Starting from scratch
Close

Starting from scratch

This is a discussion on Starting from scratch within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I want to build a one of a kind bike from the frame up with Yamaha banshee 350 bored out with the cheetah 521 big ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Starting from scratch

Question Starting from scratch

I want to build a one of a kind bike from the frame up with Yamaha banshee 350 bored out with the cheetah 521 big bore kit, stroked 3mm married to a 7 speed transmission (laugh if you want everyone else has at the engine idea) and have the motogadget m-unit v.2 controlling all of the electronics paired with all of their switches, I'm just having an issue on finding the right frame to do this with that is chain drive on the left side and that I can find lots of body parts for, be grown tired of looking for a bike that I can just modify so I'm gonna build my own how I want it instaid, ultimently I have what I want to do in my head but I just need to find a good frame to start from and that's where I need help

I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Can you weld?
    Why don't you just build the frame from scratch? You wouldn't be the first person to ever do that.

Do you have any of the stuff you need to start with now? Like a base banshee engine? Anything at all?

A quick ebay search shows that the cheapest banshee engine has a buy it now of $1050. Can you find them cheaper for just a bottom end? yes. You wouldnt need a crank either so lets say you could find a bottom end for $500. Then comes the 521 kit. $2939.39, that also include the bigger carbs you will need.

Banshee 521cc 10 Mil Super Cub Ported Cylinder Complete 72M Motor Rebuild Kit | eBay

Then you'll have to trench the cases to take the 10mil. I wouldn't suggest setting this engine up yourself either so you'll have to pay someone to do it. Electronic ignition upgrade another couple hundred dollars. And the motogadget unit $300 Now you have $4,500+ into just an engine.

Don't know what you mean a 7 speed transmission? Where did this idea come from? I don't think thats even possible but please do explain if it is.

As far as a frame there are plenty of possible frames since most are left side drive chain. I'm using an RD400 frame for my banshee engine but you can make anything work with time and money.

So is this just a pipe dream or thought experiment?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

does the 521 kit fit the RZ350? if so I would just buy an RZ350 and do that.

Banshee engines require a different transmission to work with motorcycle applications, or so I am told.

This project is laughable not because it is impossible, I have seen plenty of RD's with RZ engine swaps over the years, it is because the implication is this will somehow be cheaper than buying an already finished triton or a bevel ducati. This is a joke. I am normally all for encouraging teenagers with an interest but I don't encourage this kind of stupidly unrealistic daydreaming.

Kid, save your pennies and go buy a thruxton. please.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Motogadget m-Unit V.2 Controller

people pay real money for that?
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

I thought we had established in your other thread that customizing a bike wasn't in the cards for you at the moment and you just needed to ride what you have. How will this be better than the RZ350 I posted which you could hop on and ride? I'm all for building something different but just seems a bit over reaching for you at this point in time.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

tony, clearly an RZ350 isn't cool enough because it looks too modern and not like a manx norton.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    tony, clearly an RZ350 isn't cool enough because it looks too modern and not like a manx norton.
    If I could only turn my CX500 into a Manx...sigh

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links