82' KZ440 Brat Bike? - Page 2
Close

82' KZ440 Brat Bike?

This is a discussion on 82' KZ440 Brat Bike? within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Geeto, I think where I am at is that I'm not 100% sure where I want to go with it. I got the clubman's thinking ...

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 82' KZ440 Brat Bike?

Ews
    Geeto, I think where I am at is that I'm not 100% sure where I want to go with it. I got the clubman's thinking they would feel good. They look good, to me, but your right, the riding position is not great. If i move the controls back it may improve, but not sure if I want to do that just yet. Eventually I will just strip it down to the frame and go from there. One problem i am running into is that I want a cafe bike, but my wife wants to ride on it once in a while. So I find myself somewhat torn, do what I want or make the wife happy lol.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Quote Originally Posted by Ews View Post
    Geeto, I think where I am at is that I'm not 100% sure where I want to go with it.
    Well you need to kind of figure that out. The majority of that is riding the thing and figuring out what you like about it. If you don't like riding it then sell it and buy something you do like riding. A bike you don't enjoy riding for a reasonable amount of time is worthless.

I got the clubman's thinking they would feel good. They look good, to me, but your right, the riding position is not great. If i move the controls back it may improve, but not sure if I want to do that just yet.
    You are learning. sit on the bike and figure out where you want your arms to be, then buy a bar that is closest in shape to that. For many that usually ends up being a superbike bar or a daytona bar. honestly, you are fighting against an entire team of designers and engineers that made that bike to be something else entirely, so making rearsets for it is kind of a waste of time if you ask me.

Eventually I will just strip it down to the frame and go from there.
    No. The only reason to "strip" a bike down is to do the final cosmetics. When you are doing a custom you keep the bike together as much as possible so that you can test fit things and make sure they don't interfere other things, otherwise you will just triple the work load for yourself. Also most bikes "stripped" down never get back together, they just get sold on craiglist for no money. Esp kz440s which nobody wants already.

One problem i am running into is that I want a cafe bike, but my wife wants to ride on it once in a while. So I find myself somewhat torn, do what I want or make the wife happy lol.
    It sounds like you need more than one bike. Don't worry we all have that problem. I honestly wouldn't ride two up on a kz440 with anybody I liked, nobody will really enjoy that experience - the bike is too small. If you want something cool that you can ride two up on go finance a new thruxton and take the seat cowl off. or a moto guzzi v7.

you have to get it out of your head that not every bike can be a cafe racer, it's much harder for you to make anything performance oriented out of a bike that was meant to sell as a factory chopper.

I found some other KZ440s that look like a better use of your time and resources:
    Name:  2f763f9c61dc6a5d4a8b956a68cabeaa.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  3645724038_1375f671c5.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  177.7 KB

I happen to really like this chopper one but it might be a bit above your current skill set. It also doesn't hurt that is was owned by a well known pinstriper and custom painter Ryzart:
    Name:  bike-pics-055-754567.JPG
Views: 2803
Size:  583.0 KB
    Last edited by Geeto67; 05-05-2016 at 12:55 PM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Turn the clubmans upside down for now. Still looks custom and should be more comfortable and still lower than the stock bars.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Ews
    Ya, the stock bars just felt awkward. I am my previous bike was a Sportster 883 custom with drag bars, fun bike, but awful on a long ride. I originally wanted to build this into a Cafe bike because I love the way they look and I dig the culture surrounding the origins of the style. If I could I'd just go buy a 16' Thruxton R for my daily and try to find an old Norton or Royal Enfield to build, but then I would be faced with not wanting to modify a bike that was so good looking rolling of the factory line.

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Name:  2f763f9c61dc6a5d4a8b956a68cabeaa.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  59.5 KB
    I'm diggin' that XS1-esque paint job.

Ews
    When I first started the bike , I started googling kz440's and found this one, it jumped out at me and I wanted one similar.
    Name:  Vietnamese-KZ440-6.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  717.9 KB

Are the standard KZ and the LTD built on the same frame? It appears to me that yours is a swayback whereas the blue one in the picture has straight bracing on the top rails, likely the difference in the frames. Which is why some are sport bikes and some cruisers.

Ews
    Not sure if they are different frames, or if the one I posted has a modified frame. With mine I can chop the seat rail off and weld on a new flat rail. I've seen it done on other bikes

His air filters look like they have ED, he won't be picking up any pussy with those :|

Ews
    Lol, they do look a bit limp. But overall that bike looks like a lot of fun to ride

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links