1977 Ducati 500 GTL Cafe Racer - Page 2
Close

1977 Ducati 500 GTL Cafe Racer

This is a discussion on 1977 Ducati 500 GTL Cafe Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have no problem you post on a lot of forums. I find it a little disengious that you literally just cut and pasted what ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 60
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 1977 Ducati 500 GTL Cafe Racer

  1. #11
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    23,265
    I have no problem you post on a lot of forums. I find it a little disengious that you literally just cut and pasted what you posted a long time ago and reposted it here. Each community is different, but one thing we push for is actual participation. If you are just going to phone it in...well....Maybe I wouldn't have objected it had I not been reading the same thing somewhere else yesterday.

    Seems like your just a hater
    jury's still out on that one but as a personal rule I am deducting 50 IQ points because you use the term hater. And to be honest I was willing to give you a little more credit than most because you are a sign painter and I used to be one.

    I really don't care if you like my "manx style tank and bubble back seat" I have over 150 Hours into going through this bike, sanding, cleaning, polishing, gold leafing etc... so your comment about a tank and tail on a stock bike is idiotic.
    I was poking a little fun. Lighten up. 150 hours? is that all? ok, you got a set of rearsets, some shocks, and a clubman bar too, but please enlighten me - aside from cosmetics what have you actually done mechanically? I am genuinely curious about that because the only reason I haven't ever bought one of these is because everyone I know who has had one, or worked on one, or stood near one had nothing nice to say mechanically about it. That is the one thing I have found missing from all your posts on all the other forums, you say "I opened the engine up, it looked ok, now let me tell you how I mounted this seat" (I'm paraphrasing here for illustration so don't wad your panties about being misquoted).


    My bike has over 10000 mikes it does not leak oil and runs great. It's a fun little bike to run around no one said it was the most high performance motorcycle out there. I put over 500 miles on it prior to tearing it down. When the engine was out of the bike I went through it.
    Good to know. A fact that is absent all your other posts on other forums.

    If you want to know how to make one of these run read some articles by Chris Bushell


    I have. I don't own one so it's all theory for me at this point.
    Apparently your a Ducati expert.
    Never said that. I own a ducati and it, like anything else italian I have ever owned has caused me no end to problems.

    So I'm sure you know this already in late 1977 and 78 Ducati redesigned this engine. fff Engines with serial number 501656 and later are the ones redesigned. This means that my engine has the later type of cylinder head gasket, improved primary gears and most importantly the later type of conrods and crank. This means that my big-end shells are the same as 620 Monster ones. Maybe you should just take over this thread since you already know how crappy it will turn out.
    Redesigned does not mean improved. A lot of the flaws with these bikes were flaws in the workmanship more than the design and that didn't change until cagiva bought ducati in the 80's. Sure a lot of things were changed but NO version of this bike was the pillar of reliability. Don't get me wrong, the changes help, but are they enough?

    Maybe you should just take over this thread since you already know how crappy it will turn out.
    Actually if you look back I posted one of your "closer to done" pics and actually complimented you on it (as much as a compliment you are going to get from me anyway) So maybe you should pull whatever is lodged firmly up your ass out and relax. Maybe you should not try and "surprise" a new audience by pretending a build is happening now for a bike you bought and started working on back in june (and was working on it for 9 months then).
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

  2. #12
    Senior Member jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    10,437
    Are those RFY rear shocks?
    epic fail....
    I am Derby\'s Bitch


    Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

  3. #13
    Senior Member ILoveThumpers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Illiana
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    this is one of the better sites I have found for para twin ducs...
    Here's where it all goes wrong...

    Quote Originally Posted by That website
    ...The design was compromised from the start with a need to control costs...
    Sounds familiar.

    -Deek

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    23,265
    He's right, they did try to remedy some of the issues post 1977. But The cases cracking is a well know issue and it happens regardless of year. It is because of the shitty casting, machining, and assembly.

    Don't get me wrong, unsorted bevels of the same years aren't a treat either. It is just people invested in them, built an aftermarket, and now they are real collectible. They are also drop dead pretty in stock form so that doesn't hurt either. the 500 GTL had such a bad rep nobody felt they were worth saving. There is almost no aftermarket and even now - a project is cheaper than a honda project in worse shape.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

  6. #15
    Senior Member drgonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rome, GA, USA.
    Posts
    1,241
    Damnit....I posted my project on 3 sites, copied and pasted the hell out of it too. Plus I haven't updated it in forever.
    Just one more fuck-up I wil have to live with.

  7. #16
    Member lucky13cycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mooresville, NC, USA.
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    Are those RFY rear shocks?
    epic fail....
    I never said they were ohlins

  8. #17
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    23,265
    I asked if they were ohlins. Are they? or just ohlins stickers?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

  9. #18
    Member lucky13cycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mooresville, NC, USA.
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    I have no problem you post on a lot of forums. I find it a little disengious that you literally just cut and pasted what you posted a long time ago and reposted it here. Each community is different, but one thing we push for is actual participation. If you are just going to phone it in...well....Maybe I wouldn't have objected it had I not been reading the same thing somewhere else yesterday.



    jury's still out on that one but as a personal rule I am deducting 50 IQ points because you use the term hater. And to be honest I was willing to give you a little more credit than most because you are a sign painter and I used to be one.


    I was poking a little fun. Lighten up. 150 hours? is that all? ok, you got a set of rearsets, some shocks, and a clubman bar too, but please enlighten me - aside from cosmetics what have you actually done mechanically? I am genuinely curious about that because the only reason I haven't ever bought one of these is because everyone I know who has had one, or worked on one, or stood near one had nothing nice to say mechanically about it. That is the one thing I have found missing from all your posts on all the other forums, you say "I opened the engine up, it looked ok, now let me tell you how I mounted this seat" (I'm paraphrasing here for illustration so don't wad your panties about being misquoted).




    Good to know. A fact that is absent all your other posts on other forums.


    [/B]
    I have. I don't own one so it's all theory for me at this point.

    Never said that. I own a ducati and it, like anything else italian I have ever owned has caused me no end to problems.



    Redesigned does not mean improved. A lot of the flaws with these bikes were flaws in the workmanship more than the design and that didn't change until cagiva bought ducati in the 80's. Sure a lot of things were changed but NO version of this bike was the pillar of reliability. Don't get me wrong, the changes help, but are they enough?



    Actually if you look back I posted one of your "closer to done" pics and actually complimented you on it (as much as a compliment you are going to get from me anyway) So maybe you should pull whatever is lodged firmly up your ass out and relax. Maybe you should not try and "surprise" a new audience by pretending a build is happening now for a bike you bought and started working on back in june (and was working on it for 9 months then).
    You are unbelievable. You figured out my plan I've been sitting here trying to figure out how to surprise a new audience, you have got to be kidding. I should get whatever is lodged up my ass. You posted 5 times slamming my project after my first post. I was trying to share something that I am proud of with more like minded motorcycle people. As far as details about checking the engine out... Sorry I didn't give you enough details. I am just giving a overview of my build not trying to write a tech manual on how to check and rebuild a engine. As far as cosmetics I not only did made the bike look good I made the rearsets, I cut the original hoop off the back of the bike and bent and welded a new hoop, I rebuilt the forks, I rebuild the brake calipers, replaced all the bearings in the neck and wheels. I relaced both front and rear wheels with stainless steel spokes, I did some rewiring, the list goes on. As far as the engine here a list of what I did since your so interested.I removed the bolt that is just in front of the left cylinder, as you sit on the bike. This is the restrictor for the oil feed to the cylinder head and makes sure that the oil pressure is backed up to the crank. I took off the alternator cover. Below the alternator you will find the oil pressure relief valve, this takes the form of a steel tube with a ball and spring up it I took it out cleaned it up and then put back with loctite and then wire lock it. I checked that your oil pressure warning light was properly working. The Cam chain do stretch and flap, because the tensioner is not very good. I pulled the rocker cover off and checked the tension. I checked the depth of the recesses to take the O rings that seal the main oil galleries between the two crankcase halves. If they are not recessed it will cause weepage out through the gasket. I took the bungs out of the crank for the big end sludge traps these traps were full of muck and would have starved the big end shells of oil flow. On the camshafts, which are in two parts, Ducati saw fit to block off the hole for the oil feed to the cam lobes with a dished washer like a water jacket core plug. These were never designed to take the pressure of cold 20/50 oil on them and can blow out, leaving you with no oil feed to the top end! The solution was to put the cam in a lathe and bore the end to take an aluminum bung and fit that bung with loctite and face off, so that they press together and can't go anywhere. I also checked the end float on the crankshaft for slop. This is adjusted by placing shims behind the LH main bearing, This stops sideways movement of the crank across the face of the main bearings and will reduce wear.
    I have never had anyone jump on anything I have ever posted before in such a negative way. I have no interest in defending myself about a project that I built or where I posted it first. Talk about relaxing you should take your own advise. I'm done on this board don't need the aggravation.
    Last edited by lucky13cycle; 10-23-2013 at 05:41 PM.

  10. #19
    Member lucky13cycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mooresville, NC, USA.
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    I asked if they were ohlins. Are they? or just ohlins stickers?
    They are not Ohlins one of my employees thought it would be funny to stick decals on the shocks.

  11. #20
    Senior Member 8ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,628
    I've kept my GS build current on four forums......


    ...and the RFY's can work pretty well, if rebuilt.


    Jus' sayin'

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Ducati 750ss cafe racer.
    By Nine in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-05-2015, 06:59 AM
  2. French Cafe Racer Ducati 750 SS 1993
    By bar-a-k in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 11-23-2013, 08:24 PM
  3. Ducati S2R 1000 Carbon Cafe Racer 4 you !!
    By xrider911 in forum Bikes For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2013, 11:10 AM
  4. ducati cafe racer
    By iainvr in forum General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 09:55 AM
  5. 1977 CB550 Cafe Racer for sale!
    By sportrucks in forum Bikes For Sale
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2007, 12:41 AM

Search tags for this page

1977 ducati 500 gtl

,
1977 ducati 500 gtl for sale
,

ducati 500

,

ducati 500 cafe racer

,
ducati 500 for sale
,
ducati 500 gtl
,

ducati 500 gtl for sale

,

ducati cafe racer for sale

,

ducati gtl 500

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread