1980 CX500 Caf¯ Racer
Close

1980 CX500 Caf¯ Racer

This is a discussion on 1980 CX500 Caf¯ Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I just picked up a 80 CX500 with 10,112 mile on the clock, it is a pretty clean bike one owner, 82 year old could/would ...

Page 1 of 73 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: 1980 CX500 Caf¯ Racer

1980 CX500 Café Racer

I just picked up a 80 CX500 with 10,112 mile on the clock, it is a pretty clean bike one owner, 82 year old could/would no longer ride it. Did not have the heart to tell him I was going to chop it and make it a Café Racer. That said riding it home today it had a knocking in the engine and the oil seals need replacing.

I am from the vintage scootering scene and am new to the Café Racer one. This will be my first motorcycle build.

Perfectly Designed to Improve Your Performance

First on the list is to get rid of the mag wheels.
    Here are the two wheel centers, the stock one and one off a 1977 GL1000 they have the same drive gear spline.

Let the disassembly begin.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Before you do anything else to it, check out the knocking noise. Those things were bad about eating the cam and lifters. If that is the problem you will be tearing down the entire engine and throwing some money at it. The good news is that chopping up a CX500C is no loss to the world in any sense, even if it just gets torn apart and never put back together. There are very few (less than 5 in the whole world) nicely done CX500 custom CX500's and even fewer that started as CX500C's. There is a reason for that. You are very limited to find any wheels other than OEM CX500 wheels that fit so you are stuck with crappy comstars in very few, but almost all, crappy diameter and widths. Therefore you are stuck with limited tire sizes and brands. The forks are crap. The frame is ugly crap, especially the loop that goes from the swingarm pivot to the upper shock mount. It should be straight. The motor is kind of cool. Too bad it isn't chain drive so you could do something about the final gearing and rear wheel.

Good luck, you'll need it with this lump.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Welcome.

How are you looking to improve your bike? Any inspiration?

Never really liked the CX but I don't really see them as a basis for a race bike either... over here (UK) they sell kits with bolt on pieces to turn your CX into something 'special' (i wanna be special daddy, just like eeeeveryone else!)

isn't that the 'custom' version?

UK CX Kits.. http://www.caferacerkits.co.uk/the-c...00-doner-bike/
    Ignorance Is Bliss

While taking apart the bike, I have run into many mis matched bolts, standard bolts forced into metric threads!! The left head had 4 destroyed threads found it was cheaper to just buy a used head off eBay than to repair them.

One of the worst ones.

Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by kenessex View Post
    Before you do anything else to it, check out the knocking noise. Those things were bad about eating the cam and lifters. If that is the problem you will be tearing down the entire engine and throwing some money at it. The good news is that chopping up a CX500C is no loss to the world in any sense, even if it just gets torn apart and never put back together. There are very few (less than 5 in the whole world) nicely done CX500 custom CX500's and even fewer that started as CX500C's. There is a reason for that. You are very limited to find any wheels other than OEM CX500 wheels that fit so you are stuck with crappy comstars in very few, but almost all, crappy diameter and widths. Therefore you are stuck with limited tire sizes and brands. The forks are crap. The frame is ugly crap, especially the loop that goes from the swingarm pivot to the upper shock mount. It should be straight. The motor is kind of cool. Too bad it isn't chain drive so you could do something about the final gearing and rear wheel.

Good luck, you'll need it with this lump.
    (Spoiler Alert) I have 8 months work on her and I did end up rebuilding the whole engine. I have GL1000 spoked wheels running on her now.

Cheers
    Mike

Started to remove the front end and wanted to label the wires, I know I could always look at the diagram but this is easier.

Stock Frontend, Need anything hit me up.

Removed.

Decided to go with the All Balls fork conversion. went in very easily. Except the old crown race that took a bit of time.

With the help of my Dermel™ and a chisel it came off.

I used the wrong spacer, they sent two with the kit. I used the thicker one but now want to use the thinner one for a better fit. UGH! Anybody have any ideas in how to get this off without destroying it?

It fits!

If you lock close the top lock nut does not thread on as much as I would like. Thus I need to remove the thick spacer for the thinner one.

The stock ignition switch will fit. Keeping the wiring that much simpler. Need to see if a locksmith can re-key my CBR600 gas cap to the stock key.

Dropped the engine to have a look inside.

UGH the sludge was not a happy sight

Still wondering how it even ran?

More Slime

The Stator looked slime/sludge free.

After cleaning the Pulse Stator

But the flywheel does not look so good.

Diving deeper into the engine. Slowly taking a lot of photos to remember how it all goes back together.

- - - Updated - - -

The clutch plates and body were BLACK.

The clutch housing after a deep cleaning

The Pulser area deep cleaned

The top end deep cleaned and both now are leveled.

Page 1 of 73 1231151 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links