First Bike First Build 73 CB750
Close

This is a discussion on First Bike First Build 73 CB750 within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I bought this bike a couple weeks ago and its currently down to nothing but a frame. When I bought it you could tell it ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I bought this bike a couple weeks ago and its currently down to nothing but a frame.

When I bought it you could tell it leaked oiled and I was told I should do a head gasket form the previous owner.

The PO gave me a new gasket set when I bought the bike so I figured it needed to happen. I started taking the bike apart with intentions of pulling the motor and either doing to head gasket myself with a couple friends or have a shop do it. I rode the bike for almost 200 miles in two days before I started taking it apart. I didn't see any oil leak out the entire time. Longer story short I decided to continue pulling everything off and take the motor out to go nuts and clean it. My plan is to remove some things along the way and put the bike back together. I also plan on doing new handle bars and new seat setup then run it. Now that it should be clean I should be able to see where the head gasket is leaking (if thats the problem).

While taking it apart I have done a lot of cleaning. I plan on upload pictures as I finish things. I have to say I don't have the best garage setup in the world or we may not always do things the right way. I'm learning a lot and its been a good time so far. I'm very excited to learn more and get this thing together.

To Be Continued....

-Nick

why did you cut off part of the frame? new bars and seat?
    I like my shocks like I like my women. Cheap and Chinese.

Chop Chop! I like the tank.
    Good parts!
    www.speedmotoco.com
    Nice guy!
    xs1100 tri sport drag roadrace bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dirkchecken View Post
    why did you cut off part of the frame? new bars and seat?
    I cut off the triangle brackets where the passenger foot pegs go and I also cut off the brackets that hold the stand on. What are you asking about new bars and new seat?

Quote Originally Posted by speedmotoco View Post
    Chop Chop! I like the tank.
    Thanks, I'm not sure if its completely original paint. Seems like at least the gold was redone.

Good looking bike. My first real motorcycle, after my starter bike, was a '73 CB750 with drag bars and a motor that would embarrass my 100lb lighter brother on his brand new 600F2 from stop light to stop light. He couldn't keep his front end down and the guy that built the engine on my bike did a hell of a job.

If you have anyone in your life that loves you, don't ever ride this bike over 90 or 100 without doing some frame stiffening and/or swing arm upgrades. You'll learn real quick how to stay on a bucking bronco or DIE! Luckily I'm a quick learner and the guy that was on my tail in a 500hp Mustang was quick on the brakes.
    01 MZ Skorpion (No, it's not stock. It was originally designed in England, has a Japanese motor, is built with Italian components, but it's German)
    03 Kawasaki KX250 (Braaap!)
    73 Yamaha RD350/R5

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_olson View Post
    I cut off the triangle brackets where the passenger foot pegs go and I also cut off the brackets that hold the stand on. What are you asking about new bars and new seat?
    your mod'n your bike for performance correct? different bar/seat combo can in some cases be considered" performance upgrades" (handling, aero). your changing your bars to a superbike bend or higher rise? and your seat to a comfy cruiser? not much in the way of upgrades. and plus you ruined your frame
    I like my shocks like I like my women. Cheap and Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_olson View Post
    Why? that was a pretty dumb thing to do.

The "passenger peg triangles" did more than just hold passenger pegs. They also held the rear mount for the exhaust. Additionally if you wanted rearsets (and you are going to want rearsets) they served as the mounting point for all bolt on ones out there.

At this point you are just another idiot wih an angle grinder, no plan, and no direction. I hope you can at least weld since now you have to come up with solutions to the two problems you created.

Edit: looking back at your previous pics I can see why you didn't realize the peg mounts were just peg mounts - it is because some ham fisted previous owner cut your muffler back to nothing more than a stub. It should be common sense that an exhaust pipe is not properly supported by the bolts holding the head pipe on and the exhaust gaskets but then again it should be common sense that you have a plan and the parts you need in place before you take an angle grinder to anything on a motorcycle.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 04-30-2014 at 12:20 PM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by dirkchecken View Post
    your mod'n your bike for performance correct? different bar/seat combo can in some cases be considered" performance upgrades" (handling, aero). your changing your bars to a superbike bend or higher rise? and your seat to a comfy cruiser? not much in the way of upgrades. and plus you ruined your frame

I can't say I am doing everything specifically for better performance, its also for my own pure enjoyment. I understand why you feel I ruined my frame and I understand it's going to upset some motorcycle lovers but thats the benefit of it being my bike and me being able do to things I want.

My plan is to get a set of clip on bars and the I am getting the black Dime City Cycles black cafe seat (link below)

The DCC Original Ribbed Leather Wrapped Cafe Seat | Cafe Racer Seat

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Why? that was a pretty dumb thing to do.

The "passenger peg triangles" did more than just hold passenger pegs. They also held the rear mount for the exhaust. Additionally if you wanted rearsets (and you are going to want rearsets) they served as the mounting point for all bolt on ones out there.

At this point you are just another idiot wih an angle grinder, no plan, and no direction. I hope you can at least weld since now you have to come up with solutions to the two problems you created.

Edit: looking back at your previous pics I can see why you didn't realize the peg mounts were just peg mounts - it is because some ham fisted previous owner cut your muffler back to nothing more than a stub. It should be common sense that an exhaust pipe is not properly supported by the bolts holding the head pipe on and the exhaust gaskets but then again it should be common sense that you have a plan and the parts you need in place before you take an angle grinder to anything on a motorcycle.

Thanks for all the useful information, no need for the name calling. I appreciate you taking your time to educate "idiots" like myself. Live and learn.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links