8Ball's winter project - Page 14
Close

8Ball's winter project

This is a discussion on 8Ball's winter project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; The hose isn’t being forced in any shape. There isn’t much tension on the band. Just enough pressure to prevent the hose sliding over the ...

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 8Ball's winter project

The hose isn’t being forced in any shape. There isn’t much tension on the band. Just enough pressure to prevent the hose sliding over the barb on the fitting.

And the devices you are referring to? I call them Satan Clamps, because that is who I am convinced was the original designer. There isn’t enough room for one of those, either. The two protrusions that face the center prevent the ability to get a pair of needle nose in there. And I am afraid the tabs would hit the protrusions, acting to relieve the clamp pressure. It is a really tight space.....specially with that thick fuel hose that’s on it.
    Last edited by 8ball; 11-28-2018 at 05:51 AM.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

You need band and buckle clamps, or band clamps. They are both low profile, much more reliable and they get a good tight seal. McMaster sells kits for the band and buckle clamps, or the band clamps per unit.

Name:  band_and_buckle.png
Views: 92
Size:  15.5 KB

Name:  band_clamp.png
Views: 94
Size:  13.2 KB

ive bin to banned camp

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

So I took the bike out with the new bars and it was comfortable....until the pace wicked up a bit. I found that if I didn’t trail brake all the way past the apex of every curve, the front end would start skipping and try to fold up on me. It felt good under braking, but mid corner it was scary. Symptoms that point to either too much spring rate, or lack of rebound damping.

With the new bars, my new body position took weight off the front end. So the first step was to remove it 12mm preload spacers I had on top of the springs. I took the bike out again and it was better, but the front still seemed a little bit unsettled. The next step was to increase the fork oil wt. So I went from 15wt to 20wt. Hopefully that will cure the front end blues.
    Name:  2F02EA66-CB05-4AC9-9B18-83DC09C60348.jpeg
Views: 33
Size:  2.10 MB
    jcw likes this.

.... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

jcw
    I like people that aren't afraid to experiment with and dial in the forks...

So what you are saying is by trailing the brakes, you are forcing the front end to stay down. Once you let off the brakes, the front springs up too fast and feels vague.

Makes sense. increasing rebound dampening and a thicker oil will slow the rebound but ultimately you might need a lighter front spring.
    Dropping the front end will help with weight transfer onto the front and help keep the front loaded.

keep it up and post your results...

Oh yeah, loose head bearing preload and wheel bearings can cause a similar situation as well as tire condition and way off tire pressures.
    Last edited by jcw; 04-07-2019 at 12:43 AM.

With the 20wt oil, and the preload spacers removed, the bike felt much better entering corners and through the middle of the turn. The absolute need to trail brake hard into a turn to avoid chatter, and the tendency of the front wheel to fold mid-corner were gone. The only issue was that the front felt a bit sloppy at the top of the stroke. I could feel the lack of any spring tension at full extension.

One of the guys I regularly hang out with at the Deals Gap restaurant had a small air pump in his bag, so I put 5 psi in each leg and made a few more passes. It was like a switch got turned on! I was literally giggling in my helmet because it was handling so well.

That feeling of euphoria that happens when a bike is railing through turns better than it was ever designed to do is something the angle grinder wielding “art-bike” crowd will never experience..... And that is a shame!

Name:  4D9B8B9B-13D1-40CE-BFC1-3E4CF9DF7CCC.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  3.95 MB
    Name:  2F88322A-81CA-4D97-8DBC-358DB05A2451.jpeg
Views: 18
Size:  1.56 MB
    Name:  E99503FD-DB63-4212-975F-A74E5A3BBA55.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  2.12 MB
    Last edited by 8ball; 05-14-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    TrialsRider and woodsman like this.

My GS550 Build Thread

Holy I wish I had an autobahn like that near where I live :|

you should invest in a low pressure air gauge and a mini air pump like the one I carry for the trials bikes.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 05-14-2019 at 05:07 PM.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
    I was literally giggling in my helmet because it was handling so well.
    This is the same feeling I'm having with my trackbike at the moment.
    I'm riding yesterday and thinking, damn, this thing is doing everything I'm asking it to do. And with minimal effort, too. The only limit is how hard to I want to push it on the street.
    It's a great feeling...

And most of it has to do with setting up the bike rather than expensive new parts. Granted an older bike (30-40yo) is gonna benefit more from newer technology...

Of course that means actually riding the bike to know where it needs attention. Another thing that the artsy-fartsy crowd doesn't understand either...
    ...My bike is very Pouncy...
    f*ck u all

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    This is the same feeling I'm having with my trackbike at the moment.
    I'm riding yesterday and thinking, damn, this thing is doing everything I'm asking it to do. And with minimal effort, too. The only limit is how hard to I want to push it on the street.
    It's a great feeling...

And most of it has to do with setting up the bike rather than expensive new parts. Granted an older bike (30-40yo) is gonna benefit more from newer technology...

Of course that means actually riding the bike to know where it needs attention. Another thing that the artsy-fartsy crowd doesn't understand either...
    I’ve only had my R6 out once, this season. I’ve been out on the GS about a half dozen times, so far. The R6 is so much easier to get through the road, at a much faster pace, but the old bike is much more visceral and is becoming just as much fun.....even at a 10-15 mph slower pace.
    Last edited by 8ball; 05-14-2019 at 10:35 PM.

My GS550 Build Thread

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Sponsored Links