cb750 racing frame - Page 10
Close

cb750 racing frame

This is a discussion on cb750 racing frame within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Tony is on FB and always talking bikes. Nice guy. Cool bikes....

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: cb750 racing frame

Tony is on FB and always talking bikes.
    Nice guy.
    Cool bikes.
    44dwarf likes this.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

BTW - forgot to ask how did you go welding up the rocker cover? Looks like you got it sorted but did it give you much grief?

played with the tungsten and filler, turns out I was overestimating the tungsten diameter needed, so it wasn't getting hot enough to arc properly, and the filler I was using was too big as well, went down in tungsten size and filler size and all was well, no need to preheat either

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I guess we should make all our suspension decisions based on some street bikes and racing technology from 20 years ago. While it may be interesting what some mythical GP chassis guy knew about flexiflyer framed racebikes and give up trying to do anything better. However, I am a google image expert so I asked the Google about MotoGP rear suspensions and all the pictures of those bikes had fancy shocks with linkages and stuff. I wonder why. I will be curious what Tony Foale has to say about it since he is an expert and actually makes stuff. I bet he even has friends in the industry that aren't imaginary that know stuff, too. Did I mention that I raced against Tony at Mid-Ohio and then I visited with him in the pits while we looked at his frame that he built. Tony Foale exists, is a real person that impresses rather than amuses me.

Ken
    44dwarf likes this.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Careful now Ken - you're in danger of going against your own mantra here and engaging the dancing monkey.

Using a swingarm with rising rate linkages allows you to have greater control over the suspension attributes and also centralizes the mass / location of the shock parts. Is one better than the other? Well, the linkaged types are superior now mostly because no one uses the other type. All the development has been on linkaged style suspension.

It's a bit like USD forks V conventional forks - sure, you could probably make a set of conventional forks that are as good as USD's, but it's just old style technology and there's not much point when there's superior stuff readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    Careful now Ken - you're in danger of going against your own mantra here and engaging the dancing monkey.

Using a swingarm with rising rate linkages allows you to have greater control over the suspension attributes and also centralizes the mass / location of the shock parts. Is one better than the other? Well, the linkaged types are superior now mostly because no one uses the other type. All the development has been on linkaged style suspension.

It's a bit like USD forks V conventional forks - sure, you could probably make a set of conventional forks that are as good as USD's, but it's just old style technology and there's not much point when there's superior stuff readily available.
    Nope, I don't directly respond to dancing monkeys, but I do feel that it is OK to point out absurd statements regardless of who makes them. I have noticed that whenever I directly call my amusement on his obvious stupidity or lies he never answers the direct question. I don't expect a reply here, as you noted the advantages of a linkage style rear suspension outweigh the simplicity of the direct system. Would Moto GP, Moto2 or Moto3 use a linkage type system if the direct system offered any advantage over a simpler system?

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenessex View Post
    I guess we should make all our suspension decisions based on some street bikes and racing technology from 20 years ago. While it may be interesting what some mythical GP chassis guy knew about flexiflyer framed racebikes and give up trying to do anything better. However, I am a google image expert so I asked the Google about MotoGP rear suspensions and all the pictures of those bikes had fancy shocks with linkages and stuff. I wonder why. I will be curious what Tony Foale has to say about it since he is an expert and actually makes stuff. I bet he even has friends in the industry that aren't imaginary that know stuff, too. Did I mention that I raced against Tony at Mid-Ohio and then I visited with him in the pits while we looked at his frame that he built. Tony Foale exists, is a real person that impresses rather than amuses me.

Ken
    thanks, I figure it will be more work to build a linkage but it will allow me to change the rate completely based on the rocker and link shape and size, seems direct connection doesn't give those kinds of options

Name:  image3.jpeg
Views: 33
Size:  960.5 KBName:  image3.jpeg
Size:  960.5 KB
    is thius the look you are after ?

Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  674.4 KB

Name:  image6.jpeg
Size:  876.4 KB

Name:  image7.jpeg
Views: 37
Size:  877.6 KB

purchased from Queensland Australia
    a long time back almost finished bike comleted just pulled back apart for final welding and paint should be done
    when striping all paint off found the brand name Scorpion on head stem marked "Scorpion 01"
    still have no info about its origins
    Last edited by dummydownunder; 12-28-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dummydownunder View Post

Name:  image7.jpeg
Views: 37
Size:  877.6 KB

purchased from Queensland Australia
    a long time back almost finished bike comleted just pulled back apart for final welding and paint should be done
    when striping all paint off found the brand name Scorpion on head stem marked "Scorpion 01"
    still have no info about its origins
    Very interesting!

Hope to see it done soon...
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

DDU- It's a British frame from the '60's. https://cybermotorcycle.com/euro/wikig/Scorpion.html

Start a thread on the frame, there are some older British racers that are members here and are extremely knowledgeable. They may be able to give you background.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links