box to the frame. It might just work on yours if the boots are not too shrunk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links