Need to make this seat fit!!! Need some ideas...
Close

This is a discussion on Need to make this seat fit!!! Need some ideas... within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Ok so I have my Gs750 running-ish now. I think I just need to do some carb adjustments. Anyway, I have this Ducati seat I ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ok so I have my Gs750 running-ish now. I think I just need to do some carb adjustments. Anyway, I have this Ducati seat I really want to make fit on the bike one way or another. I have never "fabricated" a seat to fit so im not sure of the methods or tricks of the trade to make it happen. The front of the seat is a little too narrow for the tank, so my thought process was to hit the bottom of the seat with a heat gun and soften it up a little so its pliable and make it fit. But when it comes to figuring out how to SAFELY secure this seat to the frame, Im at a loss....

I didnt chop the frame, was like that when i bought it....so I got to work with what I have. Here are the pics of what im working with.Name:  asd.JPG
Views: 1656
Size:  711.8 KBName:  dsad.JPG
Views: 1616
Size:  532.8 KBName:  erw.JPG
Views: 1577
Size:  743.9 KBName:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 1602
Size:  615.4 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 1563
Size:  449.4 KBName:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 1538
Size:  480.9 KBName:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 1510
Size:  473.2 KBName:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 1498
Size:  381.5 KBName:  photo.JPG
Views: 1468
Size:  357.7 KBName:  sdsa.JPG
Views: 1485
Size:  386.1 KB
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.-Thomas Jefferson

That Monster seat was designed to sit angled up. Your frame rails are flat. It's gonna look strange if it's flat....as well as probably not be very comfortable. And it's gonna look stupid if you angle it (unless you weld on a new rear end to the bike).

You might want to go for a more traditional bum-stop seat. Hipsters everywhere with CX500 swoopy rear triangles are insanely jealous of your frame.

I like my shocks like I like my women. Cheap and Chinese.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    Hipsters everywhere with CX500 swoopy rear triangles are insanely jealous of your frame.
    I wish I knew what this meant!! lol
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.-Thomas Jefferson

You ain't going to make that fit. However you can make a pan and then shape foam to look like that seat and then take it to an upholsterer to get it covered.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    I wish I knew what this meant!! lol
    Look at the rear triangle......

Kinda hard to hide that swooping steelwork.....

Almost forgot - here's a pensive hipster wishing his CX subframe was like your GS one:

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Ok so I have my Gs750 running-ish now. I think I just need to do some carb adjustments. Anyway, I have this Ducati seat I really want to make fit on the bike one way or another. I have never "fabricated" a seat to fit so im not sure of the methods or tricks of the trade to make it happen. The front of the seat is a little too narrow for the tank, so my thought process was to hit the bottom of the seat with a heat gun and soften it up a little so its pliable and make it fit. But when it comes to figuring out how to SAFELY secure this seat to the frame, Im at a loss....
    Do it the same way Ducati did. The two front tabs go under, um, things that hold the tabs down. And the back post goes into a thing that holds the back post. So buy the thing that holds the post off of ebay and make the things that the tabs go under. It's been too long since I've seen a Monster to remember what the rear mechanism is but I'm guessing it's a lot like a 907 or 900ss or 996 seat of the same era in that it's a spring loaded deal that would be pretty easy to retrofit to a different frame.

It will still look like someone found a Monster seat and cludged it onto a different bike but it will be secured anyway.

IMHO you should sell the seat to someone with a Monster and put the money towards something with a more universal fit. Or buy a stock pan for that bike and modify the seat on that. If I'm modifying things I'd much rather start with something that fits... And yeah, that seat is designed to be fit so the rear surface is more or less level when installed.

BTW I've modified Ducati seat pans with heat, it works to a point but you'll never get the front contour to match that tank.
    Last edited by DesmoDog; 02-21-2014 at 07:44 AM.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    Do it the same way Ducati did. The two front tabs go under, um, things that hold the tabs down. And the back post goes into a thing that holds the back post. So buy the thing that holds the post off of ebay and make the things that the tabs go under. It's been too long since I've seen a Monster to remember what the rear mechanism is but I'm guessing it's a lot like a 907 or 900ss or 996 seat of the same era in that it's a spring loaded deal that would be pretty easy to retrofit to a different frame.

It will still look like someone found a Monster seat and cludged it onto a different bike but it will be secured anyway.

IMHO you should sell the seat to someone with a Monster and put the money towards something with a more universal fit. Or buy a stock pan for that bike and modify the seat on that. If I'm modifying things I'd much rather start with something that fits... And yeah, that seat is designed to be fit so the rear surface is more or less level when installed.

BTW I've modified Ducati seat pans with heat, it works to a point but you'll never get the front contour to match that tank.
    Ok, well I suppose I will have to find another seat. The problem still exists though with not bein able to secure it to the frame. There are not brackets or anything.

ok, you need the seat first to then figure out how it is going to mount. However, there is a guy who sells "mounting blocks" for cb750s on SOHC4.net that might be modified to fit your gs750. He makes them in 3/8" and 3/4" inch sizes so measure your frame tubes. here is the link the blocks are towards the bottom.

FB-stuff STORE - aftermarket SOHC plastic covers, clear points covers, DIY cafe seat kits
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links