1985 Honda VF700S Sabre Cafe project
Close

This is a discussion on 1985 Honda VF700S Sabre Cafe project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi all. I just joined the forum and thought I'd share this project. First, a bit about who I am. My real name is Dino ...

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 1985 Honda VF700S Sabre Cafe project

Hi all. I just joined the forum and thought I'd share this project.
    First, a bit about who I am. My real name is Dino and I work as a European Auto Tech here in North Carolina. I've been wrenching on cars and bikes since 1975. I rebuilt my first motorcycle back then.. a Yamaha 80cc 2-stroke. I've owned several bikes over the years, two of which I really miss. A 1975 Yamaha RD350 that I turned into a cafe racer with fiberglass seat, tank, full race fairing, rear set controls and clubman bars. It ran about 95 in the quarter mile and I "did the ton" on that bike! Another fave was a 1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport. I put straight bars and a sport seat on that one and drove it as my only transpo for a few years in Phoenix AZ.

Fast forward to now. I just picked up a 1985 Honda VF700S Sabre for $500, not running. It had been stored and picked of a few parts at a bike shop but it only has 2700 miles on it!! I decided to turn in into a cafe racer because I've not seen a V45 cafe yet.

I have a website where I post weekly DIY projects called hackaweek.com. Last week I posted the first video of this project.
    Hope you enjoy following along and I look forward to joining the community here and getting back on a bike for the first time in 30 years!!!

Last edited by Sabre Cafe; 09-09-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Hey there, i really enjoyed your video. Keep it up. If it was me, i would tackle the engine first (see why it does not run) before moving on to anything else...unless of course you have an idea why this is the case. You need a healthy engine first. Everything else comes second. Also it makes me wonder, why would a bike shop sell a bike as a non runner since they could make a lot more money by selling a functional one.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantinos View Post
    Also it makes me wonder, why would a bike shop sell a bike as a non runner since they could make a lot more money by selling a functional one.
    because those sabers are next to worthless in the US, even as running bikes and it would have cost the bike shop more than they would see in profit had they invested the time/energy to fix it. This happens all the time with bikes shops - people buy "projects" not realizing what's involved, take it to the bike shop, and then abandon it when they get the estimate that is 2-3 times what the bike is worth.

mr. sabre,

while not as terrible as the magna in terms of going around a corner, a race bike it ain't. What I am saying is - the sabre is an excellent GT bike perfectly situated in hondas line up between the sporty interceptor and the drag chopper magna. Honestly if you wanted to make a "racer" out of it I would suggest you just go by a same year interceptor since honda poured buckets of money into that platform in the quest for speed. I def think it has "potential" as long as you aren't trying to dress it up like some 1950's fake brit bike. Embrace it's superbike era roots - maybe build the endurance racer that should have been out of it. just a thought.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Not really looking to race it or go super fast through the twisties... just want to build something different. I have the parts I need to fire it up this weekend and see how it runs. After that, the build continues.

I hope by different you don't mean adding a cafe racer kit it to it. I am on slow net so I checked only bits of the video. Geeto is right though you should embrace what the bike is not try to do something it isn't especially if its a "cafe RACER" that isn't an inch closer to racer. You do realize adding low bars and vintage looking tank to bike that otherwise doesn't play the part is somewhat equal to vinyl print wood panels on car doors or 4" exhaust tip and big wing on a stock civic. Just think about it. Make it a better motorcycle instead. More fun learning curve and far less douchy.
    -

Holy crap, i actually agree with Geeto on this one. I can understand building something different, but on the other hand there is a good reason why there are no cafe racers of this model out there. Making a better bike out of it may be the better choice

Geets....are you ill?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

Fork brace, emulators, fresh springs up front and a new(er) more up to date rear shock swap. Raise the ass a couple inches and add a steering damper.
    Good tires. 4-4 pipes with pitbike mufflers....it'll sound like a Ferrari fucking a smallblock...RADNESS!
    Dustbin fairing and minimal bum-stop.
    Tuck away and or remove what's ugly and useless.
    Paint it some wild color and go rock out with your cock out.
    (I gotta quit drinking for lunch!)
    It'd be a cool all around ride with unique styling, hefty enough to make the bin no 'big deal and bin-jobs are cool.

edit(s)....effing typos
    Last edited by Swagger; 02-02-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

I miss my V65 Sabre (The 1100, the wee 750 is the V45) at times, then I remember how heavy it was, how much of a PITA getting parts for it was... loved the motor but the rest of the bike was pure meh.

I remember trying to stop my V65 Sabre.....whoooooa nellie!!! LOVED the motor, though.

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links