79 xs 750
Close

79 xs 750

This is a discussion on 79 xs 750 within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Just wanted to say Hi (new to forum and ridding) and quickly share my completed Yamaha. Picked it up last year, paid 1350 I think? ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 79 xs 750

79 xs 750

Just wanted to say Hi (new to forum and ridding) and quickly share my completed Yamaha. Picked it up last year, paid 1350 I think? with 3,500 mi in good condition. Bike has 500 mi since completion and has been pretty much trouble free and a blast to cruse around in. Pics: bone stock, midway, and completion. Enjoy (or dont) :}
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Other than the pods, that green paint (?) and dual sport tires, it's ok.

Congrats, a good deal of the membership here won't tell you, you fucked it up!

What else besides the new makeup did you do?

Yikes, if you rode it before hand you would not think so. Start up, throttle response, acceleration, top speed, braking, handling, night driving visibility, and overall reliability have all been drastically improved from previous state. The green paint was service tribute from my friends in thanks for my 6 tours over seas to Iraq and Afghanistan with the Marines and private industry...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I think you're being a bit quick pulling the "I won a trip to the middle east and all I got was a taste for tahini" card.

Details about the bike first, man.

Spec Sheets pay off. just posting pics is asking for it.

Looks alright. Seat looks like it has no real padding. Other than that you have fenders, lights, signals, and I don't see anything dangerously cheap so good job. they are never done so be expected that you have more to do....
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Any carb jetting to help with the flat spots created by the pod filter

I had a friend with that bike's near twin, in Red, back in '79 in the Navy in Corpus Christi, TX.

The bike was not bad, for it's day. Somewhat short of a superbike, but better than the old 750 twins by a good margin.
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

Not nearly as bad as the usual new arrival. But FYI, lowering the rear end didn't help handling. It slowed the steering down. That is not necessarily a bad thing for you, particularly if you do not ride aggressive twisties. It would be more stable in a straight line, and on highway, but would be "heavier" feeling initiating turns.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

jcw
    better than mine. it runs!
    8ball likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer_John View Post
    I think you're being a bit quick pulling the "I won a trip to the middle east and all I got was a taste for tahini" card.

Details about the bike first, man.
    You asked about the paint, that's the correct answer and only answer. I didn't choose the color. And I don't even know what a tahini is. I won't even bother with service details because you simply do not rate.

For the bike, to everyone, they are just some pictures of old bike needing some repair to what it is now. There are plenty of full blown projects on here worth every detail and your attention, this is not one of them so I kept it short (you would of been rather bored seeing in detail all the ordinary stuff being done. I asked my friend and father to complete this for me as I was gone the last 2 years on diplomatic security service. I would of loved to participate, but I cannot be two places at once. Not only did I receive a, IMO, a beautiful bike, it was hard earned money stretched further as it gave them a project to complete together.

Of course, maintenance came first, everything not being replaced was rebuilt, IE front shocks (one shock was empty, other had water in it), brakes, clutch, pet cocks, etc / all fluids changed (no fluid was in drive shaft), etc.

All new modern wiring and devices powered by a mini lithium ion battery relocated under the new seat, which, is very comfortable...

New parts: upgraded exhaust, upgraded rear suspension, upgraded carbs and air filter (yes, after it was done I took it to a local speed shop to have everything properly tuned, as if I would spend a bunch of money on something to enjoy and then be satisfied if it ran like crap, come on individuals!) upgraded brake reservoir and pads , upgraded headlamp, upgraded rubber (damn near had the originals on it)and all the little things like blinkers, hand grips, bars, etc

Modifications to the frame was chopping and welding the seat loop, and welding up a low pro box for wiring and battery under seat / non frame, shortening and reforming the rear tire guard.

Bars were left higher and no rear sets as too much of an aggressive lean aggravates an injury from my second "won trip", as it sits it does make for a very comfortable ride, reported by long time sport and Harley riders alike.

Hmm, what else, all paint and powder coating was done in house.

(Love using the kick start, it works, and works well, it did not before.)

Everything has been properly installed and torqued, the only issue, and I do mean only issue, was that the front tire was leaking which was mounted by HD, that has now been corrected. There are no ebay products or imitation parts on this bike. It is a very safe, properly running and fun bike, if there was room and pegs, I would put my mother on it.

I may be wrong (8ball) I do not think the rear was lowered, just the way the pictures were portrayed maybe?? (side profile below)

Not sure if I left anything out but my days are limited before my next "won trip" , and I have an hour before sun down, I am going for a ride, "later dudes"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links