Think I'm done?! - Page 3
Close

Think I'm done?!

This is a discussion on Think I'm done?! within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by goldy Ceramic coating would probably do the trick. +1, That's the first thing I noticed before the RFY shocks. The rest of ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by goldy View Post
    Ceramic coating would probably do the trick.
    +1, That's the first thing I noticed before the RFY shocks. The rest of the build looks sweet.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

[QUOTE=caferocket686;292037]Did you do anything to the engine such as a new crank, porting or other machine work? I'm going to be building an R5, or some variation of one, over the next few years and am always looking for more info on various builds, parts and trustworthy machine shops.
    The motor is stock, but with rebuilt crank, bored cylinders & new pistons/rods and all new seals & bearings. It's nice & lively. The drum brakes are so-so, but are actually a good motivator for me not to be too much of an idiot on the road, as they require pre-planning! The bike is light & handles well.
    Two Stroke World is a great information source. Economy Cycle & HVC Cycle have about any part you will ever need.

Jim B

Jim - did you paint the pipes yourself? If so, what paint did you use?

I've heard of people using BBQ paint on 2 stroke chambers with OK results - they tend to run a bit cooler than a 4 stroke pipe.

Or flame proof paint (1200 deg F) would work - although I don't think you can get a gloss finish in those, just matt.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo184 View Post
    The motor is stock, but with rebuilt crank, bored cylinders & new pistons/rods and all new seals & bearings. It's nice & lively. The drum brakes are so-so, but are actually a good motivator for me not to be too much of an idiot on the road, as they require pre-planning! The bike is light & handles well.
    Two Stroke World is a great information source. Economy Cycle & HVC Cycle have about any part you will ever need.

Jim B
    Thanks. I've looked around over there but don't think I've run across your build info. Just curious. I'll be going for the hottest motor I can build that will still maintain a decent level of reliability assuming the top end get's looked at every thousand miles or so. It will look like a race bike so I'd like to get it to perform as close to an old track bike as possible.
    01 MZ Skorpion (No, it's not stock. It was originally designed in England, has a Japanese motor, is built with Italian components, but it's German)
    03 Kawasaki KX250 (Braaap!)
    73 Yamaha RD350/R5

If you are finding the drum brake just so-so, I think you probably don't have it set up as well as you could. With a bike of that weight, a DLS brake of that side should be able to lock up the front wheel on the street without fading. On the track you should be able to get a couple of laps or more, depending on the track.
    There are instructions for setting up a brake right on the web. But just in general, If you have new or deglazed shoes and a clean deglazed drum then you should be able to get it right, Adjust the rod between the levers so the shoes both engage the drum at the same time. Then apply the brake to center the backing plate while you tighten the axle and pinch bolts.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

I will add to Ken's comments that I found the drum front brake on my XT500 to actually be pretty good.

It kinda surprised me that it actually worked well, to be honest.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links