My new daily driver
Close

My new daily driver

This is a discussion on My new daily driver within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I know I rarely post any of my bikes on here since I don't build "cafe" bikes. I just have some stuff in the garage ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kenessex

Thread: My new daily driver

My new daily driver

I know I rarely post any of my bikes on here since I don't build "cafe" bikes. I just have some stuff in the garage that may be street legal and running if I stuck lights back on one of the race bikes. However, I live in a small community, less than 500, on the Yukon River in the middle of Interior Alaska. We have no roads connecting us to anything and we have about 10 miles of gravel roads in town and out to the dump. There are also a variety of 4 wheeler trails and such out into the woods and along the river. So, I picked up this bike at the end of last summer. I don't have any before pictures, but note that it did not have any fenders on it and a bunch of broken and missing stuff.

Here is how it sits currently and I think it is about done, cosmetically.
    Name:  IMAG0436.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  2.00 MB
    So, I paid $150 for the bike and have put new grips and new levers and a new rear tube on it, plus a quart of oil. I now have about $185 in it and that has about expended my budget. I have a new front sprocket to lower my engine speed while cruising. I am sure you are all pleased with the color scheme I have selected. I think the pink tank is the standard color for the Flywing company. I added the blue front fender from a Chinese pitbike and the yellow Acerbis ( i believe in using quality plastic when possible) was in a box that came from someplace around the village. The Flywing XR-12 is a totally awesome bike using an uprated version of the Honda CG125 motor. It now sports 150cc of pure power. I added a K&N type airfilter to boost the power even more. Since I got it I have slowed down the oil leak caused by the slight crack in the crankcase. By tightening the loose rear motormount, replacing the missing motor mount bolts and putting a nut on the other motor mount bolt the case crack was pulled back together and it only leaks a little. I put some really fancy folding levers on it that are really well built in China. They are very shiny with their chrome plating and all. The edges of the levers are a little squared off and some might find them uncomfortable but they look awesome especially for the $11 I paid for them. I still have a little work to do on the clutch and footpegs and stuff, but I think these small idiosyncrasies are part of what makes me one with the machine. I am slowly making this my own. I still need to detab the frame and weld a loop on the rear of the subframe.

I hope you all like it and I welcome any suggestions you might have to make it even better.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Neat bike, I like the fact that the seat is high enough to see Russia on a clear day.

Well, we are only about 500 miles from Russia but Sarah has much better eyesight than I do. However, we have a guy Jake the Russian that lives in a beached boat down by the river. He is a really cool interesting guy that is from Russia and a wealth of knowledge on a wide variety of topics. He had a steam engine that he would give me, but we determined that making a steam powered generator was probably not going to work very well on the small scale that we had to work with. He is busy building a 5 sided log house for another guy here in town. 5 sides introduces some interesting design complications to get the corners locked together. The point or prow of the house is pointing straight at the Yukon River with windows in the two adjacent sides so his wife can sit at the table and see who is coming up and down the river. Very interesting stuff. I can get a picture if anybody is interested.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

No point in taking on too many projects, I guess. Or rushin' to finish any that you've already got.

An aluminum snow shovel would make a nice bash-plate addition, I'd probably go all out and put some real foot pegs on it :I

I do have the remains of an aluminum snow shovel tossed in the back of my truck. I see you noticed the rakish angle to the footpegs. The bracket is made of high quality steel which is designed to bend rather than fracture. I am assuming the highly qualified Chinese engineers planned it this way to avoid catastrophic failure. I can probably bend the bracket into place at least one more time. I must be of larger stature than your average Chinese youth.

Thanks for your insight and kind comments.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    Evan Esar

The main question is - can it out run a bear??? If yes - then your good to go...
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Well, I generally ride with a .45 so I don't have to out run the bears, plus they are usually to busy eating garbage at the dump to bother with the residents. I saw 4 the last time I went to the dump.

Sometimes, I just carry a .22 cause in the bear world I don't need to be faster than the bear, just faster than whomever I am with. A .22 to the kneecap will slow my companion down to bear speed in no time.
    nicebikemate likes this.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    Evan Esar

Sponsored Links