CB450 project
Close

CB450 project

This is a discussion on CB450 project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; G'day all, may as well post up my new project... So of course i had to get the best possible start for a cafe bike, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB450 project

CB450 project

G'day all, may as well post up my new project...
    So of course i had to get the best possible start for a cafe bike, a beautiful '72 Honda CB450

I was wondering why it had a tube full of Silicone in the fins?
    After some excavation I found the cam chain had chewed through the tunnel and a combination of Silicone and rough arse welding had been performed to try and keep the oil in.

Sooo, junk the barrel and get hold of a nice used one and pull the whole mess done to it's individual parts.

Having sorted the parts I intend to paint, I took this lot off to the sand blasters.

and two days later...a nice cleaned and primed pile of parts.

Next job was to strip the engine and see what is salvageable? Lucky it came with it's own engine stand!
    Crankshaft is stuffed (Rods frozen at the big end and the small ends badly surface rusted.)

I thought the head would be OK, and I think it is, except for a cracked exhaust stud mounting...should be easy enough to weld up though?

So as of today I have a few parts to take off to be vapour blasted as I'm too lazy this time to scrub 'em up by hand.
    Though I did give it all a wash in Kero as it felt plain wrong to take them the way they were.

Front wheel's seen better days..

But under the muck there is still the Yellow paint on the thread ends and under the lock washers

the rear brake also looks fairly good where the crud has protected it

Not so sure whether or not the stator will live again....
    Last edited by Zeek; 07-13-2014 at 05:04 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Don't trash that barrel. It may clean up just fine to use, if you rebore it and go for + .75mm oversize (or bigger) pistons. A used barrel may not be that much better.

The first big rule with playing around with old motors is never throw any part away. Just about anything can be reclaimed if necessary. Don't assume you can always find the used part you require.

Don't let any blasted parts sit around to rust, even an oily rag is far better than nothing.

A good ally welder can fix just about anything.

Danger, is my business.
    Last edited by Witworth; 07-13-2014 at 05:13 AM.

Anyone know if those cheap Stainless spokes are any good? The ePay ones that are around $30 a set? They aren't the butted type, but should they be?
    Plan is to use alloy rims and SS spokes at this point.
    Unfortunately I've also spotted this at BCR...
    Pricey, but jeez that looks good. Not sure if the budget will allow for that at the current rate of spend though.

I wouldn't use cheap SS spokes fromwhoknowswhereBay, even quality SS spokes can be brittle and break in use. Don't be surprized if you can find some NOS OEM Honda spoke sets somewhere on the net.

Ask these guys about spokes: Central Wheel Components Limited It's worth a read, anyway.

I can't say the cheap stuff from BCR does much for me. The ally tank is probably from India and his GRP tanks are just dangerous IMO. I wouldn't use an ally tailpiece, I think the vibes would crack it. I don't think a Manx style tank suits a Honda. I like Honda race copies, like these:

http://www.ohiocaferacers.com/Tank2-150.jpg

Name:  Tank2-150.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  18.2 KB

Their complete road bike is a neat thing.

Danger, is my business.

that tank is too big.
    latered

I also think the Honda style long narrow tank places the rider's weight too far back for good handling. I think the answer is a stock tank from a CB500T. It is underutilized, is one of the best looking stock Honda tanks, ever, and will fit straight onto the 450 frame. The stock red color is very nice and the brown not so much.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenessex View Post
    I also think the Honda style long narrow tank places the rider's weight too far back for good handling. I think the answer is a stock tank from a CB500T. It is underutilized, is one of the best looking stock Honda tanks, ever, and will fit straight onto the 450 frame. The stock red color is very nice and the brown not so much.
    Makes perfect sense.

Danger, is my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    Makes perfect sense.

Danger, is my business.
    FU Witworth, how am I supposed to work up a good sense of self-righteous indignation with a response like that?
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links