82' KZ440 Brat Bike? - Page 3
Close

82' KZ440 Brat Bike?

This is a discussion on 82' KZ440 Brat Bike? within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Ews Not sure if they are different frames, or if the one I posted has a modified frame. With mine I can ...

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 82' KZ440 Brat Bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Ews View Post
    Not sure if they are different frames, or if the one I posted has a modified frame. With mine I can chop the seat rail off and weld on a new flat rail. I've seen it done on other bikes
    Changing the seat doesn't solve the geometry issues. Being done before doesn't make it right.
    Old Nail likes this.

Lol, they do look a bit limp. But overall that bike looks like a lot of fun to ride
    that bike sucks for a number of reasons.dangerous, if not deadly come to mind. Fun?

Wait till you grind a footpeg with your foot caught between the peg and the road!! Not so much fun now, is it? Any lowering of any street bike causes a decrease in ground clearance. Don't try dragging a peg around corners, that's all I have to say.

When I first started the bike , I started googling kz440's and found this one, it jumped out at me and I wanted one similar.
    Attachment 19663
    Hate to say this, but you're wasting time and money on the wrong bike. Geeto gave good guidelines, but it's up to you to discern between doable and disappointment, and that can be the difference between life,death, disabled, or firing up your bike tomorrow and going for a ride tomorrow, with or without your wife... That said, improvements can be made, but your knowledge and experience suffers because of a stupid fad and look. Don't fall for it! Learn here!
    woodsman and conghos like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Ews
    Any bike can be dangerous, weather it's been built correctly or incorrectly. While the safety of the bike is important, knowing what to do and how to handle it when something does go wrong, is just as important. I started riding motorcycles about 24 years ago, I've been in my share of spills (thankfully none of them ended in more than some road rash, stiff back and bruised ego) and I will probably be in more by the time I can no longer swing my leg over the seat. The day that I get on my bike, or any bike, and don't think that I might get in a wreck, is the day I quit riding all together. I believe that when a person thinks they will not get in a wreck, then they have let their guard down. And we should never let our guard down when riding, for so many reasons. I've known t many people who got to comfortable riding and got in some pretty nasty wrecks because they were not paying attention to the cars around them or they were going to fast for the conditions and lost control. I lost a good friend on her electraglide on a very beautiful but dangerous road in Montana, because she got to comfortable and went just a little to fast into a blind turn. My own father shattered his elbow because he thought he could go just a bit faster in the rain...on the highway...at rush hour...coming off base in Norfolk VA. I take riding very seriously and would never take any bike out if I was not sure that it at the very least it would do its job within a reasonable safety expectation.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

There are 3 different kz400 and 440 frames over the years. The early "smiley" motor frames, the later B model frames, and the LTD frames. There are also 3 different swingarms throughout the years. Smiley frames and B models have the most in common as the geometry is basically the same just different brackets, seats, tanks, etc. The LTD has a completely different neck area as well as the obvious seat droop. I know you could replicate the same geometry as the early frames by redoing the whole rear subframe and some careful measuring. Is it worth the trouble? Probably not.

Ews
    Ya, mine is a LTD KZ 440A. So I may end up getting this one all back to original and letting my wife ride it while I buy something different

It makes good wife bike. That's the best plan so far.
    CAPTAIN AWESOME likes this.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Ews
    I flipped the clubmans last night and the riding position feels better, but I have not been out for a ride yet. I'm not sure how I feel about the looks with the bars up, but if it rides ok and is comfortable then i will live with it. I've been looking for a Magna or even a Super Magna to possibly buy and let the 440 go to my wife. My first bike was an 82' or 83' V45 Magna and I loved that bike. I was never sure what year it was because it was given to me by my boss when i was 14, it had no title and the tag on the front end was so worn down that it was unreadable. I never got to licence it, but rode that thing all over the back roads in my hometown. I have always thought the Magnas were a good looking bike, even stock. Here is a Magna done into a cafe.
    Name:  19463503d74578ce3b.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  139.5 KB

and a super magna
    Name:  SuperMagna_01.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  111.6 KB

"Cafe"?, how about "doughnut shop cruiser".
    drgonzo likes this.

Ews
    However you want to classify it, it's a good looking build

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links