1966 Ducati Monza Jr. - Page 2
Close

1966 Ducati Monza Jr.

This is a discussion on 1966 Ducati Monza Jr. within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; This is super cool. Subscribed....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1966 Ducati Monza Jr.

This is super cool. Subscribed.

Makes me want to take the wheels off of my RD350 donor and start polishing. Great looking work.
    01 MZ Skorpion (No, it's not stock. It was originally designed in England, has a Japanese motor, is built with Italian components, but it's German)
    03 Kawasaki KX250 (Braaap!)
    73 Yamaha RD350/R5

very interested to see how you progress with this bike, i have a 1968 suzuki k10p that i want to do something of the same with. subscribed.
    Never start anything you don't plan to finish- Ron Swanson

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BabyDuc View Post
    Fuck me sideways that is a thing of beauty right there.

-Deek

Thanks to all the comments. You never know what people will think of your vision, as there is no "right" or "wrong" when it comes to doing something custom. Even within the "Cafe" community, there are views on what should or should not be done. Clubman bars are one example. Many don't like them, but for this build they were the best option since I really like the way the fork ears look (they are original to the bike, but slightly modified), and there was no way to go with clip-ons for this bike.

Well, fast forward from the last pictures, as over the next few weeks I started getting it back up and rolling. I still had some fabrication to do, but it was time to start puting this thing together. Most of the final fabrication (like the brake and shift linkages, electrical, etc.) needs to have the bike assembled, so here we go. Even though the frame is powder coated, I decided to protect it by wrapping it in towels. The last thing I want to do is get a scratch or knick in any of the finish. So, for now it looks like it is in the hospital and covered in bandages.
    Name:  100_9407_zpsf3de1682.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  108.4 KB
    Name:  100_9401_zps1016e1ad.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  107.9 KB

Lookin' good! Good call on protecting the frame. PC is tough but sharp edges and heavy parts will tear up any coating.

Tell us about your shocks... they look suspiciously like a very cheap pair of Chinese "shock imitators" I had on my GL for a short time...

-Deek

Thanks for not allowing this machine's long, slow decline to continue, but instead being the guy that turns it around and makes it desirable again.

Hi Deek, I had limited choices for the shocks. I wanted to raise the rear slightly, but was limited by the distance I could lower the swing-arm without having the chain hit the frame. I needed a shock that was exactly 12.25" from the center of the mounts, and 10mm diameter mounting holes with rubber bushings. I also did not want to change the shock mounts because of the limited options to relocate them. There is just not that much frame to the bike. These shocks were designed to fit a Suzuki 100, but I was really surprised to see how stiff they are, which is what I wanted. Plus, they do have some adjustment to them, so I can play around with the settings. Yes, they were fairly inexpensive and likely made in China (honestly I did not even look), but since the bike will likely weigh in at less than 250lbs., I don't think I will have a problem. Once I get it on the road, I will provide feedback on their performance.

A spring is a spring is a spring... it's the guts that will get you in trouble. If they are the ones I think they are, there's basically no dampening at all. On the GL it felt like every bump in the road would cause the rear tire to leave the pavement.

Now, the GL is not a 250lb Monza so I have no idea how they might perform in your situation. Hopefully they work out for you.

If you can shell out some real cash for shocks, you would be much better served by something adjustable. (For instance, a 12" shock extended to 12.25" via the clevis adjustment) Ohlins and some Hagon models have adjustable clevis ends.

-Deek

The nice part is that shocks can be easily upgraded later on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links