Custom metal seat pans - Page 4
Close

Custom metal seat pans

This is a discussion on Custom metal seat pans within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by J-Rod10 Carpy bought a seat from me a week or so ago. He's posted it up as "Just finished building a tracker ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Custom metal seat pans

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod10 View Post
    Carpy bought a seat from me a week or so ago. He's posted it up as "Just finished building a tracker seat" on Facebook. You look like you do good work, don't rip off people's designs.
    Carpy, IMHO, is nothing but a liar and a thief. He sells a cafe seat base identical to the one I bought at Racecrafters International in 1978. But he claims he designed it 11 years ago and "spent many months getting the look bang on". What a bunch of crap, seat was designed 40 years ago and could be had with a enclosed box in the rear or open. The only difference in Carpys seat is the position of the floor in the box. Maybe that's what took 11 years and many months to sort out to call his own.
    The VINCENT Seat | CB750Cafe.com

My seat:
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    Carpy, IMHO, is nothing but a liar and a thief. He sells a cafe seat base identical to the one I bought at Racecrafters International in 1978. But he claims he designed it 11 years ago and "spent many months getting the look bang on". What a bunch of crap, seat was designed 40 years ago and could be had with a enclosed box in the rear or open. The only difference in Carpys seat is the position of the floor in the box. Maybe that's what took 11 years and many months to sort out to call his own.
    The VINCENT Seat | CB750Cafe.com

My seat:
    Why would call him a thief and a liar because he makes a part that is a copy of a part that has been out of production for 25+years? surely there is more a reason than this to make claims such as those about anyone. how do we know it didn't take 11 years to get the new one to match the old one that could be extremely rare?

I'm not saying he didn't steal the ideas, i'm just saying his comments about his stuff can be easily misread. Racecrafters International no longer sells this seat, so in a way its nice that someone took the time to remake a cool looking seat that otherwise might be impossible to find. there are a million different products out there that replicate another. reinventing the wheel isn't going to happen. but you can remake the wheel over and over again, just like replica car wheels, you either get what you pay for, or you settle for what is available because the better product does not exist.
    -Will

Quote Originally Posted by Lpst View Post
    Why would call him a thief and a liar because he makes a part that is a copy of a part that has been out of production for 25+years? surely there is more a reason than this to make claims such as those about anyone. how do we know it didn't take 11 years to get the new one to match the old one that could be extremely rare?

I'm not saying he didn't steal the ideas, i'm just saying his comments about his stuff can be easily misread. Racecrafters International no longer sells this seat, so in a way its nice that someone took the time to remake a cool looking seat that otherwise might be impossible to find. there are a million different products out there that replicate another. reinventing the wheel isn't going to happen. but you can remake the wheel over and over again, just like replica car wheels, you either get what you pay for, or you settle for what is available because the better product does not exist.
    So you're not saying he isn't a thief either. When you take an existing seat and make a mold from it (which is what I think is the case here) you can't say "I designed it". Because he didn't say this : "he makes a part that is a copy of a part that has been out of production for 25+years?", he stole the design and then said he designed it himself, in my book that makes him a liar and thief. If you saw mine and his seats together you would see they are identical in shape. it is hardly a rare design, even AirTech has one, but they don't claim to have designed it. My XRTT fairing from AirTech was made off a mold from Cal Rayburns fairing, not from a mold as you can still see the heads of the dzues fasteners in the finished fairing.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    So you're not saying he isn't a thief either. When you take an existing seat and make a mold from it (which is what I think is the case here) you can't say "I designed it". Because he didn't say this : "he makes a part that is a copy of a part that has been out of production for 25+years?", he stole the design and then said he designed it himself, in my book that makes him a liar and thief. If you saw mine and his seats together you would see they are identical in shape. it is hardly a rare design, even AirTech has one, but they don't claim to have designed it. My XRTT fairing from AirTech was made off a mold from Cal Rayburns fairing, not from a mold as you can still see the heads of the dzues fasteners in the finished fairing.
    I don't call him a fee for a liar because I don't make accusations without solid proof. Yes he says he designed it and your seat might be "identical" to it (I don't know the story behind how he came up with the design.) But in my book those are big accusations to make about somebody that you do not know or have never met. Who knows, he may have found a copy of your same seat and used part of that to mold the top and he designed a different seat pan? Maybe he designed it just slightly different so it fit better or it fixed an issue the original had? From the photos, I see some slight difference between the two but so slight I would have to compare them in person. what he should have said was that he spent 11 years redesigning the fender. Engineers take an old design and they redesign it in their eyes to make it better, even if it looks identical.

I want you to know I'm not trying to have a fight with you. I would be doing the same exact thing for you if you were not here to defend accusations against you.
    -Will

Quote Originally Posted by Lpst View Post
    I don't call him a fee for a liar because I don't make accusations without solid proof. Yes he says he designed it and your seat might be "identical" to it (I don't know the story behind how he came up with the design.) But in my book those are big accusations to make about somebody that you do not know or have never met. Who knows, he may have found a copy of your same seat and used part of that to mold the top and he designed a different seat pan? Maybe he designed it just slightly different so it fit better or it fixed an issue the original had? From the photos, I see some slight difference between the two but so slight I would have to compare them in person. what he should have said was that he spent 11 years redesigning the fender. Engineers take an old design and they redesign it in their eyes to make it better, even if it looks identical.

I want you to know I'm not trying to have a fight with you. I would be doing the same exact thing for you if you were not here to defend accusations against you.
    Who are you to fight his battle? I called him on it myself, he had no defense. I have my opinion and it's not going to change.
    Lpst likes this.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I would say if he is making a copy of an older design,even with improvements, it still should be said as much.....

I would think It acceptable to pop new ones,yet state they are molded off an early original design...GIVE CREDIT WHERE DUE!!!...

I concour with the comment of multiple boats being pop'd from the same master molds in the 60/70's.. Many were sold countless times, then renamed with little if any design changes...I have a 16 ft ski boat that could have been produced by at minimum by 4 different well known west coast builders.. Most times these hulls appeared once the other maker ceased production, yet other times concurrently ...

A Lot of law suits, outright claims of theft and name calling ensued..
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links