1972 Honda CB750 Cafe Racer
Close

This is a discussion on 1972 Honda CB750 Cafe Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; It has been a seriously long time since I have even lurked on here. I was down to ZERO running, registered street bikes and concentrating ...

It has been a seriously long time since I have even lurked on here. I was down to ZERO running, registered street bikes and concentrating more on racing my 24 Hours of Lemons car for the past 4 years. I didn't wanna hang out on a Cafe Racer (or any motorcycle) forum and be just another poseur without a bike.

But, after about 10 months of disassembly, cleaning, painting and reassembly I finally have a bike to ride, and something I feel I can show off on the forums. This is my 1972 CB750. I've owned it since 1994 (20 years now). I traded my first bike for it (1969 CL450) in Boston, rode it cross country, used it as a messenger hack in L.A. for years, and finally retired it when the 4th motor got tired. I would guess the only thing left from the original bike I started with is the frame.

Name:  DSC_0138.jpg
Views: 1979
Size:  182.6 KBName:  DSC_0116.jpg
Views: 2261
Size:  131.1 KB

Its far from finished. I finally got it ridable, and legal, so now I'm riding it, but it needs tires and shocks, and I am hoping to mate from Suzuki discs to the stock Honda spoked front wheel so I can continue to use the CB900F twin piston calipers. Tank emblems are in the mail already, as are fork seals. I am still looking for a matching cast aluminum side cover for the left hand side of the frame as well, if anyone has one.

Lots of details here - Part I, Part II, Part III

Huge facebook album with before and after pictures here - 1972 CB750 Cafe Racer re-do

Have not done much in the way of finishing this in the past week. I did ride the hell out of it last weekend and loved it. I am still relearning how to corner on the street. All the riding I've done in the past 10 years was off road on a 200lb Husqvarna. I did get around to putting the tank badges on it, which makes it look much more finished. Hopefully June will be new tires and fork seals, plus a little tuning (carb sync, maybe jetting changes in the midrange).

Name:  10252039_647650201983123_3111703653923399595_n.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  111.8 KB

Name:  10366300_647650208649789_4129147263064750820_n.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  82.7 KB

That is a fairly ugly bike! However, it looks like you have improved the suspension and brakes, you have decent bars to go with stock pegs and it looks like it is reasonably comfortable. Looks like you could use some better tires and your tank badge is upside down. Enjoy riding it.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kenessex View Post
    That is a fairly ugly bike! However, it looks like you have improved the suspension and brakes, you have decent bars to go with stock pegs and it looks like it is reasonably comfortable. Looks like you could use some better tires and your tank badge is upside down. Enjoy riding it.
    Thank you, that is actual constructive criticism. I thought lousy tires were the new hip thing? New tires are near the top of the list of to do items. These aren't bad, (Dunlop 501) but they were put on back in 2004? The forks need seals and the shocks need to be replaced. All things on the list to do in the near future.

That's what I get for ordering tank badges from Australia.

The stock pegs and drag bar will stay until I move on to the next phase, which calls for a 1/2 fairing, solo seat, clip-ons and rear-sets. As far as ugly goes, I'm pretty happy with it so far, but I want to get a matching wheel for the front. At the moment I have the wheel, but need to adapt some discs to work on it and with the calipers I'm using.

Quote Originally Posted by parkwood60 View Post
    Thank you, that is actual constructive criticism. I thought lousy tires were the new hip thing? New tires are near the top of the list of to do items. These aren't bad, (Dunlop 501) but they were put on back in 2004? The forks need seals and the shocks need to be replaced. All things on the list to do in the near future.

That's what I get for ordering tank badges from Australia.

The stock pegs and drag bar will stay until I move on to the next phase, which calls for a 1/2 fairing, solo seat, clip-ons and rear-sets. As far as ugly goes, I'm pretty happy with it so far, but I want to get a matching wheel for the front. At the moment I have the wheel, but need to adapt some discs to work on it and with the calipers I'm using.
    If the badges came from Australia they would have come with a welfare form to fill out with free everything for life, and health insurance injury cover for the time it took to screw them on.( But not for psychological trauma in the event that you regret the sale ). Blood flow to the head explains many things.

I was kidding, as I suspect you are. They are the wrong badges anyway, but I needed to cover the spots in the tank and these were cheap. They are upside down because I saw some cool Japanese custom bike that did it that way, and though it looked neat.

Haven't done a whole lot since the last post, been to busy riding it. I did however wash it this weekend. Then I pulled the carbs off and adjusted the needle 1 position richer. They sure don't make it easy to get in there, do they? The carbs have to come off the motor and then off the piece that holds the 4 of them together to get the slides out. Anyway, before the adjustment it seemed to have a bit of a lean surge while cruising on the freeway at 5000rpm, but was great at WOT. Now it seems to have smoothed out all through the mid-range as well. Success!

No pictures of taking the carbs apart, but here's pictures of it clean. I also painted and then polished the edges of the finned side covers.

Name:  DSC_0024.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  198.2 KBName:  DSC_0025.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  202.8 KBName:  DSC_0026.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  163.4 KB

The Japs make carbs hard to get to so they can survive the attentions of the hands of fools. It's like they are in hiding. Can you imagine all the butchery inflicted onto Honda Four carbs if they hung on the outside like Harley ones?

Danger, is my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    The Japs make carbs hard to get to so they can survive the attentions of the hands of fools. It's like they are in hiding. Can you imagine all the butchery inflicted onto Honda Four carbs if they hung on the outside like Harley ones?
    "dumbshit quote of the day"

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    "dumbshit quote of the day"
    The real challenge for Japanese designers is to make motors idiot/mechanic proof. Usually with a focus on preventing professional mechanics from wrecking things. But, Harley-Davidson understands their customer base, and it's in their interest to let the untrained mess about with things they don't even come close to understanding.

Danger, is my business.

Sponsored Links