cb550 chopperish thing turned into capable street bike again? - Page 4
Close

cb550 chopperish thing turned into capable street bike again?

This is a discussion on cb550 chopperish thing turned into capable street bike again? within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I almost put this bike back to chopper thingy glory to put up for sale, but just couldn't do it. Instead I went the dumb ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: cb550 chopperish thing turned into capable street bike again?

I almost put this bike back to chopper thingy glory to put up for sale, but just couldn't do it. Instead I went the dumb route last night and swapped frames to the one with stock brackets and all of the necessary bracing.

After about 10 minutes we had this.

About 1 and half hours later I finally got the stupid rear wheel free from the swingarm and one motor mount bolt that just wouldn't let go unstuck. So much for an easy swap.

I took this pic this morning to show the aftermath of scattered tools and parts.

Then threw the tank on and seat just to make me feel like I did something. Good news is that I have most of the parts needed to get it back together quickly. Bad news is I still need to get the rear axle free from the brake plate. It's stuck pretty good so I've got it soaking in penetrant for the time being. I'll get out the torch bottle and see if it can be freed this evening.

Almost forgot, I cleaned the carbs a couple months back. Putrid fuel left in the bowls, but other than that a little dip in some Berryman's cleaned them up nice.

Two of the float valves were clogged up and the pivot pins were stuck.

Still need to bench sync before install, but they are a few minutes away from done.

I've been building a 24x24 garage all while tinkering on this turd, so progress has been slow.

Lots of fiddly little work done but it's now riding on Avons, and very close to being road worthy. Looking at some Hagon shocks and a Delkevic full stainless exhaust, but money is tight and I'll have to wait a month or two for those.

I know there's a block of wood there, but unless I lengthen the kickstand, it leans too far over. The longer cb750 forks need to be addressed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I'll get it running and riding first with the chopper setup before making any changes

If everyone did the above first the world wouldn't have lost so many bikes,,, a tip of the hat to you sir :-)
    We're gonna need a bigger boat

I had every intention of following that advice until I tried to remove the rear wheel. It took forever to remove the axle due to it sitting under a tarp in someone's yard for a year or so. The more I took it apart, the more I realized it would be only a small amount of work to convert it back since I had another stock frame to swap over to and all of the parts needed to make it happen. I've got to get this road ready and some test miles in before next month for a trip to the Lake O Pines Rallye.

That looks like a bonafide motorcycle to me.

Long while for an update. Lots happening. I'm moving in less than a month(long story), so I've been clearing out projects and parts so I don't have to bring as much crap with me. I should have purged this stuff a year or so ago, but when a buddy offers free storage you take it.

Anyway, the only bike I'm keeping is this cb550. Last night I got a pair of nice Koni shocks that just need some fluid for $100 from a buddy. Next up is exhaust. I've got the cut up stockers but they are fugly as hell. The Delkevic full stainless system looks to be the best choice for my money, so that's probably the route I'll go.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links