8Ball's winter project - Page 4
Close

8Ball's winter project

This is a discussion on 8Ball's winter project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; OK, it's been a while...mainly 'cuz I've been out of town, but I got home and today I got back to the GS: Today I ...

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 8Ball's winter project

OK, it's been a while...mainly 'cuz I've been out of town, but I got home and today I got back to the GS:

Today I started to work on the electrical component tray. First the general shape was cut out of cardboard:
    Name:  101.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  32.8 KB

That was transferred onto the sheet metal, and cut out:
    Name:  102.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  36.0 KB

Using my backyard sheet metal break, I got the bends done...
    Name:  103.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  41.4 KB

Then I laid out the components where they will end up. Man that Shorai battery is small! (2.25" X 3" X 4", and about a pound):
    Name:  104.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  43.9 KB

The rectifier will end up mounted on the bottom of the tray so it will get plenty of cooling air.
    Last edited by 8ball; 07-30-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Today I finished up the electrics:

I got everything mounted on the tray and laid out the wiring:
    Name:  114.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  103.7 KB

I did have to lengthen the cable from the starter to the starter relay, and make a new negative batt cable, so I had to figure out how to crimp a 6 gauge wire terminal without spending a bunch of money on a crimper. So I used my AMP crimper in the 10 gauge slot to start the crimp, then finished the crimp in a vise. Then flowed solder into the crimp for a complete connection. Ugly, yes, but 100% connected:
    Name:  113.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  59.7 KB
    This is where all the electrical components used to be, behind the side panels:
    Name:  089.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  103.1 KB

...and this is how it looks, now:
    Name:  115.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  87.2 KB

Tune in next time when this gauge cluster get fluster chucked! ...or, fun with LEDs

Name:  112.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  94.0 KB
    Last edited by 8ball; 07-30-2017 at 06:37 PM.

...so the original cluster is an abomination, IMO, so I gutted it and painted the gauges (mentioned in a previous post). I still wanted the indicator lights, so I took the inside housing and flipped it upside down:
    Name:  105.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  53.0 KB

Then I cut a plate out:
    Name:  106.jpg
Size:  46.9 KB

and mounted it on the housing:
    Name:  107.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  49.7 KB

One of the light socket holes was unused, so I used it as a mounting point:
    Name:  110.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  58.8 KB

Drilled holes for the LED's and painted it black:
    Name:  118.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  120.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  52.0 KB
    Name:  121.jpg
Size:  62.3 KB

And done!
    Name:  117.jpg
Size:  78.6 KB
    Name:  122.jpg
Size:  95.2 KB
    Last edited by 8ball; 07-30-2017 at 06:44 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Update time:

These cheap Chinese RFY shocks were included in the pile-o-parts I got with the bike.
    Name:  123.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  84.4 KB

CrazyPJ, is the only person that I have found that has rebuilt these things, and he states that they are not bad, but out of the box, they don't have enough oil, or Nitrogen. And I found that to be the case with mine...

....so it's "service time". And a HUGE thanks to PJ for answering my few...OK, a dozen....questions. Between PJ's help and the following video from Youtube, I was ready to tackle a set of shocks for the first time.

First, I bough an adjustable pin spanner wrench I found on eBay for 6 bucks (also good for my angle grinder)
    Name:  130.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  60.2 KB

Next, I need a spring compressor..which I don't have...but I do have a bead breaker on my tire machine:
    Name:  124.jpg
Size:  83.1 KB
    ..and the center stand that was removed from the GS...
    Name:  125.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  66.0 KB
    ...and some flat stock...and a vise...
    Name:  126.jpg
Size:  85.7 KB

Some creative use of a tie down to stabilize it, and now it's a make shift spring compressor:
    Name:  128.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  79.6 KB

With the spring off and the seal retainer removed (with the pin spanner wrench) I cut an 8" piece of tubing off of an old porch swing this is in the scrap heap. With the spring seats, a couple of washers and the shock shaft nut, I used the tubing as a puller to pull the shaft seal.
    Name:  129.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  74.3 KB

Here it is disassembled:
    Name:  127.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  103.3 KB

To reassemble, I followed the youtube video, with a few small modifications for the differences in design. In CrazyPJ's build, he drilled and tapped the shock body to install a bleed screw in this spot:
    Name:  131.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  65.3 KB

I didn't have a way to counter bore the hole to accept an o-ring, so I didn't do it. It isn't necessary, but it is a great idea, and allows you to get every bit of air out of the shock.

Here they are re-assembled. I took them to a tire store and had them charge them with 75 psi of Nitrogen.
    Name:  132.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  78.2 KB

Job done. Oh, I used 10 wt fork oil. We'll see how well it works. I might need to go up or down in weight.
    Last edited by 8ball; 07-30-2017 at 06:52 PM.

There hasn't been a whole lot of reportable progress on this project in the last few weeks due to my work travel schedule, but I did get a couple of things done.

I spent a few hours cleaning the swing arm and rear wheel, then installed a new chain and sprockets:
    Name:  133.jpg
Size:  42.2 KB
    Name:  134.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  50.8 KB

I also set the front fork oil level and installed some 1.5 inch spacers in the forks to set the front sag where I wanted it (aprox 1 inch) and it also raised the front ride hide to where it should be. The static sag seemed a bit too excessive before.
    Since the fork tubes are just a bit too small for 3/4" inch PVC, I used 1/2" PVC and some 1" fender washers to keep everything flat (pictured are the 2" spacers that I started with, and found did not allow enough sag):
    Name:  137.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  36.5 KB

Ride height before:
    Name:  137 (2).JPG
Size:  55.3 KB
    Ride height after:
    Name:  138.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  58.7 KB

I also had an OCD moment. When I adjusted the valves, I rotated the engine without the shims in the buckets (shim over bucket arrangement). I found out later that this is not good on a GS engine, although not as catastrophic as I was first led to believe. Yes I did score the edges of my cam lobes, but I dressed them with a small file and I made sure that no filings were in the valve cover area. This was a few weeks ago.....my OCD kicked in and I removed the valve cover again, today, to double check for metal filings and shavings in the top deck. All is good and I should start carb tuning tomorrow. Hopefully I will have some warm, dry days soon to do some plug chops.
    Last edited by 8ball; 07-30-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Got it running and got the pilot circuits dialed in, and I was gonna do a few plug chop runs to see how the needle and main jet settings are.....when the heavens opened up.

Out for some test/tuning runs.
    Name:  140.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  120.9 KB

Name:  139.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  111.2 KB

Running a bit lean, still.

This is the part of bike building that gets tiresome QUICKLY!!! I am sooooo thankful for fuel injection!!! Not working some where? A little off idle stumble? Flat spot at 5000 RPM? No problem! Hook the laptop up the the PowerCommander...a few clicks...<Enter>, and boom! put the computer back in the backpack and try out your new tweaks. No pulling the bike apart...No draining carb bowls...No gasoline smell all over your hands (and clothes so your wife makes you get undressed in the garage and leave them there).

Tank off and carbs about to be removed......again.....
    Name:  143.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  68.6 KB
    Name:  144.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  55.2 KB

Float height is good. cyllinders 1 and 4 seem slightly richer than 2 and 3. Wonder if one coil is weaker than the other. Easy to check out by swapping the coils. input to both of the coils is 11.94 Volts. Batt voltage is 12.29 (with the bike not running and headlight off) With the bike not running and the headlight on, the coil volts are 10.97 Volts. Nope, not the issue.

Ended up with 100 mains on the outer cylinders, and 102.5's on the inners. #3 is still slightly lean. Checked for leaks around the intake boot. Found none. made sure the clamp on the carb had a good bite Some duct tape between the clamp and the boot helped.

Sync'ed pretty good (#4 gave me a little trouble)...
    Name:  142.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  62.8 KB

Revisited the idle circuit settings and went for a quick ride before it started to rain. Running much better. Very smooth power and pulls good, but I still think the #3 is a tad on the lean side......

...it sucks having this particular form of OCD
    !

Last edited by 8ball; 07-30-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Here are a couple of shots from last Friday when I had the old GS out:
    Name:  79 GS550 1.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  3.36 MB
    Name:  79 GS550 2.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  3.01 MB

The front end needs some work. It is really harsh and it feels like it is connected to another motorcycle.....and I think that bike may even be on a different road. I'll be playing around more with fork oil levels and weight, spring pre-load and ride height. Also the term brakes on this thing is a bit of an exaggeration. I can pretty much lock up the front tire, but it seems to want to fold up and hide under the bike during hard braking.....and it is a really more of a retardation of speed than stopping.

There is a reason they don't build them like they used to!

...so today I took the modern bike (still 10 years old) out and remind myself of that reason! Dusting off some pucks:
    Name:  avatar 4.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  48.1 KB
    Last edited by 8ball; 07-30-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    WERA689 likes this.

So I did a little tweaking....

The front end was very harsh. I had originally set the fork oil level at 140 mm (compressed with spring removed), which translated to 200cc. The service manual called for 165cc, but the stock ride height has the forks sitting about 2 1/2 inches into the fork travel, and the front seemed too low. So I set the fork oil level closer to what I used to run on my old race bikes in the 90's which also had damper rod forks. And added pre-load spacers to for the springs to get the ride height and static sag where I want it.

I took the fork oil out and measured what the service manual calls for and that translates to 205mm fork oil level, a difference of 65mm. I raised it slightly to 195mm, because I have raised the static ride height with pre-load spacers. And the front end feels 10 times better!

Next I needed to deal with the rear brake. The linkage set up I made for the rear sets was a bit.....well, not effective. I couldn't even get it to slow the bike down. I don't use the rear brake, usually, but since the front brake on this bike is pretty weak, The rear needs to work....at least some!

The link I welded to the collar was too short:
    Name:  081.jpg
Size:  120.7 KB

....so I made a new, longer one:

[img]http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae106/werwin/GS%20Cafe/386D6D39-D214-4153-9AC3-9C641BA66BDE-17785-00001DA7B048A8BD_zps6badf3e0.jpg[img]
    Name:  145.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  37.4 KB
    Name:  146.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  47.7 KB

Now I can lock up the rear...with a little effort...but it is plenty. I will clean it up a bit, paint it and be done with that part. Aside from some more carb fine tuning, the bike should be good enough for the rest of the season, to ride around and figure what needs to be done next winter.
    Last edited by 8ball; 07-30-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Looking Good!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links