First Bike First Build 73 CB750 - Page 2
Close

First Bike First Build 73 CB750

This is a discussion on First Bike First Build 73 CB750 within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Nick_olson I can't say I am doing everything specifically for better performance, its also for my own pure enjoyment. I understand why ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    Senior Member BigAl8295's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    York, PA, .
    Posts
    1,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_olson View Post
    I can't say I am doing everything specifically for better performance, its also for my own pure enjoyment. I understand why you feel I ruined my frame and I understand it's going to upset some motorcycle lovers but thats the benefit of it being my bike and me being able do to things I want.

    My plan is to get a set of clip on bars and the I am getting the black Dime City Cycles black cafe seat (link below)

    The DCC Original Ribbed Leather Wrapped Cafe Seat | Cafe Racer Seat
    Ergonomics suck if you do clip-ons without rear-sets. A lot of people use the rear passenger peg mounts for rear-sets. See where this is going?

    You're not upsetting any motorcycle lovers, just showing that you have no plan.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    23,274
    I think you need a Philosophy adjustment. Like many noobs you came here because google is really efficient about putting CR.net at the top of most searches on "cafe racer". Also your "research" on the subject was probably limited to google searches for cool looking cb750 cafe racers which is what lead you to cut the pegs off in the first place - because the internet can't tell you what is a good bike vs a bad bike - it can only show you images that meet meta data requirements.

    This isn't choppers, everything TV has been telling you about motorcycles has been lying to you in order to sell you crap. The philosophy you should have toward this bike is where do I need improvement? and how do I make improvements? You answer the first question by riding the bike to see where it's shortcomings are. The second you figure out by researching race bikes and talking to people who still use these as performance motorcycles.

    Blowing the bike apart? yeah that was again a dumb newbie mistake. And by the way when you do something dumb I am going to tell you it's dumb. This is motorcycles not baking class. Toughen up buttercup. Since you have already blown it apart here are the things I think you need to do:

    1) look into a frame kit that allows you to remove the valve cover with the engine in the bike. Gordon on SOHC4.net used to sell them
    2) research and install bracing on the frame. Since it is apart anyway might as well get all the welding done
    3) fresh swingarm busings, neck bearings, chain, sprockets, etc....basically the service items.
    4) figure out your rearsets now. You really shot yourself in the foot since you need the bike assembled to figure out where your feet need to be. but oh well we already covered you were being stupid with the angle grinder.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

  3. #13
    Junior Member Nick_olson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    I think you need a Philosophy adjustment. Like many noobs you came here because google is really efficient about putting CR.net at the top of most searches on "cafe racer". Also your "research" on the subject was probably limited to google searches for cool looking cb750 cafe racers which is what lead you to cut the pegs off in the first place - because the internet can't tell you what is a good bike vs a bad bike - it can only show you images that meet meta data requirements.

    This isn't choppers, everything TV has been telling you about motorcycles has been lying to you in order to sell you crap. The philosophy you should have toward this bike is where do I need improvement? and how do I make improvements? You answer the first question by riding the bike to see where it's shortcomings are. The second you figure out by researching race bikes and talking to people who still use these as performance motorcycles.

    Blowing the bike apart? yeah that was again a dumb newbie mistake. And by the way when you do something dumb I am going to tell you it's dumb. This is motorcycles not baking class. Toughen up buttercup. Since you have already blown it apart here are the things I think you need to do:

    1) look into a frame kit that allows you to remove the valve cover with the engine in the bike. Gordon on SOHC4.net used to sell them
    2) research and install bracing on the frame. Since it is apart anyway might as well get all the welding done
    3) fresh swingarm busings, neck bearings, chain, sprockets, etc....basically the service items.
    4) figure out your rearsets now. You really shot yourself in the foot since you need the bike assembled to figure out where your feet need to be. but oh well we already covered you were being stupid with the angle grinder.

    Sounds good. Again, thanks for your time.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Junior Member Nick_olson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl8295 View Post
    Ergonomics suck if you do clip-ons without rear-sets. A lot of people use the rear passenger peg mounts for rear-sets. See where this is going?

    You're not upsetting any motorcycle lovers, just showing that you have no plan.
    I understand what you're saying. I guess custom mounts for rear-sets will need to happen at some point. I have a friend who didn't put rear-sets on when he had clip on bars and it wasn't too terrible. At this point i'd like to finish cleaning and I already had plans for some of the things Geeto67 said to do.
    Last edited by Nick_olson; 05-01-2014 at 07:06 AM.

  6. #15
    Senior Member o1marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dawsonville, Georgia, USA.
    Posts
    7,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_olson View Post
    I understand what you're saying. I guess custom mounts for rear-sets will need to happen at some point. I have a friend who didn't put rear-sets on when he had clip on bars and it wasn't too terrible. At this point i'd like to finish cleaning and I already had plans for some of the things Geeto76 said to do.
    It's a 67 GTO not a 76.
    Let me ask you this about your friend. Did you ride his bike and it wasn't too terrible for your short ride, or possibly could your friend have done the wrong thing and instead of telling you " I was an idiot and didn't put rear sets on and any time I ride any considerable distance my back and wrists hurt for days" or does he answer with the typical hipster answer of "it isn't too terrible" which in reality means "it is terrible, but not too terrible." Riding in a position that is ergonomically incorrect may not feel too terrible now but could have long lasting implications in the future if you do much riding.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

    I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

  7. #16
    Junior Member Nick_olson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    It's a 67 GTO not a 76.
    Let me ask you this about your friend. Did you ride his bike and it wasn't too terrible for your short ride, or possibly could your friend have done the wrong thing and instead of telling you " I was an idiot and didn't put rear sets on and any time I ride any considerable distance my back and wrists hurt for days" or does he answer with the typical hipster answer of "it isn't too terrible" which in reality means "it is terrible, but not too terrible." Riding in a position that is ergonomically incorrect may not feel too terrible now but could have long lasting implications in the future if you do much riding.

    Thank you for correcting my type-o (Sorry Geeto67). He didn't have rear-sets on while he owned the bike. However, he did say if it didn't sell the bike that is one thing he would have added. Fortunately for me I don't have intentions on going for really long rides. That being said, i should be able to pull off having no reat-sets for a little bit until I make a mount for them. The main thing is getting this thing back together. I'll worry about the rear-sets later.

    No hipsters here....

  8. #17
    Senior Member jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    10,437
    You drive a MKV, and a broken motorcycle, you ARE a hipster!

    bases have more or less been covered, you are on the wrong path.
    just because some other idiot didn't build a good bike doesn't mean you shouldn't.

    -no low bars with out rearsets
    -don't use the term style
    -done hack shit off the bike for zero reason
    -done ditch the fenders
    -no knee dents
    -no lowering the bike
    no pods
    -don't take the fucking thing apart to clean


    do think about systems and how the bike actually works.
    do try to learn the difference between a good bike and the ship posted on blogs.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch


    Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

  9. #18
    Junior Member Nick_olson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    You drive a MKV, and a broken motorcycle, you ARE a hipster!

    bases have more or less been covered, you are on the wrong path.
    just because some other idiot didn't build a good bike doesn't mean you shouldn't.

    -no low bars with out rearsets
    -don't use the term style
    -done hack shit off the bike for zero reason
    -done ditch the fenders
    -no knee dents
    -no lowering the bike
    no pods
    -don't take the fucking thing apart to clean


    do think about systems and how the bike actually works.
    do try to learn the difference between a good bike and the ship posted on blogs.
    You're from Long Island so then you must be a wop.
    Last edited by Nick_olson; 05-01-2014 at 10:38 AM.

  10. #19
    Senior Member o1marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dawsonville, Georgia, USA.
    Posts
    7,012
    You come here and say you are excited about learning and then resort to calling names when you don't like the lessons you get from qualified, experienced builders. What would you have called him if I told you he was from L.I. and he is black?
    www.CreativeCandy.org

    I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

  11. #20
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    23,274
    I drive a Mk V, have lots of broken motorcycles, and actually am a wop. Smile when you you say that.

    ignore jaguar he has a mk v too and lots of broken motorcycles but I think he is one of this inbred uk types. Plus he's just fucking with you.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Yet another CB750 Build
    By blackbeauty750 in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM
  2. cb750 build
    By joe1028 in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 173
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 12:32 PM
  3. New guy (CB750 Build)
    By mGarcia0487 in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 02:14 AM
  4. cb750 build
    By roccitycafe in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 09:03 PM
  5. 74 CB750 build
    By dwmilton in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 06:44 PM

Search tags for this page

73 cb750 2 person cafe seat

,

building a cb750 race bike

,

cb750 clip on passenger pegs

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread