1966 Ducati Monza Jr. - Page 3
Close

1966 Ducati Monza Jr.

This is a discussion on 1966 Ducati Monza Jr. within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Continued with assembly, I added the handle bars, brake and clutch levers, throttle and cable, bar end mirrors, fork ears, headlight bucket, speedometer, front brake ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1966 Ducati Monza Jr.

Continued with assembly, I added the handle bars, brake and clutch levers, throttle and cable, bar end mirrors, fork ears, headlight bucket, speedometer, front brake cable, rear fender, chain, license plate bracket, tail light, etc. etc. etc. Next major step is to tackle the wiring and shift/brake linkages. I also had the exhaust pipe out for ceramic coating as I could not find a replacement in chrome, and mine was in too rough shape to send to have re-chromed. The rearsets are in place but will need some minor modification to clear the kick starter on the left and the exhaust on the right. It will be interestinging finally ride this thing and see how many times I hit the rear brake when I want to shift or hit the shift when I want to brake. Right hand shifting will take a while to get used to.
    Name:  100_9437_zps5944da5e.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  106.7 KB
    Name:  100_9443_zps7a056f80.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  108.7 KB

On my old BSA, I never had much trouble because I was usually pulling in the clutch and downshifting when I used the rear brake, and the initial feedback would remind me of what was what. The thing I DID do a lot was pull in the clutch to upshift and find myself pulling up on the underside of the brake pedal.

Hi All. Well, I am going to jump ahead here to the (almost) finished product. I got it on the road this weekend for a couple miles in the neighborhood, and still have some adjustments to make on the timing advance and fine tuning the carb, but it is finally back on the road. Since this bike is fairly small and the original top speed from the factory was only 59mph (not real effective for riding today) I went with larger rims and also dropped the rear sprocket to a 36 tooth version. Based on my initial ride, it is pretty slow off the line, and I may up that to a 39 tooth sprocket, which I already have. I will put some additional time in the saddle to see which is best.

Name:  100_9520_zps583b0e0c.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  122.7 KB
    Name:  100_9514_zps226168a8.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  118.9 KB
    Name:  100_9510_zpsf9c31d0a.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  116.3 KB
    Name:  100_9507_zpseaa14e81.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  113.8 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Great work on the restoration BabyDuc. How well does she ride?

Your Monza Jr build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net
    directory here: BabyDuc's Monza Jr build

We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google
    Images). We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your
    build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just send me a message with a link to
    the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by BabyDuc View Post
    Hi All. Well, I am going to jump ahead here to the (almost) finished product. I got it on the road this weekend for a couple miles in the neighborhood, and still have some adjustments to make on the timing advance and fine tuning the carb, but it is finally back on the road. Since this bike is fairly small and the original top speed from the factory was only 59mph (not real effective for riding today) I went with larger rims and also dropped the rear sprocket to a 36 tooth version. Based on my initial ride, it is pretty slow off the line, and I may up that to a 39 tooth sprocket, which I already have. I will put some additional time in the saddle to see which is best.
    Dang, how did I miss this one back in April?

The OP hasn't signed on in over six months but what the heck, I'll comment now anyway. I think you can change the gearing and wheels all you want but the top speed isn't going to change. Mine tops out right around there too (gps verified, I stil haven't got a working speedo) and on the right roads it's fun but as a real world bike , these things are pretty useless. There are things you can do to bump the power but the easiest thing to do is to pull the "160" cam cover and put it on a 250... there aren't any "go fast" parts for these out there. (Well, that's not literally true but you have to REALLY want to make a fast 160, and it will still be slow). If you must go down that road, get a copy of Tom Bailey's singles book, he's got a few pointers. You can raise compression by shaving a little off the cylinder (high compression pistons are NLA for these engines) and cams from the bigger bikes can be modified to work. Some guys are boring them out and using some model of Triumph(?) piston to get more cc's? Of course you can modify the heads like the bigger bikes, and lighten all the internal components, and... in the end you'll have the fastest 160 Ducati on your block. Which will still be slower than your average SUV. And will have cost just as much if not more than if you had started with a 250.

Still a fun project, you just have to keep in mind what you'll end up with. I recently sold the parts I was gathering for my "next 160"... that 125 Sport replica is never going to happen. It's one of the projects that didn't make the short list when I finally admitted that I wasn't going to live long enough to finish all my project ideas.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

Quote Originally Posted by Albertus View Post
    Great work on the restoration BabyDuc. How well does she ride?

Your Monza Jr build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net
    directory here: BabyDuc's Monza Jr build

We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google
    Images). We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your
    build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just send me a message with a link to
    the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.

Al
    Hi Al,

Sorry, I have been working on the next project and have not checked back here in a while. Yes, you have my permission to use larger images. Let me know if you need me to do anything on my side to have it posted.

The bike is a blast to ride, but still trying to get it to perform like it should. I start to cut-out when I get to about 40mph, and I am thinking it may be a weak coil. Trying to find a replacement that does not cost a small fortune. My biggest fear is if it is the generator, because I am not sure if I have the skills to re-wind one. Never done that.

I have had it in 4 competitive shows this year, and now have 4 trophies in my office. So, I guess it turned out pretty good. Especially for my first build. I live in Minnesota, and winter is already kicking our butts, but she is happily sitting comfortably in our Family Room. Luckily I have a very cool wife!

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by BabyDuc View Post
    Hi Al,

Sorry, I have been working on the next project and have not checked back here in a while. Yes, you have my permission to use larger images. Let me know if you need me to do anything on my side to have it posted.

The bike is a blast to ride, but still trying to get it to perform like it should. I start to cut-out when I get to about 40mph, and I am thinking it may be a weak coil. Trying to find a replacement that does not cost a small fortune. My biggest fear is if it is the generator, because I am not sure if I have the skills to re-wind one. Never done that.

I have had it in 4 competitive shows this year, and now have 4 trophies in my office. So, I guess it turned out pretty good. Especially for my first build. I live in Minnesota, and winter is already kicking our butts, but she is happily sitting comfortably in our Family Room. Luckily I have a very cool wife!

Karl
    Hi Craig,

Long time no talk. Thanks for the note. I agree, fun bike but not practical for much more than slow curvy roads and shows. I still love the bike though. As I just posted, I think I may have a coil issue. Been working on this winter's build, so will look for one over the winter, and install it when Spring rolls around. I read you got out of your next 160 build. What are working on these days?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links