Want to build Cafe Racer with Honda engine...
Close

This is a discussion on Want to build Cafe Racer with Honda engine... within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey everyone, I've been introduced to Cafe Racing bikes by a friend and decided to build a project bike rather than a project car. I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Want to build Cafe Racer with Honda engine...

Hey everyone, I've been introduced to Cafe Racing bikes by a friend and decided to build a project bike rather than a project car. I've always ridden Hondas when I rode quads and so I've been wanting to stick with the same name. I've passed by an article Honda unveils new 400cc engine Page - 1| ZigWheels.com about a 400cc engine. I was wondering...

Is the linked engine perfect for a Cafe Racer bike?
    If I can make a Cafe Racer out of this engine, what frame would best be recommended for this engine?
    If that engine isn't right for a Cafe Racer, then what Honda engine is a nice starter project? What frame should I look to fitting this engine into?

These questions would be a good starting point to point me in the right direction. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

First off you use the term "cafe racer" entirely too much for someone who doesn't know what one is.

Second, honestly I have no fucking clue what you are asking. Is the Honda engine good? Sure. For what? I have no idea. Seems like you have a whole lot of excitement and not a single goal.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

ok...you're one of those guys...it's a forum...place to ask questions/help/advice....layoff the steroids, stop living in these forums, and go get laid or something.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

no I am not one of those guys.....whomever you think those guys are.

Let'e break this down shall we?

You want to build a "cafe racer". Ok what is a cafe racer? I don't mean what is the universal definition, but what does it mean to you? because honestly the answer to your first question is no if we used industry standards.

In order to figure out whether what you want to do is even do-able, you must first know your goals. What are your goals. This isn't a hard question. just tell us what you want the bike to DO.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by coweyeboy View Post
    ok...you're one of those guys...it's a forum...place to ask questions/help/advice....layoff the steroids, stop living in these forums, and go get laid or something.
    Insulting Geeto certainly isn't going to gain you friends here (ok, maybe a few).

The problem is that you are taking a shotgun approach to whatever it is you are trying to do.

Why don't you look around here first, get a feel for what you like, and then ask a well thought out question. The 400 motor that you linked to may or may not be available in the U.S., so I wouldn't count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    no I am not one of those guys.....whomever you think those guys are.

Let'e break this down shall we?

You want to build a "cafe racer". Ok what is a cafe racer? I don't mean what is the universal definition, but what does it mean to you? because honestly the answer to your first question is no if we used industry standards.

In order to figure out whether what you want to do is even do-able, you must first know your goals. What are your goals. This isn't a hard question. just tell us what you want the bike to DO.
    cafe racer is a bike that I've seen around before but never knew that that's what they are called. To me, these kinds of bikes look badass and I wouldn't mind riding one of these.
    I plan on building one based off used parts or new parts and wanted to use a Honda engine.
    Goal is that I want to build my own bike and then ride it. Main thing, I want to use a Honda engine. If not the engine I linked, then what Honda engine would be good to start off with?
    I'm not looking to go racing fast, a nice commuting bike from home to work.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl8295 View Post
    Insulting Geeto certainly isn't going to gain you friends here (ok, maybe a few).

The problem is that you are taking a shotgun approach to whatever it is you are trying to do.

Why don't you look around here first, get a feel for what you like, and then ask a well thought out question. The 400 motor that you linked to may or may not be available in the U.S., so I wouldn't count on it.
    You're right haha, insulting a senior member won't make any friends but I deserved it, never did my homework and went straight to posting.
    I'll look around more and see what I need to ask before I post more insulting posts haha. Thanks though.
    If that motor isn't available, what's a good Honda engine to look for? Not looking for the fastest, just something that'll be good to cruise with.
    Thanks again

Why do you have to have a Honda?

Suzuki GS500 engine will tick most of your boxes....except the Honda thing.

There's a gazillion of them around and parts are readily available and cheap.

The standard response to someone with as much inthusiasm as you have is to start with a running bike. If it isn't a functioning bike then get it running. Make the changes that will improve handling first while you get the feel for the bike. then make informed choices about what will make it a cafe. That is, if you're serious about making a well functioning bike.

I was all balls and had already started working on the frame before I really started listening to what was being said here. So my bike will be part "hipster blow it apart" and part "this makes a nicer bike." The second half of that comes from the influence of this board. Had I not paid attention to what was being said here I would of had an cool looking bike that was unrideable. There were some earlier decisions that I have since regretted that I have to work around now. It's been a year and a half since I bought the bike and I still haven't ridden the thing around the yard. It's close though.

Cool! ---RIP

I'll second the motion - start off with a bike that is in fair condition that runs and has a title. CL is full of them. I like honda but I wouldn't limit your search to just because it's a honda. Most folks use a bike from the 60/70/80's vintage as their starting base. The more fab work you have to do - the longer your project will take. The best advice that this form can give is get a good running bike to start your build. Buy the bike and first get it running before you tear into it.

Lastly; don't take what other folks say here too seriously - what may seem like a off-handed comment may actually save you time and money. We are not on this form to blow anyone, serious questions will get serious answers. I'd also recommend looking through this form for answers to your existing questions - there's is a very good chance that questions has already been asked in multiple form topics. Good luck on your project..
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links