XS750 Battery, What to do with it???
Close

This is a discussion on XS750 Battery, What to do with it??? within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello All, I'm new to the forum and new to older bikes. My Dad had a 1977 XS750 sitting in the back of his garage ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello All,
    I'm new to the forum and new to older bikes. My Dad had a 1977 XS750 sitting in the back of his garage for 15 years under a cover. After showing some interest in it we pulled it out and with fuel and a battery the beast lit off almost immediately. So now we are looking to make a Cafe Racer out of it. We are in the beginning of this project and after looking at all the nice pictures online we can't figure out what everyone is doing with the battery.

I see a few "kick only" builds, but we want to keep the electric start any ideas where to hide the battery? The darn thing requires 13A according to the stock battery requirements.

Well if you keep the sidecovers and the airbox and the right sized OEM battery, you won't have a battery that's too small, or carbs that never work right, like ever again.

Read these threads, like three times, then have a think.

https://www.caferacer.net/forum/new-m...ead-first.html

https://www.caferacer.net/forum/techn...ead-geeto.html

Danger, is my business.

So I guess I've committed a noob violation somewhere. I read the two post you linked for me. I went in and completed my profile with a few bits of information and read that intake filter pods are the devil...

So what does this have to do with locating a battery on an XS750?

I get the performance over appearance vibe in this forum and I honestly agree with it, but for the first time I am willing to sacrifice some performance to achieve a desired look. I'm not building this XS750 to race or to try and get every ounce of performance out of it. I want to revive an old bike into something that is fun to drive, looks great and sounds better. If I want total performance I'll go take my 2007 R1 for a ride.

Right now the side covers, battery box, and air box are going. I am designing an electronics tray for under the seat, but the battery size is making this come out larger than I'd like. Below is a picture I found online, I'm sure someone in here has seen this and maybe knows how to work out a battery. Any ideas?

Name:  custom-yamaha-xs750.jpg
Views: 16274
Size:  78.1 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

It's probably under the seat hump. As long as you're not making a brat seat out of a skateboard you'll have room there.

You can get newer tech batteries now that are smaller and lighter than the old lead acid ones - you just have to empty your wallet a bit more....

There is a HUGE compartment under the seat on the bike you pictured. It is cleverly hidden by silver paint, but I wouldn't be surprised if the owner used a full sized AGT battery rather than a tiny LiFePO battery. Between the hump and the tray under the seat there is a ton of room on that bike.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

Fitting pods is not whether or not you want performance. It's whether you want a bike that runs right. Like one that runs well, starts well and responds to the throttle well without flat spots or backfires. Tuning those old XS750 CV carbs was a nightmare even when the bike was thirty years younger. I've known a life-time Yamaha mechanic that got like half way there, with a hell of a lot of tuning effort.

Late model Triumph triple carbs are supposed to be a bolt on job and it should be possible to tune them for K&N pods and a more open exhaust.

If you can fit a big sealed "normal" type of battery under the swing arm in a box/bracket, that can be an option. That may be preferable and cheaper, to paying for an extreme-technology tiny battery. I can't work out which idiot thought of putting heavy stuff in seat hump behind the rider, like that was a good idea in the first place? Monkey see, monkey do I guess.

Remember if you don't have a good, long, thick earth lead and wire you may lose a lot of cranking power with a battery way back in the hump.

Danger, is my business.

Thanks for all the responses.

I'd love to get that weight nice and low by placing it under the swing arm, but I don't see the room for it. I plan on going with a gel type battery from BikeMaster which has the following dimensions L = 5.25", W = 3.4375", H = 6.5". I haven't looked under the tail section and that box under the seat while it looks deep enough can't be wide enough. The frame necks down towards the tank and is only 2.5" wide where the tank meets the frame.

I'm going to make a box with the dimensions of the battery and just try to see where it will fit.

My other question is why does this bike need 13A? Is it just that the old starter motor requires it or is the points and condenser ignition drawing that much.

This Shorai battery is 14 amp, and is a fraction of the size and weight of the original. Not cheap though.
    Triumph Trident carbs will definitely bolt straight on, and with a little time can run with pod filters. It's a matter of finding the best main jet size, and needle height.
    A good starting point with the main jets is 20% larger than standard.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by steveo; 07-29-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Going lower in battery amps on a bike with an electric leg does it no favours. Also your bike may have lower compression, and an ancient starter motor that may need to be serviced to give a good boot and whiz. Bare in mind your bike would probably not get any spark or even run without volts in the battery. Ever pushed a five hundred pound bike for miles with a flat battery?, I have.

Good stock bikes can even give problems with OEM batteries and fairly young starter motors.

Danger, is may business.

Here is what I did with my XS

I don't have any better pictures of the battery tray area, but basically I made a battery tray out of sheet metal that fits into the frame triangle where the side covers used to be.

2000 Yamaha R1, full custom built, 365lbs wet
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links