1967 Honda CL160 fork brace/bracket
Close

This is a discussion on 1967 Honda CL160 fork brace/bracket within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Does anyone know where I can find/pruchase a fork bracket for my CL? or which brackets for other bikes would fit? Many thanks David...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hillsy

Thread: 1967 Honda CL160 fork brace/bracket

Does anyone know where I can find/pruchase a fork bracket for my CL? or which brackets for other bikes would fit? Many thanks
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Ddown View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find/pruchase a fork bracket for my CL? or which brackets for other bikes would fit? Many thanks
    David
    That sounds like a job for a fabricator or maybe here: Air Seats For Motorcycles by Allyn Air Co., 30 Millstream Road, Woodstock, NY 12498, Phone 845-679-2051

Quote Originally Posted by Ddown View Post
    David
    If you're still running the stock forks (shrouded or non-shrouded?) (and original fender?) I think you'd have to try and beef up the original fender bracket. Only other obvious places to brace forks is with a fatter axle and/or upgraded triple trees. It's all in the realm of custom fabrication stuff, but very doable.

? is the bike exhibiting any stability problems that are leading you to want a fork brace ?
    If your steering head bearings are stock original that would be a really good place to start looking for problems or potential upgrade from loose balls to taper bearings.
    Rear swingarm bushings are another place to spend some service and/or upgrade effort, play in the swingarm can make the bike feel like it has a hinge in the middle.
    Wheel bearings are so cheap and easy to source and replace I trust you have already replaced those.

Inspect the bike regularly and thoroughly for loose bolts or any signs of frame cracks, especially after you start upgrading things that apply more stress to the stock frame. <- That applies to almost any motorcycle, it's shocking how many motorcycles develop cracks in their frames through years of use and abuse.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thanks to you both. It's all stock. I pulled the fender off the bike for aesthetic reasons and was looking for a bracket to provide the extra fork support. Turns out I can't get it inspected here in MA w/o a fender so I guess I'll just put it back on and maybe bob it or leave it as is

...or get it inspected and pull it off after, that is if I can in fact source a bracket to replace the support the fender provides

The stock fender is a very nice looking and functional fender imho would be a shame to hack it up, as I recall they have a bracket that goes the length of the fender, removing any material will detract from it's strength and ability to brace your fork lowers. :| but it's your bike.

besides that :/ fenderless bikes look dorky
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 05-11-2016 at 05:36 PM. Reason: oops did I say that out loud

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    The stock fender is a very nice looking and functional fender imho would be a shame to hack it up, as I recall they have a bracket that goes the length of the fender, removing any material will detract from it's strength and ability to brace your fork lowers. :| but it's your bike.

besides that :/ fenderless bikes look dorky
    Yeah but you cant run clown shoes with a stoopid fender in the way.
    BigAl8295 and TrialsRider like this.

If he said it had developed some crazy head shake that was going to be the next question I asked

Ddown it occurred to me last night that if you have really deep pockets there's a fella here that goes by the handle Monkey and if you sent him your OEM fender along with a request to form a fork brace for it, he could probably craft you an awesome carbon fibre fender/fork brace for it, and you wouldn't need to deal with all the toxic nasties associated with the process.
    The poor mans equivalent would be to heat shrink some carbon fibre look adhesive film over the stock fender, otherwise the best way to make something disappear from view and practically invisible at night is to paint it flat black.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 05-12-2016 at 05:26 AM. Reason: was attempting to achieve good penetration and avoid shrinkage when I thought of that ;)

Sponsored Links