tt500 into a road bike - Page 4
Close

tt500 into a road bike

This is a discussion on tt500 into a road bike within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I've got a nicer source/lighting coil and flywheel on the way as well as a new woodruff key. I'm trying to do it "right" once ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: tt500 into a road bike

I've got a nicer source/lighting coil and flywheel on the way as well as a new woodruff key. I'm trying to do it "right" once and get back to riding. I'll keep the old coils and probably send it off to be rewound as a spare.

That would work too.

btw: if you don't have hard as nails you can also use plumbers teflon tape.
    Just incase it turns into an Apollo 13 mission

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN AWESOME View Post
    If you ask me that looks a lot more like an offset key than a sheared key. Maybe somebody put that in there on purpose?
    TrialsRider likes this.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The motor offset it for me.

I thought you were pulling my leg on the offset key, but it appears there are some available. None specific to the sr/xt/tt 500 models that I could find though. I do know that sheared keys are common if the flywheel isn't torqued properly, and this looks like it's ready to let go from what I see.

The plot thickens :| Clean it up and put it under your stereo microscope If there's a number stamped on it it's definitely an intentionally offset keyway.
    BTW: what's it made out of, it almost looks like it's brass in the photo. A brass key would normally be installed in something where you wanted the key to fail before doing damage to steel parts, like on a metal turning lathe or a propeller. But a lathe or propeller would never need an offset key, offset keys are normally used on motors where you can't easily adjust the ignition timing any other way, like a B&S go-kart engine.

lol looks like your motorcycle was either modified by a machinist, a sailor, a go-kart racer or a mechanical failure.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN AWESOME View Post
    I thought you were pulling my leg on the offset key, but it appears there are some available.
    Offset keys are a common way to dial in cam timing on older Ducatis (and a whole bunch of other things too I'm sure). I don't think an engine could do that by itself, when the key let go I'd think it would let go all the way, not shift like that.

EDIT: Actually IMHO there's no way it could fail like that. In order to move the two faces it'd have to shear in the middle.

EDITED EDIT: So... why the offset key? Wild ass guess aka I'm resisting doing actual work for as long as possible today so let me ramble on about things I know little about... You said the timing was way off? I'm guessing this bike runs without a battery? My 160 is like that, and you have to time the flywheel electrickery bits along with the points to get it to run right. So... if the ignition timing was off on purpose, this could have been a way to keep the electrickery in synch with the ignition? Just a guess or three..
    Last edited by DesmoDog; 04-22-2016 at 07:28 AM.
    TrialsRider likes this.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

One thing I know for sure is that it went from somewhat running, to virtually impossible to get past idle shooting flames out the exhaust at the flick of a switch. I feel like it started to let go but just didn't sheer off all the way, but looking at the key I can see why it also might have been offset. The nut to the flywheel wasn't loose, but it certainly didn't feel as tight as I would expect it to be.

The key feels almost like a lead or pot metal, but that's just an uneducated guess.

I'm just hoping that when the new parts get in, I can get this beast on the road reliably.

Maybe it moved, maybe it didn't, but you can see some marring on the shaft where the flywheel was seated?

I bet the replacement key you have on order is not offset.

& It definitely spun and flopped around on the tapered shaft at some point in its life.

btw: was the key inserted in the direction of advancing the timing? or retarding the ignition as it would more likely be after being sheared?
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 04-22-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links