1978 Suzuki GS750 build
Close

1978 Suzuki GS750 build

This is a discussion on 1978 Suzuki GS750 build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; How's everyone doing? just picked up a 78 GS750. I don't want to go crazy and cut up the frame or anything. i would like ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 1978 Suzuki GS750 build

1978 Suzuki GS750 build

How's everyone doing? just picked up a 78 GS750. I don't want to go crazy and cut up the frame or anything. i would like to strip the bike down to the frame and clean it all up and only charge very miniscule things, such as getting rid of fenders and upgrading lights and speedo. as of now the bike is NOT an every day bike, but soon hopefully ill be able to safely take on the streets. any information anyone can lend me would be awesome.
    Today I'm wanting to pull the tank and all the lights off and start cleaning the tank out. hopefully its already pretty clean. I am by no means a mechanic but i grew up with bikes and helped fix little things.

LETS GET STARTED!

Name:  suzuki gs750.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  184.1 KB

Leave the frame alone. Leave the fenders on.

Where on Earth did you get this notion that you have to strip a functioning motorcycle down to bare bones
    ?

Danger, is my business."

This "take it apart day one" idea is fucking stupid.
    It needs to die
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    This "take it apart day one" idea is fucking stupid.
    It needs to die
    Now Jag, how can you "make it yours" if you don't strip it to the point that no one else would want it?

you posted this same thing in the New member section, it might help to stick to one thread per question but not necessarily one question per thread.
    Marcaaron619 likes this.
    -Will

because its not functioning properly. leaks gas from the carb and it gets into the airbox. also i didn't say anything about messing with the frame, I would never think about changing that. and all im panning on doing is cleaning everything not make a Frankenbike.

thanks for the feedback though

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    Leave the frame alone. Leave the fenders on.

Where on Earth did you get this notion that you have to strip a functioning motorcycle down to bare bones
    ?

Danger, is my business."
    Last edited by Marcaaron619; 07-29-2015 at 03:22 PM.

Most the wiring needs to be redone as well. believe me I don't want to take the whole thing apart but i will have to take a lot apart i feel like to get rid of the leak. if i am wrong let me know and so far i mainly see it leaking for the 3rd carb. cant leave gas in it because itll just drain out all over the engine within a few hours
    Last edited by Marcaaron619; 07-29-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Work on one system at a time.

I'd recommend getting a clymer manual (if you don't have one already), the right tools, and don't forget a multimeter.

Obviously tackle the leaking carb first. A quick google search as well as the powers of observation should help you narrow down why the carb is leaking and then guide you to the safest solution.

For the wiring, use a multimeter, the manual, this website The GSResources Forums, and a methodical combing of the harness to identify dirty connectors or frayed wiring. This will go a long way to identifying what's wrong with the wiring harness and what you need to do to fix it.

here's a GS750E I cobbled together from an old race bike... should give you some ideas of what to do.
    https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...did-right.html
    Last edited by CaTacL1sm; 07-29-2015 at 06:48 PM. Reason: cant read... tank changed to carb
    Marcaaron619 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

The carbs are leaking , so take them off and set them on the bench. Then disassemble the rest of the motor. This won't have any bearing on the issues with the carbs leaking, but you have to do it anyways. Remove the fenders because they are not necessary, the factory put them on to keep shit off the motor, shit being thrown into the carbs, water dirt/rocks being thrown in your face and the motor, braces the forks, etc. None of that is necessary. All of the lights definitely need to come off in order to clean the tank that you don't know if it needs cleaning or not.
    LETS GET STARTED!

CaTac, who said the tank had a leak?
    Last edited by o1marc; 07-29-2015 at 04:16 PM.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post

CaTac, who said the tank had a leak?
    I can't read.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links