1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot cafe build
Close

This is a discussion on 1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot cafe build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I know it's probably not the ideal choice for a cafe build and would be more suited for a bobber but I'm in love with ...

I know it's probably not the ideal choice for a cafe build and would be more suited for a bobber but I'm in love with cafe style. I am looking for good sources for cafe style seat, bars, and a tank to match that will transform this VT where can I go online?

The simple answer is there is not really an easy source for café racer style parts for this bike.

It can be done with a deep pocket, like with this one with an alloy tank.

Name:  AscotFinalVersion048.jpg
Views: 9668
Size:  127.1 KB

Or with no idea:

Name:  VT5 34596b5c25912ac0990949ae989cb159.jpg
Views: 11574
Size:  138.3 KB

I like VT500s, but there are far easier bikes to play café racer dress up with.

Danger, is my business.

The Ascot is a Tracker. Why would you want to make it something else that it doesn't want to be and never can be. Even the one Witworth posted with the alloy tank is just what he described it as a dress up cafe racer.
    Rant here not directed specifically at you -
    Why can't people look at taking a perfectly decent bike, like the Ascot, and just making it better for their specific use? The Ascot is a tracker, by design. It has decent 18" wheels already on it, decent forks, and descent tank, side covers and tail. Improve the footpegs, brakes, exhaust and bars. Then put on some really good shocks and rebuild the forks or replace them with CBR600F2 forks. The idea is to make the bike the best it can be, not try and turn it into your vision of what a "Cafe Racer" is.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Once you finish styling it up, you might want to consider upgrading the stock suspension a bit, the rear will be lazy and the front prone to head shake on railway crossings.
    Would caution you against removing the stock fork brace for appearances sake.

… green honda - blah

Quote Originally Posted by kenessex View Post
    The Ascot is a Tracker. Why would you want to make it something else that it doesn't want to be and never can be. Even the one Witworth posted with the alloy tank is just what he described it as a dress up cafe racer.
    Rant here not directed specifically at you -
    Why can't people look at taking a perfectly decent bike, like the Ascot, and just making it better for their specific use? The Ascot is a tracker, by design. It has decent 18" wheels already on it, decent forks, and descent tank, side covers and tail. Improve the footpegs, brakes, exhaust and bars. Then put on some really good shocks and rebuild the forks or replace them with CBR600F2 forks. The idea is to make the bike the best it can be, not try and turn it into your vision of what a "Cafe Racer" is.
    He makes a good point. except for having a higher opinion of the forks.
    and spot on with the pegs, the stock pegs are crap.

The VT500 motor is about as bulletproof as a Honda gets. Just ride the thing, and don't dick around with it "tuning it to a standstill".

It's about ten times better than any CB350 "café racer" has ever been to ride, BTW.

By "being in love with "café" style", I guess you mean by that Harleys and soft choppers make you sick in the gut? Your old cousins, uncles and grandfathers have a hell of a lot to answer for by buying horrible L and custom models over the years, huh?

Danger, is my business.
    Last edited by Witworth; 07-03-2014 at 01:21 PM.

[QUOTE=Witworth;297133]The VT500 motor is about as bulletproof as a Honda gets. Just ride the thing, and don't dick around with it "tuning it to a standstill".

You're right the VT500 wasn't a bad bike except for the inboard front disc. I bought one new in 1989 and clocked up over 75k in a year. I exchanged it for a NTV600, and I've got to say the NTV was the better bike, in fact it was the best dispatch bike I've owned. I had it for 4 years and clocked up 312k.

[QUOTE=steveo;297135]
    Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    The VT500 motor is about as bulletproof as a Honda gets. Just ride the thing, and don't dick around with it "tuning it to a standstill".

You're right the VT500 wasn't a bad bike except for the inboard front disc. I bought one new in 1989 and clocked up over 75k in a year. I exchanged it for a NTV600, and I've got to say the NTV was the better bike, in fact it was the best dispatch bike I've owned. I had it for 4 years and clocked up 312k.
    I knew a guy who had a 500 that he got very cheap, and he deliberately tried to kill it by riding it at full-throttle at 90-100mph for hours at a time. He failed.

Danger, is my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    I knew a guy who had a 500 that he got very cheap, and he deliberately tried to kill it by riding it at full-throttle at 90-100mph for hours at a time. He failed.
    They were all cheap :/ the bike sold for less than $2000 when it was new.

Sponsored Links