We should have a build off
Close

This is a discussion on We should have a build off within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; How about if we try to come up with a way to do an internet build off. My initial idea is that we do it ...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: We should have a build off

How about if we try to come up with a way to do an internet build off. My initial idea is that we do it on a points system. Maybe you get a point or lose a point for every dollar separation between the cc's and the dollars, US. This based on the old dollar per cc adage for buying the starting point. Buy a CX500 for $500 and zero points, buy a CB750 for $500 and you have +250 points and buy a CX500 for $750 and you are at -250. If you want to start with a bike you already have then you need to declare the purchase price at the beginning, but it can't get you positive points. For instance I will start with my XL500S that I paid $200 for, but since I don't have a bill of sale or proof, I will have to start like I paid $500.

Then we go with a point per dollar spent as verified in receipts and if you are using parts from your parts hoard then you have to use comparable values documented on e-bay with buyit now prices or with prices sold from completed auctions. All parts have value. We can determine some set values for common items like bars, pegs, used tires, etc. Finally we set a value at the end and the forum can declare it fair or set a different value by a vote or consensus. There will be a point awarded for the differential between points spent and points earned with the highest net gain declared the winner.

What do you think? Can we do it? Who wants in? This way nobody has to go out and buy a bike or sell it when done. Just some fun that will depend on some honesty and integrity of the participants and the forum members. It acn even be one of the works in progress like the Patina special or Jags Seeley or Marc's Triumph.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

I have kept fairly good track of cost on both the Seeley and my 850 Commando.
    Think it would be a fun way to get people active (with cool shit) on this forum.

Want to do this as one massive thread or individual build threads?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

I think a section with individual build threads + a monthly update thread where builders post a progress photos/report

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like fun.

What about selling parts off the bike or at least assigning the dollar/point value to that as well? Obviously a trashed pair of handlebars wouldn't count, but say the gas tank or seat?

Performance enhancements vs. cosmetic? Cheap emgo shocks vs. Hagon?

I also catalog every dime spent on parts including shipping in excel files so that's easy enough.

So my inherited free 650 I would have to start at $650, I'm out then, because this is for me, money no object. I don't even want to know what I will have in this when done.
    drgonzo likes this.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Maybe not SO much focus on that actually cost, but rather a way to look at "bang for the buck" more so.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Perhaps you need an original purchase cap and the prize is awarded based on profit from resale? The build has to be safe and functional as per the general beliefs of the forum founders , no poser resales.
    Last edited by woodsman; 05-09-2016 at 09:09 AM.

If we could nominate a project, UncleRob has my vote with his latest Honda 650 single.
    TrialsRider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    Maybe not SO much focus on that actually cost, but rather a way to look at "bang for the buck" more so.
    I know mine will be worth every penny spent on her.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Right, and I don't really plan to sell the Seeley either.

Lets not make this purely about money.
    Zero interest in $500 builds, same is true for $1,000,000 builds.
    I would MUCH rather talk about interesting ways to spend money.
    For me the thought that goes into a mod is what we should be talking about.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links