Ducati Monza Junior-?
Close

Ducati Monza Junior-?

This is a discussion on Ducati Monza Junior-? within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Just purchased another Ducati yesterday. Non running Ducati Monza Junior 160, BUT 100% complete. Question....or input... I love the single cylinder small light and nimble ...

Ducati Monza Junior-?

Just purchased another Ducati yesterday. Non running Ducati Monza Junior 160, BUT 100% complete. Question....or input... I love the single cylinder small light and nimble cafe racers.. I was leaning toward a complete 100% restoration to stock form...but think it would be a great cafe racer project...any bikes out there like this?
    Any clue on the value($) of stock price compared to a mod/cafe racer. I guess that will be my deciding factor.
    ScreamnTurtle

I have one- 1964. Have owned it off and on since about 1977. All original with a nice patina. In a weak moment I listed it for sale for $2500. Then I decided that I didn't want to sell it afterall. One fellow was very interested.

My buddy had a nicely modified one, low bars, long benelli tank, cafe seat, that light ducati green paint. The wiring was weird but he rode it in several giros. He sold his for $2500 a couple years ago at Rhinebeck (big vintage bike show here in NY if you are not familiar).

Personally I think original trumps modified in most situations. Or modifiy but don't cut anything so you can put it back to stock.

The Monza is cool, but your light/nimble may be a bit off. My Honda CA160 mini dream or CB160 does everything the ducati does, better. The favorite thing with it for me is the cool "gear gazer" I installed==love watching those gears go around!
    "

Search here to see Desmodogs 160 modified bike. VERY nice!

What year is your Jr?

Jack

If you keep it original, it should appreciate with age. If you hack it up, it can only drop in value.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by Monsters

Just purchased another Ducati yesterday. Non running Ducati Monza Junior 160, BUT 100% complete. Question....or input... I love the single cylinder small light and nimble cafe racers.. I was leaning toward a complete 100% restoration to stock form...but think it would be a great cafe racer project...any bikes out there like this?
    Any clue on the value($) of stock price compared to a mod/cafe racer. I guess that will be my deciding factor.
    In my not so humble opinion:

As Ducatis go, Monza Jrs will never be worth much. They were the budget bikes back then and have no racing pedigree now. A true restoration on one will be a pain in the ass, a lot of parts are not available for them. A less than true restoration will do nothing to preserve value. IMHO a poor restoration isn't going to be worth any more than a well done "special".

The 160's don't share many engine parts with the larger bikes. The wheels are a weird size, the forks are dirt cheap, the hubs/brakes smaller than the 250s. All told you'll spend just as much restoring a 160 Monza (if not more) than a larger bike but it will never be worth what a similar larger bike will be worth. The only reason I see to restore a 160 is if it has significant sentimental value to you.

If the bike was running and in decent shape I'd say yeah, keep it stock. But I'm guessing the one you have is in typical shape, as in rough. So let your imagination run with it.

If you're lucky it's an early model with rounded bodywork. But chances are, it's a '66 with square bodywork. Some people claim to prefer the later version but i just don't see it.

All that said... they can be fun bikes to build. Top speed will be about 65mph. There are no performance parts readily available for it but if you are determined there are ways. High compression pistons are NLA, so guys shave down the cylinders to raise compression. I've heard there are Triumph pistons that can be used if you bore it out that also raise displacement. Cams for the larger bikes can be modified to work. Most people don't bother. Again, if you're going to do that much work, why not start with a 250 or 350 to begin with?

I'm not trying to discourage you here, just offering an opinion/reality check.

This is what my 160 looked like when I bought it:

Here's what it looks like now.

Here's the build thread
    https://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7618

Not much on that bike has been left stock. Yeah, I kinda like Ducatis.

Edit:
    quote:Originally posted by JackC

Search here to see Desmodogs 160 modified bike. VERY nice!
    Thanks...

By the way, Most of my comments probably should have been prefaced with "In the USA". Parts from the smaller bikes (125 Sport for instance) should work but good luck finding that stuff in the US
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

Sponsored Links