tt500 into a road bike
Close

tt500 into a road bike

This is a discussion on tt500 into a road bike within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I got this turd about 4 years ago in trade. I made money on the deal until I tried to get this piece of crap ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: tt500 into a road bike

tt500 into a road bike

I got this turd about 4 years ago in trade. I made money on the deal until I tried to get this piece of crap road worthy.

So far I've redone the whole rear subframe to match sr500 dimensions(way lighter though), 36mm tx750 front forks, rd400 front caliper, xs650 front wheel, xt500 tank, custom exhaust, custom seat, etc.

I am planning shocks about 1" longer as well as some linear springs and cartridge emulators up front. I've got a newer set of tires to put on, but these will do for the time being. Lights still need wired in but it's a relatively simple circuit with only a lighting coil running through a regulator. It also needs a inner rear fender extension and some side covers but I'm going to ride it and tinker as I go along. Uni filter not seen in pic, but I've got filtration and eventually plan a 34mm Mikuni since this one is pretty worn.

RSV4, thechief86, Geeto67 and 3 others like this.

I like it! Sweet thumper man.

I like it. Aren't the XT tanks aluminum? if so you should polish it.
    thechief86 likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Early xt are steel. I had an aluminum tt one that came with it, but it's super rough. The nice ones fetch way more money than I am willing to spend so I re-did the mounts for the earlier tanks and got a cheap steel one for now. I really wanted to do a polished tank, but it's like $400 and up to play ball.
    Last edited by CAPTAIN AWESOME; 02-18-2016 at 03:22 PM.

Nicely done. I'd ride the crap out of that.
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

SRR
    That's cool. Is that a stock swingarm? I think they had aluminum swingers in '80 or '81, but earlier would be round steel. The "4 valves" sticker on the tank is funny.

You should try and find a Mikuni 38, that's what we usually run on flat trackers. Speaking of which, not sure about Arkansas, but I know there's some flattrack racing in Kansas. You should see if there's a track with a vintage class near you, go out and give it a try.
    Flattrackin.

Quote Originally Posted by SRR View Post
    That's cool. Is that a stock swingarm? I think they had aluminum swingers in '80 or '81, but earlier would be round steel. The "4 valves" sticker on the tank is funny.

You should try and find a Mikuni 38, that's what we usually run on flat trackers. Speaking of which, not sure about Arkansas, but I know there's some flattrack racing in Kansas. You should see if there's a track with a vintage class near you, go out and give it a try.
    Stock swingarm, this is an 80. I don't know who put the stickers on the tank but they are clearly from the later model xt bikes. I think it's pretty funny as is and it seems not many people notice it. Eventually I'll order some factory styled decals and redo it.

The 38 is probably a bit big for my stock motor. I've tossed around the idea of 36 or 34 and unless I hop this up any, the 34 should probably be acceptable. I may lose a bit on top end though.

As far as flat tracking goes I'm still a ways out from any venue. I will be out in Daytona in a couple weeks though for some AMA viewing pleasure.
    Last edited by CAPTAIN AWESOME; 02-19-2016 at 05:45 PM.

SRR
    Good point, almost forgot that most of the flattrack bikes are punched out to 540.

Have a blast in Daytona. I went last year for my first time, what a fun scene.
    Flattrackin.

Quote Originally Posted by SRR View Post
    Good point, almost forgot that most of the flattrack bikes are punched out to 540.

Have a blast in Daytona. I went last year for my first time, what a fun scene.
    I'll only be there a few days, but while there going to see the final day of flat track and the Daytona 200. Should be fun I think. I'll pass on all the other "pageantry'.

Needs a fat UNI or K&N

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links