1975 Honda CB 360 T Oil Coming out of exhaust
Close

This is a discussion on 1975 Honda CB 360 T Oil Coming out of exhaust within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello folks, So i have a 75 Honda cb306T, picked her up last year as a project. Heres a list of what I have done ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1975 Honda CB 360 T Oil Coming out of exhaust

Hello folks, So i have a 75 Honda cb306T, picked her up last year as a project. Heres a list of what I have done so far to the bike
    - Cleaned / rejetted carbs
    - new points, re-did timing to the T
    - New tank, no rust. New side covers for air box's
    - New tires / brakes
    - New diagphrams
    - New Spark Plugs
    - New Oil / Fresh Gas
    - New exhausts
    the list goes on, I had her running perfect a week ago, took it out and put a good 30 miles on it before work, parked it put it on the charger and the next day I came out, started her up and i could tell she was only running on 1 cylinder. (the left one). I let it run for a solid 5 minutes revving it up, and noticed some back fire out of the right cylinder (the one that isnt running), this was only above 3k RPM's. I played with the adjusting screws on the carb because i thought maybe it was running to lean / rich. Pulled the spark plug cap off the dead cylinder and the bike still ran, checked the diaphrams and float levels, gas is getting into both carbs. then i noticed oil seeping out of the exhaust (where they connect) and dripping all over under the exhaust pipe. I shut the bike down and now im stuck. If there is anyone out there that knows the fix that'd be awesome!

Im thinking it could be a bad oring, or maybe my screen in my crankcase is filled with goop, any advice will help! thanks

Is this for sure unburnt oil residue or is it a black liquid that resembles a mixture of unburnt fuel and black carbon? … and is the oil level in your bike dropping or holding steady?

I suspect it's just unburnt fuel washing carbon deposits out of your exhaust system. Also watch that you aren't forcing too much water into the muffler opening, that will sometimes flow out of the header connection because it's the lowest point on many muffler systems.

… just noticed you said the exhausts are new, the only previously accumulated carbon would have to be coming from inside the headers.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 04-26-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Is this for sure unburnt oil residue or is it a black liquid that resembles a mixture of unburnt fuel and black carbon? … and is the oil level in your bike dropping or holding steady?

I suspect it's just unburnt fuel washing carbon deposits out of your exhaust system. Also watch that you aren't forcing too much water into the muffler opening, that will sometimes flow out of the header connection because it's the lowest point on many muffler systems.

… just noticed you said the exhausts are new, the only previously accumulated carbon would have to be coming from inside the headers.
    Now that you say that it might be a mixture of unburnt fuel and black carbon, it was really black when i wiped it up with a rag, almost to dark to be fresh oil..I checked my oil earlier today and thought it looked a little low, but I havent changed the oil since last season ( which happened to be more then once)

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Step one download the service manual for free if you haven't already done so: http://www.carlsalter.com/pdfs/Honda...50T.CJ360T.pdf

I expect you have no fire on the number 2 spark plug, the manual will help you trouble-shoot that. That's pretty much the only way you could have copious quantities of unburnt fuel passing through the cylinder.
    Also make sure your crankcase venting is not compromised, that would create oil related problems. For unburnt oil to make it to the exhaust it would need to be coming down from the valves or up past the pistons oil ring, both highly unlikely.

Hope this helps some :|

If it is unburnt fuel it should smell like fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    If it is unburnt fuel it should smell like fuel.
    yeah it does smell like fuel when i let er idle for a little bit, any way i can stop that?

Is the battery fully charged / charging through the bike? These twins have a habit of dropping a cylinder if the charging system is not up to scratch.

Which would explain why there's unburnt fuel dumping out one cylinder and that taking off the spark plug cap does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    Is the battery fully charged / charging through the bike? These twins have a habit of dropping a cylinder if the charging system is not up to scratch.

Which would explain why there's unburnt fuel dumping out one cylinder and that taking off the spark plug cap does nothing.
    yeah! I just put a brand new battery in, and everytime im not riding it its hooked up to the battery tender, and always at 100% before being started

Try a new spark plug and check that side for spark as long as you have it out. Since you said you just set the timing, that is what I would check next. did a points screw back out? Always check whatever you fixed last.
    kerosene likes this.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Check if you have a spark, pull the plug on the dead side and see if it's firing.
    Always make the best of what you have!
    Proud to have Served

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links