1984 Honda Shadow Vt700c Cafe Racer - Page 5
Close

1984 Honda Shadow Vt700c Cafe Racer

This is a discussion on 1984 Honda Shadow Vt700c Cafe Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I want to thank you guys again for all your help, Im currently buried in absorbing all the material you guys have me. Im reading ...

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 1984 Honda Shadow Vt700c Cafe Racer

I want to thank you guys again for all your help, Im currently buried in absorbing all the material you guys have me. Im reading the textbook,(discovered I really like Tony Foale, kind of a smart guy) learning the vocabulary to better articulate my future questions. Like everyone has stressed, I gotta learn the basics. While I get a grip on the suspension and learn my way around the mechanics of it, Im going to go back and look at what I really want out of this bike. Also there is plenty of electrical work to do so ill probably work on mapping it out.

@Witworth Oh wise Witworth I believe a man makes his own fate, and if mine is to die by my own invention then so be it. Also...
    1: I only have money for one shock so I cant buy two :P
    2:What the hell would a yogurt maker do for a motorcycle?
    Why do you hate my idea so much man? Why won't you just help me do it right, i'm not in a rush too do it wrong, in fact I'm not in a rush to do it at all. This is a project of mine, an experiment if you will.
    Even if it fails, so what? I want to learn real engineering not just classroom bullshit, if at the end of it all I have a working bike great, if not well by then im sure i'll have learned a thing or two.

@TCed your right I will get there maybe with a few busted tools lol but ill get there. That was the very first time I touched any of those tools, no instructor or direction. I thought it went great lol I was ecstatic I hadn't burned my self haha! But in all seriousness I fully understand that I don't have the skills, knowledge or experience for what I want to do. But if I try I know I'l learn little by little and eventually I get it. After all thats the reason I came here I saw the expertise some of the guys around here have, and I need their help, so I can learn.

@Mark Burton no way dude I haven't welded anything except scrap piping to practice on. Haha learning to weld properly is definitely on my to do list.

I understand some of you guys take all of this super seriously because some of you might have worked professionally in motor sports or, have been doing this stuff for years, or are even work currently as mechanics, I also know all of you started from somewhere.
    This is where I'm starting from.

PS: I didn't know who RSD was, now I do thanks again!
    Delson Da Silva,
    Mechanical Engineering, BS 2019
    Boston, Massachusetts
    My projects: www.projects.djd.im | [email protected]

Very good reply Delson. Keep trying, and you will succeed. Non of us were born able to weld, grind, drill holes, and paint, it takes lots of time and practice. So what if you stuff up, it's your money and time you've wasted. It's the only way to learn sometimes. Fortunately you have the vast knowledge of this forums members to help you. Listen to them it's to your advantage.

" I believe a man makes his own fate, and if mine is to die by my own invention then so be it. " I agree entirely. Just don't post your attempts at "engineering" and therefore encourage other guys to die who might read your blog and copy your efforts. It's called being responsible.

You pretend that you want to learn, but in fact you just want people to assist you in tinkering with something that you have zero understanding of. And crucially, you are not listening.

You really have to ask yourself: " Why do I want to fit a single shock in the first place? " . If the answer is "because I want to" , go get a tattoo or a yogurt maker. If any regular poster on this site thinks this project is even worth undertaking, I would be very surprized.

I can't speak for other guys, but I learnt my engineering skills from professionals, in my own employment history and receiving recognised qualifications from professional instructors. I didn't start out on complicated engineering projects that could kill me.

Go do a certified welder course.

Danger, is my business.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Witworth it is the expertise that you possess that I look to learn from, I look up to professionals like you, your instructors, because I aspires to be one, one day. Sounds all corny but its true. I am listening, Im just choosing to listen those who are looking to help me. I could be brash and just say "because I want to" and tell you up yours! But I would never because I respect you, your craft and your experience.

Why do I want to fit a single shock in the first place?
    I want to do a monoshock suspension on this bike, because....
    the bike needs a suspension.
    I have always admired the look of a monoshock.
    I know its possible.
    I know it will be challenging.
    It will force me to learn new concepts.
    I have not seen it done on this bike.

I could google reasons for mono versus dual and put here because I don't have the technical knowledge to tell you from a technical aspect why I want to do it.
    After all the question stands "why do i want" not "why does the bike need" there is no need for any of this. This is all of my own will, simply because I want this project, I want to see it through, I want to accomplish this.

If this is your forum and you ask me to leave I will, but Im just going to go find a way to make my idea work. Maybe along the way I will learn the proper technical reason for actually fitting a monoshock to this bike.

*DISCLAIMER*
    Under no circumstances do I condone, or promote this project, its designs, or ideas as safe.
    The designs and ideas posted by me on this thread and my blog are experimental and have not been tested or approved by any professionals.
    If you decide to recreate or pursue any of the ideas posted by me in this thread or my blog, do so at your own risk!
    Delson Da Silva,
    Boston, Massachusetts

Also I have already found a welding course Im just waiting for winter break so I can take it
    Delson Da Silva,
    Boston, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Star Lord View Post
    Witworth it is the expertise that you possess that I look to learn from
    Oh dear.

"At approximately 8pm Sunday evening, I primed the spark plugs, and carburetors with starter fluid. I then turned the key in the ignition, and put the bike on full choke. With the starter button pressed the bike caught on the first try, my bike is now fully operational."

Starlord,
    Drop the blog and spend that time in a manual for your bike.
    ed

Quote Originally Posted by TCed View Post
    "At approximately 8pm Sunday evening, I primed the spark plugs, and carburetors with starter fluid. I then turned the key in the ignition, and put the bike on full choke. With the starter button pressed the bike caught on the first try, my bike is now fully operational."

Starlord,
    Drop the blog and spend that time in a manual for your bike.
    ed
    haha, I have to say between that day and today I know a lot more. Not even a day after that did I find out that the bike was not fully operational. lol What I did mean was that the engine was fully operational, as in running.

I did buy the manual and I have read very thoroughly about every section that I have worked on, on the actual bike.
    I will probably make a post about everything I have actually done on the bike so far. Just to bring anyone looking at my blog up to speed, also that way people can suggest what to do next or help me catch things I have missed.

But yeah reading that It does sound retarted. Lol but you know what can I say I was excited and I had just seen/heard my first motorcycle start because of the work I learned to do and did myself.
    Delson Da Silva,
    Boston, Massachusetts

It's all good.

Keep the bike operational and in one piece. Striping it done to nothing without a precise plan, is a prelude to writing a CL advert to get rid of a box of bits.

Danger, is my business.

Take a look at the monoshock setup for the 81-82 Yamaha Virago 750/920. It is a very straightforward arrangement. It is not the best, but will work fine for any kind of use a VT750 would get.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links