Dad inspired Honda CL350 on the journey to Bonneville Speed Week
Close

Dad inspired Honda CL350 on the journey to Bonneville Speed Week

This is a discussion on Dad inspired Honda CL350 on the journey to Bonneville Speed Week within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So my dad bought a honda cl350 new in early 1971 brand new..Not long after he got rid of it due to enlistment in to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dad inspired Honda CL350 on the journey to Bonneville Speed Week

Dad inspired Honda CL350 on the journey to Bonneville

So my dad bought a honda cl350 new in early 1971 brand new..Not long after he got rid of it due to enlistment in to the navy.
    Many many years later I as an adult now hearing stories of his old bike and my already life long ride on two wheels lead me to have the feeling of "I have to have one"..which after months of searching for a suitable project I stumbled upon this 1971 cl350..
    Name:  00X0X_e2EMwHJI7XL_600x450_zpsede3e246.jpg
Views: 3094
Size:  63.4 KB
    after getting the ball rolling I was able to locate a cl tank in the same color of my dads bike and things got to this point.
    Name:  20130731_190933_zps15b5d0ad.jpg
Views: 2353
Size:  83.3 KB
    with some more love and some tinkering and a few new parts I have mad it to this point.
    Name:  20130804_142644_zps5f8d7979.jpg
Views: 6599
Size:  90.6 KB
    I will be updating and adding specs soon..I have alot more parts coming and plan to get this ol girl to bonneville for speedweek next year to contest the 350cc p,p class.
    Last edited by zachhendrix; 08-05-2013 at 01:17 AM.

you should...um....buy a rule book. I don't know if you can run the P/P class - isn't that pushrod?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I don't think it qualifies for production, either. SCTA says it must "appear identical in all respects to the production model it represents".

Chris

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

yeah, kinda on the wrong track and heading backwards...
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

P/P is Production engine/production frame. The paint won't disqualify it from Production class but the bars and no muffler will. And the seat will too. Must run stock seat and fenders. The way it stands will move it into Modified. And the unfortunate thing about that is they used to let TZ350 Yams in that class so it is pretty much a screwed up class. You could always hook a sidecar platform to it and run sidecar class. The record is 121 and held by a CB 350. There is also the all bike BUB meet at Bonneville. But what ever please bring it out. You won't regret the experience of riding on the salt. But do get a rule book. You will need one. The days of Burt Munro are long gone. You need a rule book.

I'm heading out to SpeedWeek next Thursday. Hope to arrive Friday. Get through tech Sat. and go racing.

P.S. If you need a reason to go here is the best view in the world. Especially if you are aiming something at it.

Last edited by Hoofhearted; 08-04-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
    P/P is Production engine/production frame. The paint won't disqualify it from Production class but the bars and no muffler will. And the seat will too. Must run stock seat and fenders. The way it stands will move it into Modified. And the unfortunate thing about that is they used to let TZ350 Yams in that class so it is pretty much a screwed up class. You could always hook a sidecar platform to it and run sidecar class. The record is 121 and held by a CB 350. There is also the all bike BUB meet at Bonneville. But what ever please bring it out. You won't regret the experience of riding on the salt. But do get a rule book. You will need one. The days of Burt Munro are long gone. You need a rule book.

I'm heading out to SpeedWeek next Thursday. Hope to arrive Friday. Get through tech Sat. and go racing.

P.S. If you need a reason to go here is the best view in the world. Especially if you are aiming something at it.
    Thanks for the points in the right direction,2013 Rulebook has been ordered! Guess that's what I get for baseing things off word of a friend..lol..Oh well..I am gonna run in what it fits in when done..Mainly doing this for the ride! Setting a record is not the first priority at all.The BUB event sounds really cool with all bikes..Might try for that one,be a lot more chill than speedweek im sure..Which on that note,Good Luck and have fun!!..Ps Did you know your legs are pointing the wrong way?? LOL...Looks like street ludge gone wild..j/k
    Last edited by zachhendrix; 08-09-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Ok so after much picking of Hoofhearted's brain and the getting of a rule book,I have got myself going in the right direction towards a class more suited towards my style bike.I am gonna be running in 350cc modified/blown gas.
    So then I ran into the obvious problem being my bike is not blown.But with a quick look around around I snagged up a rhb31 turbo for the low low with a set of flange plates that I should have early next week,quick trip by my buddy's house that runs a turbo busa netted me a free blow off valve,some silicone hose,oil lines and two aluminum weld on bungs for plumbing the case to oil the turbo.So being all pumped on my parts spree today I came home and got working on a manifold.I am gonna stand the turbo up so the air filter is facing straight up,it gonna be positioned right in the front under the right side of the tank,I wanted to keep it in the front of the bike for cooling.So after a few cuts and some fiddling I came up with this for my manifold,I gotta finish weld everything up yet and I am gonna flare out a 2" pipe to weld on to single it down and add a 90 into the turbo.
    Name:  20130808_222638_zpsb5f04f14.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  49.7 KB
    Last edited by zachhendrix; 08-09-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Wait till you find out the cb350 doesn't pump enough oil to properly oil the turbo. Then the real fun begins.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Slow down grasshopper - You better give this turbo option a little more thinking before you start fabrication. To start with you will have an oil issue as Geeto has pointed out. You have basically two ways of connecting a turbo to you bike - it can be setup much like your buddy's bike and have the turbo blowing into the inlet of the carbs. If you use this method, you will have two carbs that have to be pressurized and two carbs that have to be jetted with the turbo. Plus you have to build the inlet to the carbs and deal with what ever room you will have between the engine and frame. This setup in my opinion is the most complicated way of installing a turbo.

The other method you can use is to have a single carb connected to the turbo and have turbo blow directly into the engine intake. This is method was commonly used in the 70's for connecting turbo's to honda's and kaw's. You will need to add a fuel pump to the carb and build the intake for the bike. Usually the turbo will fit behind the engine and the carb is mounted to the right side of the engine. You still need to address the oil pressure problem, waste gate and tubing for the exhaust. I'd do a google on turbo setups and get a good plan in place before you start fabrication.

I'm thinking you might find some Youtube for turbo 350 hondas - good luck.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

there was a guy here who turboed a 350. look in the projects section. He managed to get it to work, but he kind of fell off after that.

FWIW here are the lessons I learned from my failed 450 turbo project:
    - turbos need oil. the cb350 makes like 15 psi of oil pressue at redline, most turbos need 40. so check your turbo oil requirement. Be cognizant of volume and pressure, 40 psi at half the required volume is still a recipe for failure. Some of those small speed snails can spin in excess of 30,000 rpms - oil is the life blood. Also Turbos get hot, It is afterall driven by hot exhaust gas made hotter by forced induction. Oil is the cooling fluid for an air cooled engine so if you are passing your oil through a very hot turbo then you robbing it of its cooling properties for the engine. You WILL need an oil cooler, a big one. And probably a bypass for warm up or that engine will take forever to get hot.

- For what you are doing a draw through is the best setup. Well actually FI is the best setup but I doubt you have the time or the budget for that. A draw through will allow you to make easy carb changes to accomidate changing atmospheric conditions. Think hard about your carb choice - DO NOT USE A CV CARB. This means you can throw away the stock carbs they are useless to you. I recommend an S&S Super E - why? well for starters you can get parts at every Harley dealer from here to the moon so it is hard to be caught short. If you think this is too great an expenditure try and get a Mukuni VM carb and a decent set of jets. Commonly available parts from sudco, and larger sizes should be easy to find - they were an "upgrade" for old Ironhead sportsters over the stock carb. Not sure of the size but that is something you need to figure out based on your turbo specs. I will say it is harder to "over carb" a turbo engine because the waste gate regulates how much is going into the engine. Carb placement is critical - you don't want the fuel line passing over anything really hot (like the headers or the top of the engine) because radiant heat transfer will cause the fuel to boil in the line and you will get vapor lock (I deal with this every day on my I-6 jeep because I installed headers and now the heat passes right to the fuel rail - it's no fun).

- Turbo placement. Too long a down (exhasut) pipe and it takes longer for the turbo to spool. Too long a charge (intake) pipe and there is potential for bleed off. In your case I would favor a shorter down pipe and use a slightly bigger turbo - you can feed lots of volume at low pressure and give the engine a fighting chance and make more power but you will use every inch of those 4 miles to get there. The more pressure you have the more problems you are going to have, so you might as well opt for more volume and deal with the horrible lag.

- charging system. you are going to need a fuel pump, to feed the carb. the cb350 charging system can't support this in a street application but it might in a racing application. Also one of the dark paths you might go down is a seperate oil system for the turbo from the engine oil. If you do this - the old 70's turbo drag racers used to use AeroQuip fuel pumps to drive oil to the turbos on HVLP oil pressure bikes like the suzuki GS and the kz1000. This draws a lot of current. the stock charging system probably won't be up to the task of powering this and the fuel pump. If you are considering this, then I would probably find a way to run the engine off a magneto, and use the charging system to power all sorts of pumps. A big battery won't hurt either.

- Remember you are building a race bike. Forget the street shit - you can always add that back in later. Focus on getting it within the confines of the rules and parameters for the run. Remember it only has to run at WFO for a couple of minutes and do it two times, so it is ok if you have things that have short life spans, just remember to pack a lot of spares for those things (there are very few turbo impeller bearings out on the salt).

- Don't worry about weight creep. the bike will get heavier. All out land speed doesn't feel as much of the weight penalty as acceleration does. I mean you don't want an 800lb motorcycle but if you add 100 lbs over stock don't stress about it. I have heard from several reputable sources that some bikes need weight ballast just to be able to run on the salt.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links