Suzuki Intruder VS 1400 - Page 4
Close

Suzuki Intruder VS 1400

This is a discussion on Suzuki Intruder VS 1400 within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by MarkHarold I'm chewing Brad. After waiting nearly a month for the welding mask to arrive and losing my faith in humanity, I ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Suzuki Intruder VS 1400

DND
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkHarold View Post
    I'm chewing Brad.
    After waiting nearly a month for the welding mask to arrive and losing my faith in humanity, I bought another mask on eBay. I would have bought it earlier if I had checked how cheap it was, only $18.50 including postage. Of course the other mask arrived the very next day, oh ye of little faith. But it wont be wasted, as I am a Tasmanian.
    My workbench has migrated from the woodheap to inside the shed, and has morphed from a plank into the neighbour's discarded kitchen bench.
    Attachment 44538
    Just to prove I've got no shame here is a photo of my 1st attempt at TIG welding. Needless to say I've got a long way to go before starting on the tank.
    Attachment 44546
    Cheers,
    Mark

Not bad at all for your first attempt. Be sure and peel back any paint or rust and that will help out a lot. What kind of tungsten are you using? I've never had one split.

Quote Originally Posted by DND View Post
    What kind of tungsten are you using? I've never had one split.
    Hi DND, I don't know, it says on the back of the pack that they are thorium free. The next pack I buy I will try the DC only ones, just to experiment.
    Name:  P_20170102_080937.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  1.15 MB
    PS. I think I've figured out why the electrode split. I had sharpened both ends, thinking I could spin it around when I'd gunked up one end. But that is wrong because a gunked end will not fit anyway. There might have been a bit of gunk on it after sharpening and this stressed the electrode when tightened in the hand piece. All part of the learning curve.
    Last edited by MarkHarold; 01-06-2017 at 04:44 PM.

DND
    Try 2%thoriated tungsten for DC and pure tungsten for aluminum

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    Increasing the diameter of the exhaust pipes may lesson the back pressure and torque of the motor.
    Hi Marc, I've been googling a bit on the exhaust design. I know what I want, a 2 into 1 system, just because I like the look and it will suit the bike, something like what's on the Guzzi Griso.
    The best article I've found sofar is https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/exhausttech.htm. It focuses on Harleys, but the principles still apply to the Intruder.
    My thinking is evolving, at the moment it's this. I have 2 bikes so I can experiment. The 1st set will use the existing header lengths of 74cm (front) and 88cm (rear) and 1 3/4" diameter into a 2 1/2" diameter collector leading into a single muffler of the same diameter. The 2nd set might have equal length headers, I would like to understand the reasoning behind differing lengths. The 2nd set will use 2 mufflers, 1 each side, but will still use the 2 into 1 crossover header design, something like this.
    Name:  Screenshot_2016-10-12-08-45-41.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  494.8 KB
    Last edited by MarkHarold; 01-01-2017 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Fix reference URL

Quote Originally Posted by DND View Post
    Try 2%thoriated tungsten for DC and pure tungsten for aluminum
    Thanks DND, I will.
    PS. I've just ordered them on eBay, half the price of the shop. Frugal is my second name, or should have been.
    Last edited by MarkHarold; 01-02-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    DND likes this.

I'm back into tig tacking the tank extension, nearly finished. Couldn't help myself from checking how the whole thing is going to look. The tank could be deeper I suppose, but it ain't going to happen.
    Touring seat.
    Name:  P_20170103_151145.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  1.81 MB

Isle Of Man seat.
    Name:  P_20170108_071022.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  598.3 KB
    Last edited by MarkHarold; 01-07-2017 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Add photo

Just to give myself a break from the tank I had a look at the airboxes. I want to keep them but I think it is pretty well accepted that breathing has to be improved when free flowing exhausts are installed on the Intruder, that's the belief over on the intruders-alert forum anyway. To my way of thinking, the airboxes play a critical part plus I like the 90 degree rubber boots connecting the airboxes to the carbs. It's going to give a smoother flow than pods connected straight on the carbs, and if it's good enough for the Suzuki design engineers then who am I to argue.
    I have decided to try the K&N cotton filters made specifically for the Intruder. I asked for advice in the Technical forum and the main thing was to keep them dry, so this was the determining factor in deciding how to let more air in. I left the existing inlet in the front airbox as is, and made another inlet at the other end. This is high up under the tank and hopefully dry. Initially I was thinking of discarding the covers that fit around the steering head, but now realise they keep the existing inlet dry, so now they stay.
    Name:  P_20170110_122031.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  1.55 MB
    For the rear airbox, I put another inlet in the cover towards the front. I cut the existing rubber venturi inlet in half and glued it in, thinking it's better to breath through 2 short straws than 1 long one. I intend to keep the side covers but will have to pack the top out about half an inch to let air in.
    Name:  P_20170110_121015.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  1.24 MB
    On a disappointing note, the only sign of the old air filters was a lot of gritty greasy foam in the bottom of the airboxes. But there is no complaining, you get what you buy with second hand motorbikes. It's like when you sit down for a meal, don't bloody complain about the food if you're not the cook. Well, that's what I tell my family when I'm coerced into the kitchen.
    Cheers, Mark
    Struth! Stone the crows and starve the lizards.

The way the carbs are set up on the 1400 doesn't lend itself to a decent airbox design. By contrast, the 1500 has the rear cylinders' exhaust going out the back of the head so both carbs sit side by side between the cylinders. This allows for a larger airbox under the false tank.

In other words, retaining the airbox(es) you have may not be of much benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    The way the carbs are set up on the 1400 doesn't lend itself to a decent airbox design. By contrast, the 1500 has the rear cylinders' exhaust going out the back of the head so both carbs sit side by side between the cylinders. This allows for a larger airbox under the false tank.

In other words, retaining the airbox(es) you have may not be of much benefit.
    Yes, I will see how it goes when it comes to tuning, time will tell. They might have to go, but I like to take the little steps before the big ones. As the 1st step, I've made the inlets at least as big as the outlets.
    I wonder if the K&N cotton filters are any less restrictive than the original foam. I might wait and see before modifying the other bike. I've just ordered new foam filters on eBay for $20, it's a pity the previous owner didn't know how cheap they are.
    Last edited by MarkHarold; 01-10-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    Cheers, Mark

I'm not making the progress I would have liked with this TIG welding, it was always going to be a challenge, a priest and nun type of thing. This is my progress so far with the tank extension.
    I cut out the bottom of the tank to allow it to be lowered and levelled. I buggered this up a bit around the front because I didn't quite nut it out properly. I then cut the tank in half, just behind the filler, about the deepest section. I bent a 135mm strip of 1.6mm steel as best I could to the shape of the tank. I used 1.6mm because I have no faith in my tigging and it's just as well I did, Swiss cheese comes to mind. I then tacked it into the rear section.
    Name:  P_20161221_115657.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  1.64 MB
    With a bit of tweaking I tacked on the front.
    Name:  P_20161221_183252.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  1.68 MB
    Then I used the angle grinder to grind away the front of the tank where it meets the bottom, lowering it about 40mm.
    Yesterday I started on the bottom. In another piece of 1.6mm steel I put in a new fuel outlet, the existing outlet is too high now that the tank is more level. I had a bugger of a go trying to weld in the nuts that will secure the outlet, the arc was coming out at about 45 degrees and I got sick to death cleaning the electrode, I gave up and called it quits for the day. But I was back into it again today. I cleaned all the splatter away from the electrode nozzle, much better.
    Name:  P_20170115_131612.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  1.53 MB
    I found some of my old LP's in a cupboard, I haven't played them for years, some covered in possum piss. I washed them with the garden hose, and let 'm rip. Eric Burdon singing 'When I was young it was more important ...' and Neil Diamond singing 'Shilo, when I was young, you used to call my name...' took me back 40 years.
    Anyway, I've decided I'm not up to scratch with this TIG welding, no way can I do a good enough job. So my son has a mate who is a professional welder, he's coming around next Sunday to see what can be done. Thank God for that.
    Name:  P_20170115_165317.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  1.71 MB
    Tomorrow I will start on the exhaust. I will make a ply template, the plan is equal length cross over headers, Guzzi Griso style, 90cm x 1 3/4" stainless. It should be fun.
    Cheers, Mark

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links