The Patina Flip Special - 1975 CB750F - Page 47
Close

The Patina Flip Special - 1975 CB750F

This is a discussion on The Patina Flip Special - 1975 CB750F within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by bmartin One thing the newbies will learn from this is some project can take years just sourcing parts unless you got a ...

Page 47 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
Like Tree307Likes

Thread: The Patina Flip Special - 1975 CB750F

Quote Originally Posted by bmartin View Post
    One thing the newbies will learn from this is some project can take years just sourcing parts unless you got a huge bank to work with.
    Or have very low standards.
    bmartin likes this.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    don't know, never done it. I've rebuilt plenty of mulholands and a couple of no name shocks, and some Chinese. my take on it is - if you can rebuild forks you can rebuild shocks. I wanted ohlins to redo my webheads because they don't offer rebuild kits, everything is single order, and some of their resellers who rebuild stock NLA parts as well. Strada's are easy because the ducati community makes sure there is a rebuild kit commonly available - although my US distributor for it went out and I am having a hard time sourcing at the moment.
    If you come up with a supplier I would very much like that info. I have a set that needs rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
    If you come up with a supplier I would very much like that info. I have a set that needs rebuilding.
    will do.

here is a great tutorial on rebuilding from the laverda forum:
    Rebuilding Marzocchi Strada Shocks

here is the factory manual (click next at the bottom right to scroll through the pages):
    Marzocchi factory AG strada shock rebuild
    Last edited by Geeto67; 02-18-2016 at 01:56 PM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thanks. Links bookmarked.

I ran those Marzocchis on my race bike for years and liked them a lot. Good find there!

I used to save a lot on brake pads by taking old pads that weren't worn out but just didn't feel as good and 'refinishing' them. Used a thick glass plate and course sandpaper and rubbed them in until I got a nice rough finish. They actually felt better than new pads and didn't fade as quick. Used this same trick on pads on a race car when we were running the Hooters Pro Cup Series and the driver liked the 'refinished' pads better than a new set, they lasted longer under race conditions than a new set, and at $100 per wheel the new pads could get expensive.

Good thread GeeTo
    drgonzo and Geeto67 like this.

Geeto, I was beginning to worry that this project had died. Glad you are finally able to get back at it.
    My 750f was running a little rich with the Carpy exhaust and stock airbox. Installed a K&N filter and the
    plugs looks perfect. She is running great. Now I'm shopping for a gl1000 front end.
    Geeto67 likes this.

Looooooong running (or not) projects are my specialty. MY CB450 and '63 Dodge Dart come to mind. Ahem, uhh....yeah.

I think more of "us" here have very looonnnggggg projects that we fell are boring.
    they aren't, and I wish more people shared them.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

mini - update here.

So I just wanted to show how close the carbs were balanced fresh from the rebuild. Actually they would have been closer but I realize I didn't tighten one of the lock nuts down on the slide and it walked a little bit so now I have to go back through all this and reset the slide heights all over again.

Kids, if your manometer looks like this after a fresh carb rebuild with no tuning you are doing pretty good.

In the mean time I have been doing all the usual tasks to make sure I only have to do the carb sync once: I adjusted 6 of the 8 valves, One #2 &3 intake have yet to be done. #4 exhaust was loose from a botched previous attempt to set the valve (I didn't have the cylinder at top dead center), #1 Exhaust was 0 lash, 2 and 3 were .002 when they should have been .003. #1 intake was .001 when it should have been .002, as was #4 as well. I have to remove the tank to do #2 and 3 intake so I am preparing to do other tasks like replacing all the cables so I don't get stuck with down time. This gives me really good feelings about the condition of the head, because if you remember this project started off with a stuck valve and heavy carbon build up in the exhaust tracts. The bike doesn't appear to burn any oil and there are no head gasket leaks or strange noises.

I think I mentioned it earlier but the 1 and 4 carbs are indicating a rich condition, this may be because of my running the bike mostly on the choke and not really being able to ride it.

On deck for this weekend, in addition to #2 & 3 intake valve adjustment, is to get the timing chain adjusted, get the airbox and K&N filter fitted, and hopefully new cables and bars fitted as well. Once I know she is sorted I will sync the carbs and then tackle the electronics. Bike is charging and main electrical works fine but the headlight, horns, and starter don't work at the moment - need to figure out why.

Major parts this bike still needs:
    - shocks ( I have them but they need parts to use)
    - chain and sprockets. sprockets are ok I guess but rusty and might as well replace it.
    - tires
    - rear caliper pads and rebuild parts.

getting near the end.

Sophie says: "Hurry up Daddy, the season is almost here!"
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I forgot to add...I am not going to discuss the process of doing valves because this site is one of the best primers on how to do it for a SOHC honda:
    Valve adjustment - Honda CB750

If you need to do it just read that.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 47 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links