First CB550 cafe transformation - Page 5
Close

First CB550 cafe transformation

This is a discussion on First CB550 cafe transformation within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Joep7 all the cool kids are on snap chat now...not Instagram. - - - Updated - - - You basically did... Thought ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: First CB550 cafe transformation

Quote Originally Posted by Joep7 View Post
    all the cool kids are on snap chat now...not Instagram.

- - - Updated - - -

You basically did...

Thought snapchat was for underage girls to flash thier tits?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryry View Post
    The most useful thing would be to just say the functionality of the bike I posted is lacking and then gave me an example of bike which you did but I just don't like the way that bike looks and that does matter to me, in all honesty what I'm looking for is a minimalist bike for 2 people that has the capability of trailing every once in awhile.

Serious question is their a way to have the cafe racer seat with 2 people? Someone told me a triumph model has this

With the info you put in, what did you expect.
    it only works if you work it.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    Thought snapchat was for underage girls to flash thier tits?

- - - Updated - - -

With the info you put in, what did you expect.
    it only works if you work it.

Thats periscope I think.

Dude - your bike has floorboards. That's actually pretty cool.

Just change the seat to a standard 550 seat and ride the thing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

OK, look. New rider of questionable skills, old bike of unknown mechanical condition.

Wouldn't it be a better choice to either make it or buy a bike that isn't as liable to wobble, sputter and toss you over the bars at will (make it FUNCTION), before you fuck it up in other ways?

please think it through carefully before you carry out your "minimalist" plans. Pods only work well with hours of work with the carbs. Without a rear fender of some sort, you'll get water, mud, road debris thrown all over not only you, but your carburetors as well. These "socks" you speak of, They gotta breath, right? They won't if these mythical fender cure alls are plugged with road gunk. bang zoom, all your expensive carb tuning down the drain. The front fender on most bikes also help reduce the amount of flexing and twisting the forks will do. Forks that don't flex work better.

Your positioning on your bike will dictate your level of visibility. Not how you're seen, but how well you can see. lean over, stretch your arms out in front of you and tell me how well you can see side to side and behind you. You can't trust just your mirrors.

I could go on, but it comes down to really thinking through what your intents are in choosing a bike, then learning to ride it and then learning to operate it safely around people that won't see you and won't know you're there until they turn you to a speed bump.

It's cool you want to ride motorcycles, but learn to be a motorcyclist. Arm yourself as best as possible to be able to ride safely on a bike that's mechanically safe to ride.
    Old Nail likes this.

About the seat.

Look at a triumph thruxton. The back seat cowl is removable. I think the new star bolt cafe model has that feature as well.

For an original two up cafe racer style seat look at a late 60's BSA, or a moto morini 3 1/2.

The pod filters you like the looks of cause tuning issues unless you match the pods to the carb jets to the exhaust, which can be difficult at best. That is why guys are reccomending you leave the stock airbox.

Have fun, do what you want, it is your motorbike. The advice to take a class is great, they did not have those when I started riding.
    Old Nail likes this.

OK Ryry (Do you have a real name? Ryry is the kind of name that a 6 year old has), here are the answers you are really asking and just don't know it. You might not like the answers but that does not make them any less valid. First off, starting out with a 40 year old bike as a first bike is just not a good idea. Quite frankly 40 years ago the suspension and brakes weren't that good even when new. So with that being said, go out and find a 2000 or newer GS500 or Ninja 500 or SV650. You can find good ones for under $2k. Ride it, crash it enjoy it and learn how to do basic maintenance on a motorcycle. You can even ride your GF on it. Keep it and ride it while you work on the CB550, cause you won't be riding it for 3 or 4 years.

Now here is the fun part. See if you can get the CB550 running right(make sure you check the charging system). Then do a compression and leak down test so you know the engine is in decent shape. Then remove that hideous excuse for a seat and find a stock seat on e-bay. It doesn't matter what condition the cover is in. Remove the cover and sand the foam down so it has no edges, just sooth curves and is just a little thinner. Then have it recovered in smooth black vinyl. Now, remove the floorboards and replace them with the stock footpegs. Replace the bars with a set of superbike bars and reinstall some turnsignals. Rebuild the front forks and the front brakes, check the chain and sprockets replace if needed and replace the tires. finally, check out your wheel bearings, swingarm bushings, steering head bearings, cables, rear brake shoes and switches. Remove the rear shock lowering blocks and replace the rear shocks with a decent set of Hagon or Progressive suspension. Don't forget a complete tune=up, adjust the valves, cam chain points and change the oil and filter. It probably needs a battery, too. You are now into your 550 for over $1000 if you do all of the work yourself. You will note that we still haven't made any cafe mods, like remove the airbox, move the battery, remove or cut fenders, or any of that. Where we currently are is that you will have a good running bike that you can ride and decide what to do once you know what needs to be improved either functionally or aesthetically. At this point I suggest that you get a couple of parts bikes so you can enjoy your bike while you do mods to the pieces off the parts bike and then swap them out so you can keep riding. Doing this the right way is neither cheap nor easy.

If you want that then here is what you do. Remove the seat and replace it with some plywood covered with foam and an old leather jacket. Cut down the front fender with a hacksaw leaving a thin edge on the metal and remove the rear fender. There, you are done. Fit some trials tires so you can go riding on the gravel roads and have fun.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

I think the OP is having a good time playing with you guys.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by TCed View Post
    I think the OP is having a good time playing with you guys.
    Ed
    I hope so.
    if not he is having a shitty time with motorcycles
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Naw....may be trolling now but wasn't to start with.

OP, IMHO the bike you wish to build is a boardtracker,brat style bike, not a cafe racer... You came onto the wrong forum... Board trackers and brat's are minimalist bikes that have their own followings and requirements of use or function...

You will be much better off finding a forum that serves your needs as the membership here wont bend to your view as to what a caferacer is...

we could list what you would need to turn one to the other which is what I think your asking,Yet won't knowingly endanger you or your pass.in telling you such...
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Sponsored Links