One Mean XS360 - Page 3
Close

One Mean XS360

This is a discussion on One Mean XS360 within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; hey I do like the rear hoop and the tail light - they look classy and the workmanship is good....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: One Mean XS360

hey I do like the rear hoop and the tail light - they look classy and the workmanship is good.
    Cloakedsphere likes this.
    -

You guys are missing the point. It's a 360, an in town, putt around bike. It wasn't, isn't, and never will be a race bike or a track bike.

Rear suspension is stock, it does not bottom out on the fender. Front suspension is lowered an inch. I should consider fork bracing.

Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by bifalconer View Post
    You guys are missing the point. It's a 360, an in town, putt around bike. It wasn't, isn't, and never will be a race bike or a track bike.

Rear suspension is stock, it does not bottom out on the fender. Front suspension is lowered an inch. I should consider fork bracing.

Thanks for the responses.
    but apparently it bottoms out when your brother rides it? ok, so it doesn't hit that is one unsafe thing crossed off, but improperly setup suspension can still be unsafe. Don't assume because it is stock it is good if it really is the original shocks they were under dampened and under sprung to begin with. If they are modern replacements, it still looks under sprung.

lowering the front you have changed the bikes suspension geometry.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Where you are from? do your laws require a license plate light? or just brake light and turn signals?

I am so tired of the...I won't race it so why does it need to function...bullshit argument.

Typical 16 year old kid who isn't yet ready to learn.

What you built was not terrible. Looks nice, didn't destroy anything...so what!? You want a fucking participation trophy???

As in business and life, what's the next step in your progression? The answer is you need to learn what you did wrong so that next time you can do it right. Then you take the next step and so forth.

That bike probably won't kill you, but it ABSOLUTLY is functioning less than it was stock. The list has already been made but to reiterate..,

Front suspension: did you check the oil? Did you replace the seals? If no then do it bc it's old and they will most likely be bad. Lowered front to match rear...ok...next step

Rear suspension: why the hell did you lower it? Did you buy new shocks? No? Why not? Yes...what kind?

Tires: why semi knobby? Do you offroad?

Fenders? They are not just there to look all shiny. Do you know what they actually do?

Engine:did you do a valve job? Did you change the oil and filter? Did you check chain and sprockets?

Carbs: did you replace air filter, did you clean replace rubber and gaskets in carb bodies

bars: why so low? Why can't you use super bike bars or euros? Better control, ergonomics, and sight.

Please answer these questions before you continue saying that the bike is fine as is because it's just a putt putt 360. If the bike can do 100 then trust me you will try and then these items become a serious issue.

Took some good ones today...

And here are some of my dad's build. In this case, he turned a good race bike into a safe, cool hardtail...thought I could share.

Attached Images Attached Images  

I think the bike looks fine to be honest. Just the rear looks to sit a bit too low... The dual sport tires... and the position of your foot pegs. It looks like it is hard on your back. Even if you're just going around town with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joep7 View Post
    Fenders? They are not just there to look all shiny. Do you know what they actually do?
    So Joep7, enlighten me, what are fenders for?

Allow me, Joep - fenders have and integral metal fork brace that helps keep the front wheel more or less in line by keeping the fork sliders moving uniformly. Stock fork braces from that era are mostly marginally effective steel stampings, but are a vast improvement over not having one at all. The beefy aluminum aftermarket fork braces are even better, but I could only guess that you won't be pushing that bike hard enough to cause the forks to knot themselves up to the point where you'd notice. plus, the fender-y part keeps the majority of road groad off the front of your engine and deflect the spray off the tire that normally gets blown back on you.

I owned a '77 XS 360. The Transmission is crap, and the individual air filter elements and airboxes are very restrictive. This is one of the few bikes that actually benefit from a K & N filter kit (they used to make a specific kit for the XS 360/400).

Now I haven't run any of this past Witworth, you might want to check with him on all this. He is sooooo much smarter than all of us.
    I believe we have run out of trolls.

Emit R Detsaw:

"Now I haven't run any of this past Witworth, you might want to check with him on all this. He is sooooo much smarter than all of us."

You contribution has been run through the right filters, the appropriate protocols have been enabled and you have permission to proceed.

For the airfilter comment you have received one (1) Witworth star of approval : W*

Danger, is my business.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links