Starting My First Bike Build
Close

This is a discussion on Starting My First Bike Build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I'm buying my uncles 79 gs550 with 17k on it for $450, it has been sitting for a while and it will fire but the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Starting My First Bike Build

I'm buying my uncles 79 gs550 with 17k on it for $450, it has been sitting for a while and it will fire but the carbs need cleaned, I'm looking for ideas and pointers to get my build off to a good start, i have no time span and i don't really have a budget as long as its nothing rediculas, i know i will have to take it down to the bare frame because i want to get everything I can powder coated including a 2-tone on the engine and transmission, and I'm thinking about doing a single turbo build on it but I don"t know where to get a turbo set up for it, and doing a side-to-side brushed steel tank with blue stripes at an offset, other than that I'm not really sure where to go with it, I'm going to pick the bike up hopefully on the 21st, i know my first priority is going over all of the basic with the bike, and then to start braking it down to modify the frame anyway i have to

Taking the bike apart is probably the dumbest thing to do.
    right up there with not reading anything about this place and making that your first post.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Do you currently ride motorcycles or is this your first motorcycle?

Red flags here are "First Bike Build" and "Modify Frame".

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I do ride motorcycles, I am familiar with some bike modifications, I have helped my neighbor with a couple of his builds, this is going to be MY first bike build, and I've seen a couple bikes with turbo and I have messed around with them, I put one on my car, and the reasoning behind taking it to just the frame is so I can get it powder coated and rebuild the engine

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I'm buying my uncles 79 gs550 with 17k on it for $450, it has been sitting for a while and it will fire but the carbs need cleaned,
    Does it have a title?
    Why do you only think it needs carbs cleaned?
    Trying to run without airbox?
    How long since it was last on the road?

I'm looking for ideas and pointers to get my build off to a good start, i have no time span and i don't really have a budget as long as its nothing rediculas,
    How about you get a freaking plan. IF the plan is a lame game of dress up then seek out DTT. If you are going for the whole "make it your own" try a chopper site.
    This place values vintage performance

i know i will have to take it down to the bare frame because i want to get everything I can powder coated including a 2-tone on the engine and transmission, ,
    Why would you think that? Even the jerk offs on TV don't do that!

and I'm thinking about doing a single turbo build on it but I don"t know where to get a turbo set up for it, ,
    How about you make something work correctly before talking about stupid ideas. You really think there is a place to buy a set up?

and doing a side-to-side brushed steel tank with blue stripes at an offset, other than that I'm not really sure where to go with it, I'm going to pick the bike up hopefully on the 21st,,
    Stay off pipebun....
    You plan on doing anything meaningful?

i know my first priority is going over all of the basic with the bike, and then to start braking it down to modify the frame anyway i have to
    Nope, you fail.
    Make it run first,
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

For me getting it running is the biggest part of going over the basics and I was planning on do a whole engine rebuild

Why are you planning on a whole engine rebuild?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

you should re-title this thread kid to "how I plan to turn a $450 motorcycle into an $8000 project that I will never finish". Jag is right - everything you want to do here has no grounded reality in the cost of doing these sort of things.

You can't build anything if your foundation is not solid. This means you need to know where you stand with this bike. So take the winter, rebuild the carbs, service the motorcycle, spend the couple grand it will take to turn the bike into a running, ride-able, reliable, STOCK, motorcycle. Don't take it apart, don't modify anything unnecessarily, just get it to the point where if you car broke down you could use it as a form of transport to get to work for the week while you car is fixed. Once you have done that, then maybe you are ready to talk about modification.
    knappyfeet, BigAl8295 and conghos like this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Buy a new bike. You'll spend less. Ride more.

You guys are all idiots trying to kill his creative spirit. I'd suggest the OP could mod a small weedwacker engine to work as an over pressure induction system.
    jaguar and Geeto67 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links