1987 Honda VFR700 Interceptor Project - Page 2
Close

1987 Honda VFR700 Interceptor Project

This is a discussion on 1987 Honda VFR700 Interceptor Project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Thanks @Geeto67, the battery on it already is still perfect, the dash lights come on and it will turn over, I got a good two ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks @Geeto67, the battery on it already is still perfect, the dash lights come on and it will turn over, I got a good two throttles before it ran out of ether to burn, it sounds absolutely amazing, I was wanting to just take the motor apart, clean everything, re-grease up some parts and throw it back together, but I guess If I can avoid doing that then I will. I need a new tank because there's rust, and not to mention it's best to hell... I got my shop manual in the mail today.

Would you recommend though that I just scrap the carb and get a new one regardless or just clean it out and see if that does the job?

Thanks @bmartin I'm definitely going to keep these videos in my pocket for reference. Thanks for serving bro, I'm going in as ABH right now, so I'll be up on that flight deck launching aircraft

Thanks! @Dean, haha yeah I go in the cool part of winter and when it starts to get cold I graduate and go to Florida for A school XD

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

pretty sure you don't need to make 3 separate messages....there's these things called paragraphs.

those are cool bikes though....i almost bought a nice red/white/blue one last summer and have been kicking myself ever since for passing on it.

@bfont52 Ummm....thanks. Yeah you should've kept it!

Quote Originally Posted by bfont52 View Post
    pretty sure you don't need to make 3 separate messages....there's these things called paragraphs.

those are cool bikes though....i almost bought a nice red/white/blue one last summer and have been kicking myself ever since for passing on it.
    Me too
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by CJHogg View Post
    I understand what I'm getting myself into and I'm up to the challenge.
    Sorry, but no you don't. Especially based on the ignorance of this bike that you have demonstrated. It does not have a carb. It has 4 of them joined together in the middle of the V. They are a bitch to get out, difficult to get clean and very hard to get back in. Understand that the VFR does not have separate cylinders, they are part of the upper crankcase so to put in rings, you have to split the cases. When you said you were going to pull the motor apart and regrease some things, what were you thinking? The only things to grease on that bike aren't in the engine, but the steering head bearings, swingarm pivot and the shock linkages certainly would need some grease.

BTW, the picture Geeto posted is the earlier generation VF 750. The race VFR had a full fairing, but isn't at all "cafe" or "fighter"

The VFR had a great racing history in both AMA and World Superbike. I have said it before and I am now telling you. Don't do anything stupid and try to make this bike into something that it can't and doesn't want to be. As a "cafe" bike it will look stupid and not work very well. As a "fighter" it will also look stupid and not work very well. As a sport bike it will work very well and look cool. As a sport tourer ( suitable for riding from Atlanta to the west coast) it will look cool with some soft saddle bags and a tank bag and it will work very well. Make a plan, decide what you want to do and then get to work by getting running and riding well. If you are interested in getting it checked out, take it to Marietta Motorsports and get Huey to look it over.

Don't be stupid and ignorance just takes some study. Check out VFRworld.com you have a genII vfr.
    Last edited by kenessex; 02-08-2014 at 12:36 AM.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Thanks for the insight @kenessex but please remember I'm new to all of this. So please don't hate, or call me ignorant. I'm learning...that's why I'm here on the forum, not to be called ignorant and that my ideas won't work. I want to know HOW to make my ideas work. What I'm wanting my final product to look like is unique, especially because it's never really been done on this motorcycle. So, unless you actually have some words of encouragement, or something helpful, then please leave. Like I said, I'm absolutely determined to create this concept in my head and have it done before August. Don't tell me what I can't do, only how to do the stupid things I want to. I'm not wanting fairings, I'm wanting the back end raised slightly, completely different cluster, lights, tank, seat, and possibly an adjusted frame the seat I decide on. Not to mention some performance mods including a re-vamped exhaust.

I'm not being ignorant, I'm being bold, there's a difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by CJHogg View Post
    Thanks for the insight @kenessex but please remember I'm new to all of this. So please don't hate, or call me ignorant. I'm learning...that's why I'm here on the forum, not to be called ignorant and that my ideas won't work. I want to know HOW to make my ideas work. What I'm wanting my final product to look like is unique, especially because it's never really been done on this motorcycle. So, unless you actually have some words of encouragement, or something helpful, then please leave. Like I said, I'm absolutely determined to create this concept in my head and have it done before August. Don't tell me what I can't do, only how to do the stupid things I want to. I'm not wanting fairings, I'm wanting the back end raised slightly, completely different cluster, lights, tank, seat, and possibly an adjusted frame the seat I decide on. Not to mention some performance mods including a re-vamped exhaust.

I'm not being ignorant, I'm being bold, there's a difference between the two.
    Fuck me sideways. I'm sorry mate but all you're going to end up doing is bastardising a perfectly good bike for the sake of being 'unique'. You want to be unique? Then customise a bike so that it actually rides better than before you laid your mitts on it - you know, in the spirit of a real cafe racer.

CJ,
    Don't take being ignorant as a negative, take it as what it means, which is, that you do not currently have the knowledge about a given topic. In this case you do not know anything about a VFR . I am pretty sure I made that clear in my previous post. Ignorance can be remedied by study and research. I can't tell you how to make your ideas work if I don't know what they are and if it is even possible to do safely. Furthermore, my comments and suggestions will always be based on function first and aesthetics last if at all. I have offered you plenty of help, like take it to Marietta Motorsports and get it checked out, like the carbs are a pain to deal with, like there is nothing to grease in the engine, like grease your bearings, like get it running first to decide what to do to make it be what you and it want to be. I'll even give you some more free help: you are going to need to do some suspension work, that rear shock wasn't that good new and has not improved any in the last 25 years, same for the forks. You will need some new springs, seals and oil regardless of what you eventually do.

So, I am not hating on you or your bike. I like the VFR's, they are a great bike. I am not calling you stupid and ignorance of a specific topic is not insulting or demeaning, it is just a fact. Educate yourself or take the advice of others when they offer it up. I was the service manager of Action Honda Suzuki in Marietta when your VFR was a new model. We probably sold it originally since we were the number 5 Honda motorcycle dealer in the country. I have been around the block more than once so you can take my advice or leave it, but don't start whining because you don't like hearing facts or the truth. I am guessing that with your 9 posts and my 4500 over my past 8 years on this site that I won't be leaving soon. Congrats on your proposed entry into the military and a presumptive thanks for your service, but I don't think an over inflated sense of entitlement will carry you very far in the Navy.

So, here are my words of encouragement. If your ultimate goal is to have a naked bike that you can safely and comfortably ride from Atlanta to California by August, then you will want to fix the suspension, figure out how to remove all the rear end plastic and seat (cause it looks stupid without the fairings) yet still maintain the seat to footpeg to handlebar locations, because the VFR was a very comfortable long range sport tourer. One of the best Honda ever made. I would make a new rear subframe that would put the seat where it currently is based on whatever seat you decide to do. I would also rep[lace the wheels with some 17" ones of a CBR600F2.

There ya go Sparky.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links