"Bucket List" Triton
Close

"Bucket List" Triton

This is a discussion on "Bucket List" Triton within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; For as long as I can remember, at least since 1970 when I learned to ride and was already into motorcycle magazines handed down from ...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: "Bucket List" Triton

"Bucket List" Triton

For as long as I can remember, at least since 1970 when I learned to ride and was already into motorcycle magazines handed down from my older brothers, I have dreamed of building a Triton.

For those who are unfamiliar with the Triton concept, it takes a classic 60s Norton "featherbed" frame and mates it with a Triumph big twin engine. From that basic concept, the variations are endless; pre-unit and unit engines, old forks, new forks, drum brakes, discs, every type of header system you could imagine (mostly the swept-back style, for some reason), etc., etc., etc.

The following detailed build is a cut-and-paste that started in May of 2010:

On my way back from an AHRMA vintage roadrace at Willow Springs (north of L.A. in California), I passed through Phoenix to visit a friend who had been caught in a weird situation that played to my benefit. Mark had purchased a featherbed frame from a guy that was SERIOUSLY delaying shipping it to him (one excuse after another); he finally got frustrated and bought another one several months later, giving up on the first one. OF COURSE, the week after the 2nd frame arrived, the 1st frame finally did, too! He had called me first, knowing I'd been talking about building one since we met many years earlier. So, now I had my frame!

Very nice paint, no dents, no chopped off tabs. It is a Slimline from a '66 650ss model with the welded-on top/rear mount.

On hand:
    Featherbed chassis
    Ceriani forks, Arces yokes, SLS brake
    Commando rear wheel assembly, drum brake
    Commando rear shocks
    '69 T120R Bonneville lump
    750 big bore kit w/ aluminum cylinders
    5-speed T140V cluster conversion
    Lytedrive belt drive primary system
    Finned primary cover
    Amal 930 carbs w/ velocity stacks
    Bonnie tank w/ parcel grid (67 Euro paint scheme
    Featherbed "bum stop" cafe seat with cutout
    Upswept TR6C scrambler pipes with stock muffs
    Early central-mount Norton oil tank
    Simple clip-ons, levers & controls
    Tympanium regulator/rectifier
    Smiths speedo & tach with early 70s mounting setup

Needed:

Home-made rearsets
    Home-made engine mounting plates
    Sparx ignition, hand-made wiring harness (I have wire & connecors)
    Retro lighting
    Cables, chain, bits & bobs

I figure I'll toss it together loosely and park it between my garage door and shop door, so I can look at it a dozen times a day and get inspiration. I like Bones' latest mods, I figure I can aim in that direction...

Engine, loosely assembled from parts on hand (I've got 5 engines worth or mix-n-match 650 parts)

A scruffy front end (Betor or Ceriani, not sure)

That's the basics of the project; now let's see when I can squeeze in some TIME!

GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

Been on my bucket list too, but I can't seem to get my ass in gear...... and I'm a couple of years older than you. I have the frame sitting in the shed and have been half heartedly looking for a pre-unit Triumph engine. Part of the problem is my Scottish ancestry won't allow me to pay the current rates. Another problem at the moment is I'm buried in a pile of old wooden boats... there is always something in the way.
    One solution to my engine quest, is the fact that my brother has a set of Vincent twin cases that he will never use. They suffered a rather rude transmission explosion and the previous owner had them welded up by someone who had no clue. The gearbox section is screwed to the point where it just isn't worth the cost to have everything re-welded and re-machined. It's amazing how badly warped they are. Much to the chagrin of the VOC, they would make a reasonable candidate to have the gearbox hacked off and then stuff the remainder into the featherbed. I know that'll cost way more than a Triumph engine, but time is running out. Anyway... enough of my thread jacking. Looking forward to seeing more of your project and the inspiration that goes with it.

Good to see another Triton project on here, especially a slimline. Unity Equipe in the UK can supply you the engine plates and bolt set for not a load of money. I made a set of plates for the current engine in my Slimline frame, which although enjoyable to do, took ages and if there was something I could have bought, I would have jumped at it.

They sell anyhing and everything for Triton builds and have a decent online catalogue thats worth a read, if only for reference. Molnar also supply quality Triton parts too and they have a nice rear set kit for a Manx, but the right hand peg doesnt fold. Lovely rear brake lever with bronze bushing from them, but is mounted onto the swing arm spindle which is too high for me. It was fine 20 odd years ago, but not comfortable now as my knees ache.

Take a look at the rear sets and pics on the thread of mine. If you want dimensions and where they are positioned on the gussets, I`ll give you the spec. JalSteve would also be a good point of contact as he makes nice kit and is very knowledgeable for thiis type of bike, amongst others.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

After paying way too much, and waiting way too long for my first set, I now make the unit Triton plate sets for under $500 delivered in the U.S. with all stainless hardware and a very nice head steady of my own design as well. Along with the swingarm spindle replacement kit for under $200, it's a decent package. I do these as a HOBBY nowdays, I have a full-time paycheck job. so if anyone is interested, you have to understand that you can't be in a hurry. I have a friend who is a custom knifemaker and he allows me to use his lathe, mill, MIG welder, band saw, drill press and belt grinders to make those bits. He taught me how to turn down the threads for the spindle kit, and I have to say, I ALMOST made a major decision to turn to being a machinist. Being able to play with high quality machinery is true joy. Just for the heck of it, E. Peña Custom Knives:

Last edited by grandpaul; 01-17-2015 at 09:10 PM.
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

5/12/10

Suspension & wheels-

Hollow engine block & oil tank-

Mostly mocked up. For lack of any other tank that was even close, I set the High Rider tank in place for the photo-
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

Cleared a few square feet of shelf space, emptied 2 tubs and made room to walk past where I have tires & rims stacked. I donated two rolling projects to the PBTF raffle a couple of weeks ago which cleared a big chunk of space for me to move one project out of the shop and another out of the garage. So, after clearing the floor and sweeping, then rounding up all the tools and equipment, then cleaning off my workbench, I have a "clean slate".
    Now, I can roll the bike lift out to the middle of the floor and have plenty of space to manever my work stool all the way around without getting a handlebar in my back or eye socket.
    Here's the final mock-up, including quarter fairing, before it rolled off into the garage where the new clean space is-

A shot of the 5-speed cluster-

...and the Lytedrive kit-
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

Chantland 750cc kit that is a drop-in to the 650 cases with zero modifications-
    Venoila pistons-
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

12/29/10 (yes, I know, not a lot happened in 7 months)

Scored a nice Lyta featherbed tank on e-bay. Merry Christmas to me!

Small steps.

1/6/2011

Found an e-bay deal on these hydraulic clutch conversions that have a tiny slave cylinder with a stub of cable attached to the piston. You screw the slave into the clutch cable abutment at the tranny cover and that's all there is to it! Sounds like a nice trick bit for this bike.

Since I'm doing a client overhaul on a 750 Bonnie, I'm going to hustle things up and get the engine for this bike done at the same time.

Pix soon!
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

All those months waiting weren't TOTALLY wasted; here's my rendering of the bike, still not sure on mufflers...
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

1/14/11

Engine mount conversion plates and all overhaul parts have been ordered and are on the way.
    Frame and associated parts are stripped for powdercoat, those will get delivered to powdercoater next week, parts to be chromed will go in to the plater on the same day.
    Engine covers will wait for polishing till conversion plates arrive; the plates might need to be polished as well (not sure of the level of finish).
    Next thing I need to do is work out the fit of the wheels with the forks & swingarm, to see if I'm going to need custom spacers and/or axles.
    The front wheel fit will be last to decide, depending on whether I am able to acquire a 4LS brake in a timely manner.
    Humming right along...
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links