1983 GS750E Progress: - Page 2
Close

1983 GS750E Progress:

This is a discussion on 1983 GS750E Progress: within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Thanks a lot for the info, you guys. I think the best thing for me to do is after the summer, take the front end ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1983 GS750E Progress:

Thanks a lot for the info, you guys.

I think the best thing for me to do is after the summer, take the front end off and confirm the dimensions of the components. (I've learned this the hard way with other things.)

Then I will post back here and we can discuss options like what you've suggested already. Then we can confirm what will work and I'll order the parts. Should be really fun, I'll definitely keep you updated.

The wideband is very cool, I'll post up some more info on that too as I get some more time.

Anyone else have some experience with clutches not disengaging?
    Before I had this problem, I was riding the bike to get it warmed up in preparation for an oil change.

Parked the bike, changed the oil and filter, then didn't start the bike again for about 2 weeks.

At 2 weeks, I started the bike to prime the oil filter and engine, and added some more oil to get the level right.

That's when I realized that the clutch wouldn't disengage.
    Thinking the discs were sticking together, I removed the clutch cover and the clutches to inspect them.

As I knew from the recent slippage, a couple steel friction plates were burnt up a little... though nothing looked warped. (I didn't measure for flatness yet.)
    They were still a little oily, so I didn't add anymore oil to the plates and put them back in.

Same story.. clutch won't disengage.
    I held the rear brake down while giving it some throttle with the clutch in while running on the center-stand.. It was able to rev up and but just wouldn't go back to normal.

Maybe there is some wear in the basket notches and the plates aren't allowed to freely move? I can check that tomorrow.

You thinking getting the bike hot, changing the oil, then not circulating oil immediately through the transmission/clutch was the problem? I dunno.
    I can get more information tomorrow.

I did notice one of the pressure plate spring threaded holes is stripped... so I am trying to replace the basket anyway.
    Will post pics.

There are a couple more plates at the bottom of the basket held in with piano wire. I will get them out tomorrow and inspect.
    Seems a little more logical that if a couple plates will stick together, the higher heat towards the core of the engine will affect the plates closest.

Sticky buggers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Ughhh I'm drooling right now, what a gorgeous bike.
    MK3Brent likes this.

I think I figured out the clutch issue.
    3 or 4 of the steel driven plates had a small amount of warp to them, so I rummaged through my parts and replaced them with other true discs.

Maybe one of the bigger issues was I needed to warm the bike up while getting oil circulating through everything.
    I was eventually able to hold the rear brake and throttle up the engine to slip past that nonsense. I will screw around with it some more tomorrow and see if everything is back to "normal."

Little clip of the bike running:

Just got this in from Airtech today.
    It's a CR-750 replica.

If I get some time this weekend, I might mock it up. Quality looks really nice on first inspection.

'82 GS750E, '99 ZRX-1100
    "Tossing a few cherries on the manure wagon doesn't make it the dessert cart."

That looks interesting.

Not sure how it would fit, but a KZ900/1000 tank would probably look better on there as it's more swooping like the fairing. Just a thought.

Did you talk to Dutch or anyone at Airtech before ordering? I suspect that fairing is going to be too small for the GS. The GS is quite a bit bigger than the CR 750 and fairings are finicky about what they fit. Airtech only sells a replacement fairing for the GS750E that is a direct replica of the original, they don't have any full fairings for it. Once you buy from Airtech it yours. I'm the only one I know of after talking to people who have experience with Airtech that has actually had a fairing replaced by them because it was so warped out of shape. Took a year to get it done though.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    Did you talk to Dutch or anyone at Airtech before ordering? I suspect that fairing is going to be too small for the GS. The GS is quite a bit bigger than the CR 750 and fairings are finicky about what they fit. Airtech only sells a replacement fairing for the GS750E that is a direct replica of the original, they don't have any full fairings for it. Once you buy from Airtech it yours. I'm the only one I know of after talking to people who have experience with Airtech that has actually had a fairing replaced by them because it was so warped out of shape. Took a year to get it done though.
    Hi, Marc!

Yup, spoke with Dutch and Walt several times.
    I already put the fairing on to test fit and it looks great to me.

Thanks for looking out for me though.

'82 GS750E, '99 ZRX-1100
    "Tossing a few cherries on the manure wagon doesn't make it the dessert cart."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links