250 yamaha virago cafe build NOOB
Close

This is a discussion on 250 yamaha virago cafe build NOOB within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello everyone. I'm here because I would like to have my very own cafe racer. Last month my neighbors moved away and gave me a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 250 yamaha virago cafe build NOOB

Hello everyone.

I'm here because I would like to have my very own cafe racer. Last month my neighbors moved away and gave me a motorcycle that they had in storage. Its A 2003 Yamaha xv250, it runs well, everything works fine. This bike wouldn't have been my first choice, but it was what I was given, for free, so your not going to hear me complain. from what I have read about virago/cruiser cafe projects, you guys don't think they are the greatest "platform" to begin with. Again this is what I have so I would appreciate any helpful suggestions. The bike that made me think I could get a cafe out of the virago was made by doc chops Greg Hageman, you can't look at this bike and say it not a good looking bike. Now granted this is a xv750 from the 80's, I still believe it is possible to get something similar out of my 250.

Is there anyone on here who would actually be willing to help me out?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I'll answer just because I've looked at couple 80's era Virago's because I liked the docs chops bikes too. That said, I got flamed HARD for the bike I did create. So take my input for what it's worth... not much.

The major difference between what you have and the docs chops platform is that yours is a dual shock and theirs was a mono shock version. So you won't get the same look without a massive reconstruction. They've ditched the stock tank for a Benelli Mojave or similar. And of course the seat/tail is heavily fabbed custom too.

Given that yours is a cruiser it isn't an easy start to a café or fighter. You could bob it easier. Or just make your own custom whatever. If your bike runs you could probably sell it and then buy a mono virago to build something like the docs chops much easier. I found several in the $700-1000 range with varying degrees of fixable issues. You'll see many of 80's viragos with similar issues as they have a standard list of weaknesses, starting with the starter setup.

Lastly, I have almost no idea what I'm talking about

I'm patient, and also am a saver so eventually I'll have whatever money I need. My question is it doable? It doesn't necessarily have to have the exact same look, this is more of an idea of what I want...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

If you haven't already, check out the Virago forum. ViragoTechForum.com ? Index page
    '74 TX650A morphing into an early '60's Brit style cafe racer.

Is it do-able...of course.
    Will it take more work than you are capable of? Probably.
    Will you end up with a piece of crap that is basically worthless? Quite possibly.
    Don't give up on your dream, but this is a bad platform for a newbie to start with, I would recommend you just ride it as-is and look for something that might be a little more within your skill set to start working with.
    “And this you can know – fear the time when Manself will not suffer and die for a concept, for this one quality is the foundation of Manself, and this one quality is man, distinctive in the universe.”
    John Steinbeck

Do you have any fabrication skills?
    Goldy is about right, ride it around and then see what you would like to be different about the bike to make it perform better, not look better. Based on experience (I have some), I would first change the bars and footpegs and probably the seat so I was more comfortable and had better control. Then I would put on slightly longer shocks to gain ground clearance and decrease the rake for better handling. Then I would replace the tires with some Avon AM26 or Bridgestone BT45. You may notice that everything so far has been pretty much bolt on stuff except perhaps the footpegs. There has been no cutting of the frame, making a tank fit or removing of fenders, taking off mufflers or trying to fit pods. All of those things do not help performance and are a waste of time and money until you decide they are actually needed.

Cafe is about improving performance in the arenas of handling, control, engine performance and brakes. Nowhere is it about achieving a "look". Form follows function. If you follow the performance guidelines then you will end up with a bike that looks purposeful. Call it cafe, or vintage performance or custom or any other BS term you want, but if the bike doesn't work well then it is just an exercise in styling and futility.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

https://www.caferacer.net/forum/new-m...ead-first.html

2. You will get flack for horrible platforms that have been turned or are about to be turned into a vague "cafe". If you were joining an off road forum would you be surprised if you got crap for starting building your desert racer from a Toyota Camry? Would you then just insist that you are making it unique and you are just building it for yourself? Modifying bikes to cafe racers come from an era when specialized race bikes didn't really exist. Off road, cruising and street race bikes were modified from universal platforms. By the 80s the market had started to respond by creating bikes that had diverged from the more neutral universal platform. Cruising, touring, commuter, superbike and other formats had started to emerge. Picking an 80s cruiser with 16inch rear and broken back sloped semi chopper frame will not turn into a racer. If you want a race replica (and that is what a cafe racer is) start from a platform that remotely makes sense.
    We don't hate other kind of bikes - people do comment on pointless plans that ignore the strengths and weaknesses of certain bike models.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are a saver then save for a non-shit platform
    -

I don't know much about bikes, obviously. So what would be a good platform?

Ninja 250. Search for first bike, new rider threads. Point is a nice/good 1st bike is one that works and is good to learn on. Much more wisdom to be found via search.
    -

I wont say the 250 Viragos are great bikes, but they are kinda sought after by new cruiser riders as an introductory bike. But they are not, and will never pretend to be a performance bike. Worse still a cafe racer. You'll end up just making it look stupid (more stupid?).

So, this free bike has a title? Have you got it registered, on the road, etc? If so, you are doing well. Ride it around, tune it up, then when you find something you want, trade it in or sell it and buy the new bike. You're in front right now - don't throw that away by pouring money into stupid douchebag cafe mods to this bike and making it unappealing to a prospective buyer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links