1972 Honda CB750 hodge podge
Close

This is a discussion on 1972 Honda CB750 hodge podge within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Moving the posts from general to here since I've made something that seems like progress. The bike was dropped off a couple of days ago. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving the posts from general to here since I've made something that seems like progress.

The bike was dropped off a couple of days ago. Two flat tires and a locked rear wheel.

The first thing I had to do was get the rear wheel unstuck so I could move the dang thing. That has since been done.

I ended up removing the brake pads. The shoes were catching and preventing the wheel from turning. Since the comstocks will be replaced if the rest of the bike is ever working, I'm not concerned right now.

I went over the electrical... some previous owner hacked it up, but everything appears to work.

The motor turns over, obviously not starting.

At this point, I'll drain the fuel and fluids, check the plugs, and work on getting it fired up. Any suggestions, comments, or flames are appreciated!
    -Jim
    1972 Honda CB750
    Wheels Turning: 2
    Pistons Firing: 0

At least take the bowls off the carbs and have a look at what crap is in there. If the bike has been sitting that long that the rear brake has seized there's no way it's going to fire up by just adding some fuel and crossing your fingers.

Yup! I'm doing exactly that. I put the rear wheel back on so I could get the bike moved (it was at work and I need it at my house shop)

Once back, I started all the fluids off, drained em.

The gas tank poured out chocolate milk.... grossness. I've got that sitting on my workbench to work on in a few days.

Pulled the carbs... they are pretty nasty.

This is going to be my first experience cleaning and reconditioning carbs. Any suggestions, let me know, otherwise I'll be pouring through the boards and my tech manual for the next couple of weeks figuring out what steps are next.
    -Jim
    1972 Honda CB750

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Alright! Progress. I ordered carb rebuild kits for the carbs (Carb Rebuild Kit - Made in Japan - 16100-300-034) Carb Rebuild Kits, Gaskets - Fuel System - Products - CB750 Supply - Honda CB750 SOHC 1969-78 Parts.
    Scrubbed the carbs inside and out, used wire, cotton, and anything else to get absolutely every surface I could get to cleaned out. Dipped them in a chemical bath, and now I'm waiting to reassemble till I get the kits in. Time consuming, but not difficult. Marked everything so I can put it back together like I found it.
    Started cleaning out the tank. I ended up shaking it for about 6 hours to get the rust out. When it was done, the inside looked new. I put on some Red Kote, it's drying. In another 24 hours I'll do one more coat. That stuff is super easy to use! A 1/3 of a quart is about all it took.

I'm not worried about the dents in the tank. I'm going to rip all the paint off of it and laquer it. Does anyone have a recommendation for lacquering a tank? I have done wood floors, furniture, etc... but I don't know what will hold up to gas and weather.

http://s185.photobucket.com/user/Kal...96447.mp4.html
    -Jim
    1972 Honda CB750

actually those don't look too bad.

you are still missing the o-rings for the fuel rails that go between the carb bodies. The kits won't have those.

also make sure you note the jet size of all the jets currently in your carbs. reference it against the kit size, if they are different re-use your old jets (after you clean them of course).

make sure you test your floats in gasoline to insure that they actually float. Sometimes stale gas can ruin them and cause them to lose buoyancy. cut a coke can in half, fill it with gasoline, drop the float in. If it sinks to the bottom throw it away and buy another.
    redkote is awesome stuff.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I need help finding a part! The Fuel "T" that connects the carbs broke. I can't braze it back together, and I can't find a specific part number. Any ideas?

-Jim
    1972 Honda CB750

Its NLA from honda so you are boned. time to buy a second set of carbs for parts. How did you break it anyway? were you using a hammer or pliers in a way you shouldn't have been? It's not usually a fragile piece.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

it would be easy to machine a new one out of a chunk of aluminum on the lathe

lacquering a tank? - I don't think you will find that type of paint anymore - you more than likely will use an enamel type paint. This paint will hold up well to gas and such. You can apply it either as a one-stage (just paint) or two-stage (paint & clear coat). I'd recommend the two-stage paint.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links